At 4-1, what are your record and playoff expectations? [edited title]

ny33

I’m excited for the direction and future of the team and I expect this to be a playoff season. But I don’t think it’s going to be as much of a cake walk as it seems like right now. Fortunes can change pretty quickly in the NFL and a couple of “unexpected” losses has us back in the familiar position of in the hunt. If we take 3 of the next 4, I’ll feel great about our chances of making a run. Even if we go 2-2, we’re still in good shape if we take care of the fish & brownies. It’s definitely a crucial stretch coming up, the bye week was good timing to get healthy and re-set a bit.

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Next six weeks:

Week 7   Miami

Week 8  Philadelphia

Week 9  Washington

Week 10 at Cleveland

Week 11 at Miami

Week 12 Denver

They're all winnable, staying healthy will be important.  Of these, Philadelphia will be a challenge; they're an up and down team who has the potential to lay an egg, just as much as they have the potential to be a dangerous team.  Certainly would be huge to sweep the upcoming six with 4 of the 6 at home.  The next game after that is Thanksgiving at Dallas.

Cleveland has the talent to do some damage if they can get out of their own way.

I'm happy where they are.  If you said in August that they'd be 4-1 I'd take that in a nanosecond.  But some of the fans/media do seem a bit cocky after a bye week in which the Bills did nothing.  Other teams failures don't make the Bills any better.  They barely beat the NYJ, Cincinnati and Tennessee.  Those teams are pretty poor to mediocre.  Bottom line, i don't think the Bills should be a 16.5 favorite over anyone.  If they beat Miami by 21+ then I'll feel better about the O but they've really done the minimum so far and they aren't the least bit explosive. 

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm wondering why this thread wasn't locked, because the other side of the coin (a post that took a lot more effort to make) was. I wasn't involved in that thread, but it seems to me like this thread is only open because it is positive. Seems like pessimistic viewpoints are against the code of conduct on this forum.

I'm not sure what thread you're talking about having been locked.  We have a number of positive and negative threads.

There's a perfectly useable, neutral "what are your expectations?" thread where the OP put in a great deal of effort - it was never locked but slipped off the first page for lack of activity.  Therefore in accord with board policy, one duplicative negative thread and one duplicative positive thread have been merged with it.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to At 4-1, what are your record and playoff expectations? [edited title]
2 hours ago, TPS said:

If they played in Denver, I'd call it a toss up, but at Home, the Bills have the edge. Definitely a game where TOs will most likely determine the outcome.

Yeah I felt a lot better about it when I seen it was at home. Hopefully we get some things cleaned up by then. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

A top defense and a top 10 offense in yardage all while a young team with a lot of new pieces is coming together looks good to me. 

We also add Singletary, Kroft, Foster and Duke into the fold now.

I am concerned with 3rd quarters, the lack of scoring given our offensive outputs and turnovers but those are, at least, correctable

My hope is that the coaching staff identified the adjustment issues and this improves from here on out. It’s one thing if BB can adjust better.... whole different story when Gase does it too. 

Getting Singletary back is going to be big. Having a safety valve for Allen that can turn a 2 yard pass into a 20 yard play is needed. If we’re really lucky Allen has a post injury time off performance jump like last season. 

55 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Cleveland has the talent to do some damage if they can get out of their own way.

Same with Denver. New coaching staffs on both teams. It could click for either of those teams at some point this season. Hard to predict when those games are a month away. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

3-3 would be disappointing with that schedule.... 4-2 at the very least. 

Oh, I agree it would be disappointing to most fans. I said it might be likely though. All it would take is for the Bills to drop a game that they are probably favored in. This happens to many NFL teams over the course of a season. 4-2 would obviously have them in great shape and looks to be achievable. 6-0 would probably surprise even the most ardent homers , except perhaps the OP. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

My hope is that the coaching staff identified the adjustment issues and this improves from here on out. It’s one thing if BB can adjust better.... whole different story when Gase does it too. 

It doesn’t look to me like the Bills scoring issues have much if anything at all to do with adjustments. Major oversimplification. Their troubles have stemmed from lapses in execution and turnovers. While Daboll has had a questionable play call here and there, the overall strategy has been sound. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It doesn’t look to me like the Bills scoring issues have much if anything at all to do with adjustments. Major oversimplification. Their troubles have stemmed from lapses in execution and turnovers. While Daboll has had a questionable play call here and there, the overall strategy has been sound. 

So they just come out “flat” after halftime every game and play sloppy for 15-20 minutes? I think it’s much more likely that other teams adjust at halftime and throw in a few wrinkles that Allen and/ players new to the system don’t recognize immediately. Particularly on the Oline where an unexpected stunt and miscommunication can result in Allen scrambling and playing hero ball. 

I’m not down on Daboll at all. I’m actually quite happy with how the offense looks in general, especially red zone efficiency. However, we have a young QB, 4 new Olinemen, and receivers that haven’t excelled at the scramble drill. I expected a lot of these issues early in the season. It will improve. The encouraging thing is this team corrects third quarter issues and rallies in the 4th. As Allen gains experience and the Oline gel the recognition and communication will improve and errors will decrease. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what thread you're talking about having been locked.  We have a number of positive and negative threads.

There's a perfectly useable, neutral "what are your expectations?" thread where the OP put in a great deal of effort - it was never locked but slipped off the first page for lack of activity.  Therefore in accord with board policy, one duplicative negative thread and one duplicative positive thread have been merged with it.

Thanks for the response. The thread I was referring to is titled "Anybody else concerned this team might not be for real?" It's at the bottom of the first page at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Thanks for the response. The thread I was referring to is titled "Anybody else concerned this team might not be for real?" It's at the bottom of the first page at the moment.

Pessimistic viewpoints are allowed, especially when informed by some football knowledge.

Duplicative threads are not.  The other thing that is not allowed is campaigning or crusading - posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner, without new information or reasoning.  As the guidelines say "We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them".  So a poster's history may come into play when deciding how to handle a thread.  And while mods make efforts to align, we are 100% not a "hive mind"; we do have different viewpoints and respond differently.

HTH

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

[if we lose to the Phins]  I'll go into self exile for 2 or 3 days

Nice work if you can get it.