A very Brady renovation - classic TV re-creations

RochesterRob

40 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

As I understood it Seinfeld used the exterior of an actual NYC eatery (Tom's) to be the place where Jerry & Co hung out.  Whether the set made for Monk's would correspond to the layout of Tom's I don't know.  As to the Full House house/set yes it would be a project similar to the Brady house but as you noted there are big problems in trying to do that.

I do remember seeing something about Seinfeld and Jerry saying that they used a city street set that was constructed by one of the studios  for the city, but I can't remember if they city was built as a replica of real NYC Buildings. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I do remember seeing something about Seinfeld and Jerry saying that they used a city street set that was constructed by one of the studios  for the city, but I can't remember if they city was built as a replica of real NYC Buildings. 

My understanding is that there are few blocks constructed on a studio lot to simulate NYC and preexisted Seinfeld.  But that is not to say that they didn't do some tweaking and fine tuning for Seinfeld.

If you're ever in Cleveland go check out the A Christmas Story Museum. Much like the Brady renovation they took the house that was shown in the external shots in the movie and redid the inside to be exact replicas of the rooms inside that were Hollywood sound stages.

When you take the tour they give you about 10 minutes of the history then turn you loose for 30 minutes to explore the house and take all of the pictures you would like. It's very cool : The Red Ryder BB Gun is in the corner, the decoder and Lifeboy Soap is in the upstairs bathroom and you can go into the backyard where they filmed all of the Black Bart scenes.

https://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Seinfeld's apartment building was the exterior of one in LA.  You can tell because they show the  quake  retrofitting (the long rebar with the square flanges on the wall). The set for the Full House  home was WAY WAY larger than  any house  on Alamo Square in SF (where the exterior was filmed ).

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

As I understood it Seinfeld used the exterior of an actual NYC eatery (Tom's) to be the place where Jerry & Co hung out.  Whether the set made for Monk's would correspond to the layout of Tom's I don't know.  As to the Full House house/set yes it would be a project similar to the Brady house but as you noted there are big problems in trying to do that.

Was that supposed to be an inside joke? Tom & Jerry?

On 10/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, RochesterRob said:

As I understood it Seinfeld used the exterior of an actual NYC eatery (Tom's) to be the place where Jerry & Co hung out.  Whether the set made for Monk's would correspond to the layout of Tom's I don't know.  

I've eaten at Tom's Restaurant, the interior is smaller than Monks on the show. Side note, the Suzanne Vega song, Tom's Diner, is also about the same restaurant. 

I think alot of people are missing the point, most of these suggestions would be extremely easy to just recreate these sets because they were just sets on a sound stage and not a real location. There's no challenge to it and could easily be done, and that set might even be in storage somewhere or in a dumpster behind a theatre like Merv Griffins set. The point to this was recreating a set in an actual location it was supposed to be based in. The Brady house was a real house, but the inside that you saw on tv was a set that was not based on that houses real interior. The full House set, Monks cafe from Seinfeld, those are possible cause there's an actual building somewhere that the tv show set was supposed to be based off of.

52 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think alot of people are missing the point, most of these suggestions would be extremely easy to just recreate these sets because they were just sets on a sound stage and not a real location. There's no challenge to it and could easily be done, and that set might even be in storage somewhere or in a dumpster behind a theatre like Merv Griffins set. The point to this was recreating a set in an actual location it was supposed to be based in. The Brady house was a real house, but the inside that you saw on tv was a set that was not based on that houses real interior. The full House set, Monks cafe from Seinfeld, those are possible cause there's an actual building somewhere that the tv show set was supposed to be based off of.

So you're saying Puppetland isn't real?

22 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Full House set is impossible. The Exterior Home used clearly doesn't have livable attic space for a family of 4 to live in. Looking at Windows on the 1st and 2nd floors, there's no way you could fit the living room, with the upstairs balcony. The Bedrooms aren't realistic sizes either.

7 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

The Full House set is impossible. The Exterior Home used clearly doesn't have livable attic space for a family of 4 to live in. Looking at Windows on the 1st and 2nd floors, there's no way you could fit the living room, with the upstairs balcony. The Bedrooms aren't realistic sizes either.

Yeah, when it sold recently it was one of the producers I believe that bought it and he intended to recreate the set inside but after having it looked at they said it couldn't be done because the inside was completely different then the outside. I believe he them decided to just have the house fixed up and then flip it. 

• Like (+1) 1