Mayfield and Mahomes

vorpma

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And a new OL

Correct. But the coach is more pressing. Because with no oline he is obsessed with calling 7 step drops. That isn't who Mayfield is or ever has been. He wasn't that guy even in college. It is some of the most mind numbingly awful play calling in my memory. 

25 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That's the exact kind of pass I was talking about.  That exact pass could happen with Allen to Zay and it would have been a pick.  People would be screaming that Josh shouldn't have made that throw... those same people will praise the throw from Mahomes.

This is so true and is the reason Zay is in Oakland. 

Almost every NFL game I watch I hear the announcers talk about how a receiver had to "become a defensive back on that play".  This is a MINIMUM requirement for an NFL WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You sure about that?  Both Brown and Beasley have careers being pretty much JAG.  And as you point out - last year Allen had WR who will be out of the league soon if not already.

I like Mahomes - I think he’s an unreal talent at QB.  But the fact is, he has been blessed with a bunch of things including:

1) a year to watch and learn behind a very good NFL vet with a very good offensive mind in his HC, who clearly put specific effort into mentoring him

2) top-notch talent in WR with Hill and at TE with Kelce.  Both can make “circus catches” with regularity

3) a talented OL with an experienced center to start him off

I think Mahomes laid a little bit of an egg today.  I think he’s become a bit too accustomed to being able to throw off balance and have his guys make the catch or bail him out.

That doesn’t mean he’s not a great QB in the making, or that Allen will be as talented a passer.  But one really can’t overlook the factors above

I do think Mahomes would look different throwing to Brown and Beasley without Hill to take the top off the D.

the expectations for mahomes have gone crazy too. Nearly 300 yards 3 TD and an int would be a breakout game here and it’s getting called an egg there

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, NoSaint said:

the expectations for mahomes have gone crazy too. Nearly 300 yards 3 TD and an int would be a breakout game here and it’s getting called an egg there

Neither Watson nor Mahomes played their best games today and yet they still both had jaw dropping throws and excellent production. I hope I am wrong and Allen can crash the party but I felt like I was watching the AFC's big Quarterback rivalry of the next decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't do it from mobile but somebody could post Mahomes' game log from this season. There is huge difference in numbers between first three games and last three. He has like 56% completion rate last three games.

I am not saying he is bad or anything but find it interesting.

Mayfield stats over last 3 games are just brutal.

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Since last year I have heard that Mayfield and Mahomes were the new Joe Montana and John Elway and Josh Allen a turnover machine! Looks like Josh is leading in the most important statistic - won loss record!! I also read constantly about the new NFL - pass crazy, showtime, arena football, scoreboards like a pinball machine.  Looks like the mighty KC offense and Andy Reid can get beat by ground and pound offense and great defense - how can this be?

Comparing Mahomes with Mayfield is dumb- Mahomes is a winner as long as hit defense does well. Mayfield seems to need an elite D.

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I can't do it from mobile but somebody could post Mahomes' game log from this season. There is huge difference in numbers between first three games and last three. He has like 56% completion rate last three games.

As I said in another thread: Mahomes is really missing having a RB like Kareem Hunt.  It showed up last year in the AFCC game and it's becoming more obvious now.  They are one dimensional.   

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Don’t forget the fumble lost.  3 TD 2 TO.

Did you watch the game?  Perhaps I haven’t watched him enough but I was frankly startled.  He threw a number of incompletions that could have been picked, and perhaps should have been, and that would have been called out as inaccurate throws and poor decisions if he were Allen.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you watch the game?  Perhaps I haven’t watched him enough but I was frankly startled.  He threw a number of incompletions that could have been picked, and perhaps should have been, and that would have been called out as inaccurate throws and poor decisions if he were Allen.  

As key weapons are lost and defensive coordinators adjust to how the loss of those players impact a QB like Mahomes the more he starts to look mortal.  This is a normal condition of the NFL.  Mahomes is a great QB and will bounce back. 

But you're right over the last couple of games Mahomes has made some throws that would have gotten Allen clobbered by certain posters. 

28 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Good call.  Mahomes 54% completion today, 56% and 57% prev. 2 games.

1st 3 games 76, 68, 72%.  

10 TD 0 INT first 3 games, 4 TD 1 INT last 3 games including today.

41 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Actually if you tried to call 273 yards ‘nearly 300’ here in reference to Allen you’d get some pushback.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Since last year I have heard that Mayfield and Mahomes were the new Joe Montana and John Elway and Josh Allen a turnover machine! Looks like Josh is leading in the most important statistic - won loss record!! I also read constantly about the new NFL - pass crazy, showtime, arena football, scoreboards like a pinball machine.  Looks like the mighty KC offense and Andy Reid can get beat by ground and pound offense and great defense - how can this be?

Where do they play?

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven’t seen today’s yet, but I’m comfortable standing by saying part of the issue is expectations from folks that don’t see a lot of non bills games.

The bye week is notorious.

in this case I’m guessing a lot of folks were expecting super human and got a normal decent young QB. In the context of that being his “bad day” and not his “good day” I think it speaks volumes to the player he is- even in a thread like this. 

hes got plenty to prove with longevity still but until 273, 3 TD and 1 int becomes the high water mark instead of a low water mark, he’s in pretty great shape 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I haven’t seen today’s yet, but I’m comfortable standing by saying part of the issue is expectations from folks that don’t see a lot of non bills games.

The bye week is notorious.

in this case I’m guessing a lot of folks were expecting super human and got a normal decent young QB. In the context of that being his “bad day” and not his “good day” I think it speaks volumes to the player he is- even in a thread like this. 

hes got plenty to prove with longevity still but until 273, 3 TD and 1 int becomes the high water mark instead of a low water mark, he’s in pretty great shape 

Living in MO, the KC games are among the most available to us.  But I don’t think I focus on Mahomes - I have bought the ‘golden arm’ narrative completely.  and of course my attention is divided if the Bills are playing.

But yes, Superhuman is how he’s kind of portrayed like Mahomes up on the roof, Mayfield and Darnold on the 2nd floor, Jackson on the 1st and Allen in the basement.    I question that narrative now :)

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Actually if you tried to call 273 yards ‘nearly 300’ here in reference to Allen you’d get some pushback.

Likewise if you mention one INT but fail to mention the lost fumble

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

At some point ,  street ball will stop working for Mahomes.  He hasn’t shown that he can operate very well just standing in the pocket .

Lmao.   He only threw 50 td’s last year ???

1 hour ago, mannc said:

As I said in another thread: Mahomes is really missing having a RB like Kareem Hunt.  It showed up last year in the AFCC game and it's becoming more obvious now.  They are one dimensional.   

They have two capable RB’s.   I don’t think Hunt matters here.