First Real Fall Sunday-Whats for Dinner?

plenzmd1

First weekend home in a month, and the weather looks like a nice cloudy 65, start to rain about 4 PM..in other words first fall Sunday to really enjoy something good and brown to eat!

I am trying this Lamb Shank recipe from Jamie Oliver...seems simple enough, and looks great, so gunna give it a try

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/ale-barley-lamb-shanks/

Pretty sure i will not find umami paste, so debating whether to add anchovy paste or tomato paste...will prolly go with the anchovy paste

Any one else got something nice and brown for Sunday dinner?

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

First weekend home in a month, and the weather looks like a nice cloudy 65, start to rain about 4 PM..in other words first fall Sunday to really enjoy something good and brown to eat!

I am trying this Lamb Shank recipe from Jamie Oliver...seems simple enough, and looks great, so gunna give it a try

Pretty sure i will not find umami paste, so debating whether to add anchovy paste or tomato paste...will prolly go with the anchovy paste

Make your own umami paste:

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Tablespoon Anchovy Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
  • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Asian Fish Sauce
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 3 or four Shitake Mushrooms, chopped finely
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Red Miso Paste (skip this if you don’t have any on hand)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • A pinch of crushed red pepper or a little squirt of Sriracha Sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine all ingredients in a mini food processor.
  2. Process until well blended and smooth.
  3. Taste and adjust ingredients if desired.
  4. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

http://valeriehoff.com/content/homemade-umami-paste-condiment-cant-live-without/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Going to be chicken on the grill with some potato salad in addition.  Not a lot happening today so maybe the beef stew gets made as well because we all know it's better on the second and third days.  I actually get 6 days out of a stew or chili before it starts to turn bad.

When winter hits I do a lot of slow cooker recipes. Today it’s 60 degrees and sunny in upstate NY. Not slow cooker weather yet. 

I am am having my arm twisted to go to a restaurant this afternoon for en extended in-law family event. I’m not happy. I’m glad I’m not missing a Bills game, because that would change my mood from not happy to downright angry.

59 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

When winter hits I do a lot of slow cooker recipes. Today it’s 60 degrees and sunny in upstate NY. Not slow cooker weather yet. 

I am am having my arm twisted to go to a restaurant this afternoon for en extended in-law family event. I’m not happy. I’m glad I’m not missing a Bills game, because that would change my mood from not happy to downright angry.

Look at this as fortunate timing, you earn some points today at minimal cost. 

I cooked my tail off yesterday for about a dozen folks, enough food for an extra dozen! (We had some “maybes” who didn’t make it.)  Now I’m home alone for the next couple weeks and don’t feel like cooking for just myself.....but my wife gave away 100% of the leftovers. Cooking for one is hardly worth the effort. 

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Look at this as fortunate timing, you earn some points today at minimal cost. 

I cooked my tail off yesterday for about a dozen folks, enough food for an extra dozen! (We had some “maybes” who didn’t make it.)  Now I’m home alone for the next couple weeks and don’t feel like cooking for just myself.....but my wife gave away 100% of the leftovers. Cooking for one is hardly worth the effort. 

Blasphemy!  

My mother in law hosts most holidays, and my wife and I are lucky to get enough leftovers for a sandwich. Now that she is in her 80’s my wife and I are hosting some of the holidays.  Having leftovers is one of the only perks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Blasphemy!  

My mother in law hosts most holidays, and my wife and I are lucky to get enough leftovers for a sandwich. Now that she is in her 80’s my wife and I are hosting some of the holidays.  Having leftovers is one of the only perks. 

To be fair, she knows I’m not a big fan of leftovers unless it’s certain things like chili, gazpacho and yes....Thanksgiving! We do Thanksgiving at our place and so far we have about 20 people coming this year. Always a good time, and one of two meals a year I do NOT cook. My wife does that and Christmas. 

While I hate cooking for myself, I DO get to eat the things I like that the wife does not. Always an upside if you look hard enough!  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Make your own umami paste:

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Tablespoon Anchovy Paste
  • 1 Tablespoon Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
  • 2 Tablespoons Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Asian Fish Sauce
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 3 or four Shitake Mushrooms, chopped finely
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Red Miso Paste (skip this if you don’t have any on hand)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
  • A pinch of crushed red pepper or a little squirt of Sriracha Sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine all ingredients in a mini food processor.
  2. Process until well blended and smooth.
  3. Taste and adjust ingredients if desired.
  4. Store in a jar in the refrigerator.

http://valeriehoff.com/content/homemade-umami-paste-condiment-cant-live-without/

you know, i first looked at this and said no freaking way..too much stuff. But i have all this stuff except the shitakes...need treat for after dinner anyway so a trip to the store be quick...wonder if the red miso is needed, i think i have some white.

Thanks Gug

• Like (+1) 2

Went on a 6 mile hike through the Barnstable trails this morning and then had brunch at the Mattakeese  on the harbor. Wife had the Crab cake eggs Benedict and a Bloody Mary. I had a Cape Cod Beach Blonde beer and a full belly clam roll. 

No dinner for me tonight. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

you know, i first looked at this and said no freaking way..too much stuff. But i have all this stuff except the shitakes...need treat for after dinner anyway so a trip to the store be quick...wonder if the red miso is needed, i think i have some white.

Thanks Gug

This looks legit. 

Had one from David Chang (Momofuku) that was pretty good too. :thumbsup: @Gugny

Edited by Nanker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thanks Gug

My pleasure, sir.  Anytime I don't have something, I always hit the google machine to see if I can make a solid substitute.  Hope it works for you!

Cleaning the garage, fertilizing the lawn, getting an oil change, going to Lowe's and going to Walmart killed my plans for any kind of significant cooking.

Lil' Gug is off from school tomorrow, so he's in charge of making the pot roast (putting everything into the crockpot by 11am).  That's tomorrow's dinner.  Spag-n-balls will wait till Wednesday.