A very Brady renovation - classic TV re-creations

RochesterRob

Just wondering if anybody checked out the 4 episode series on HGTV on recreating the set interiors in the home used to show the exterior?  Not a big fan of the show growing up but did watch it.  Pretty interesting the attention to detail paid to get the look of each room right.  I'm assuming the house will be open to tourists at some point.  Closer to home there is the painstaking recreation of the USS Enterprise sets from the original series in Ticonderoga, NY near Albany.  It would be a long day trip from Buffalo or if you are a leaf watcher a good stop heading to Vermont or New Hampshire.  What else should be recreated?  How many shows are tied to the locale shown.  Many shows had a fairly generic look to a home or business.  By the way the Bunker's living room was resurrected for the special shown earlier this year with Tomei and Harrelson as Edith and Archie Bunker.

I saw a little bit of it. It was interesting that they could recreate it cause many times the exterior they used couldnt match the interior. For the show they also had Discovery channels 'Fast and Loud' (Gas Monkey Garage from Dallas Texas) build Greg Brady a new Brady Bunch Station Wagon that they had on the show too. Apparently they did an unveiling and tour of it too. Rob Zombies Guitarist John 5 is a fan of the show and was personally invited by Cindy Brady to attend with her. HGTV bought the house IIRC and got the idea for the show after beating out a Backstreet Boy or Nsync member who tried to buy it.

I thought if they wanted to do it again they would do the Full House house after the producer from the show bought it. Apparently he had plans to do it but found it wouldnt be possible and instead planned to refinish and flip it because the neighbors were also annoyed by the traffic and people constantly stopping to check it out.

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I saw a little bit of it. It was interesting that they could recreate it cause many times the exterior they used couldnt match the interior. For the show they also had Discovery channels 'Fast and Loud' (Gas Monkey Garage from Dallas Texas) build Greg Brady a new Brady Bunch Station Wagon that they had on the show too. Apparently they did an unveiling and tour of it too. Rob Zombies Guitarist John 5 is a fan of the show and was personally invited by Cindy Brady to attend with her. HGTV bought the house IIRC and got the idea for the show after beating out a Backstreet Boy or Nsync member who tried to buy it.

I thought if they wanted to do it again they would do the Full House house after the producer from the show bought it. Apparently he had plans to do it but found it wouldnt be possible and instead planned to refinish and flip it because the neighbors were also annoyed by the traffic and people constantly stopping to check it out.

While it was a good job done the station wagon did not fit the rest of the show.  As much effort as possible was rendered to make the house look authentic but the custom look of the car was out of place for me.  I guess that I would have to use my imagination and envision an episode where Greg wants to rod the car out to the chagrin of Mike and Carol.

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Just wondering if anybody checked out the 4 episode series on HGTV on recreating the set interiors in the home used to show the exterior?  Not a big fan of the show growing up but did watch it.  Pretty interesting the attention to detail paid to get the look of each room right.  I'm assuming the house will be open to tourists at some point.  Closer to home there is the painstaking recreation of the USS Enterprise sets from the original series in Ticonderoga, NY near Albany. 

That set actually fooled Gene Roddenberry.  The owner showed Roddenberry a picture of it at a convention and asked him what was wrong with it.  Roddenberry looked at it for a few minutes and said "Well, the captain is wearing glasses...wait a minute, is this my bridge set???"

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

What else should be recreated?  

F Troop.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That set actually fooled Gene Roddenberry.  The owner showed Roddenberry a picture of it at a convention and asked him what was wrong with it.  Roddenberry looked at it for a few minutes and said "Well, the captain is wearing glasses...wait a minute, is this my bridge set???"

F Troop.

At some point I am going down to Ticonderoga with a couple friends to check it out.  They also have sickbay, engineering, and the transporter room along with a corridor.  If F Troop is your thing then why not.  I figured before now somebody would re-create Mayberry before the Boomers start dying off.  The original site part of Paramount's 40 acre lot was bulldozed many years ago.  

Just now, DC Tom said:

Because F-Troop was a western.  It had tipis and cavalry posts for sets.  Not exactly a home remodel.

Does not have to be a home remodel.  It just has to be a recreation of a show that you loved earlier in life.  Probably would not have the same effect if done in the Northeastern US that it would in the Southwest.  I just mentioned the remodel to get the ball rolling on what people would like to see recreated.

32 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Wouldn't have missed the Brady Renovation show.

With respect to Marsha, Jan and Cyndi, wasnt expecting Lara Spencer be the hot one on the show.

Though, it seem Lara's career is backpedaling too.

To be fair Lara has quite a bit less mileage on her than the Brady girls.  Maureen looks pretty good just standing there but once she starts talking you can see she is a woman over 60 years of age by looking around the mouth and jaw.  Eve is aware she is a woman of late middle age and dresses appropriately for it.  No ensemble from forever 21 for her.  Susan is still wrestling with the notion of being MILF-y even thought that time has passed for her.  She definitely has a rack that she was trying to understate for the special.  Barry and Christopher have aged the best IMO.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

My kids discovered the original series on Netflix recently....they are totally into it.   Amazing the details I can instantly recall from 40 years ago.

Good thing.  I fear that many kids today see such shows as downright bland and not worth their time.

52 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I've seen the first two episodes, still have to catch up on the rest of the series. 

As for re-creating other sets, how about Gilligan's Island or Hogan's Hero's? 

I don't think that you will see anything done with Hogan's Heroes as the show has been mired in PC hell for the better part of the last 20 years.  Maybe some guy like Bill Gates building his own Stalag 13 closed to the public but nothing else.

Edited by RochesterRob

M*A*S*H would make a cool recreation. I believe the set was somewhere in California.

The compound along with the operating room, recovery room, mess tent, swamp and Rosie's bar would be pretty popular. You could throw in some explosions to give it a lifelike feel.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

M*A*S*H would make a cool recreation. I believe the set was somewhere in California.

The compound along with the operating room, recovery room, mess tent, swamp and Rosie's bar would be pretty popular. You could throw in some explosions to give it a lifelike feel.

MASH was shot at the FOX ranch a little ways outside of LA.  I thought that the steep terrain added for a realistic feel.  At the opposite end of that spectrum Little House on the Prairie was shot on similar terrain but different part of Southern California which looks nothing like Minnesota.  

I thought the point of the question of which one should be next was by doing what they did with this one and recreate the set in the actual house they used for the exterior shots on the show. Most sitcoms had an existing house that had shots taken of just the exterior that would be used as the 'house' with the interior shots being done on a sound stage.

Most of the suggestions so far would be much of a challenge cause it would just involve rebuilding an old set. The challenge with this one was trying to recreate the set inside in existing structure. I guess the happy days diner could be done cause they did use exterior shots of a diner, but did that place actually exist in real life or was it built for the set? And is it still around today? Shows like Seinfeld and Friends had the cafes they would gather at and had exterior shots of, but they were parts of a large city set that the studio had built.

Full House was similar to Brady Bunch and had used an existing house in SF as the exterior, and one of the producers had bought it with the intentions to do it but found it wouldn't be possible. 

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I thought the point of the question of which one should be next was by doing what they did with this one and recreate the set in the actual house they used for the exterior shots on the show. Most sitcoms had an existing house that had shots taken of just the exterior that would be used as the 'house' with the interior shots being done on a sound stage.

Most of the suggestions so far would be much of a challenge cause it would just involve rebuilding an old set. The challenge with this one was trying to recreate the set inside in existing structure. I guess the happy days diner could be done cause they did use exterior shots of a diner, but did that place actually exist in real life or was it built for the set? And is it still around today? Shows like Seinfeld and Friends had the cafes they would gather at and had exterior shots of, but they were parts of a large city set that the studio had built.

Full House was similar to Brady Bunch and had used an existing house in SF as the exterior, and one of the producers had bought it with the intentions to do it but found it wouldn't be possible. 

As I understood it Seinfeld used the exterior of an actual NYC eatery (Tom's) to be the place where Jerry & Co hung out.  Whether the set made for Monk's would correspond to the layout of Tom's I don't know.  As to the Full House house/set yes it would be a project similar to the Brady house but as you noted there are big problems in trying to do that.