At 4-1, what are your record and playoff expectations? [edited title]

ny33

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I just don't trust this offense against tough defenses on the road yet.  I hope they can earn my trust :) 

I know. Sooner rather than later, the offense needs to definitively win a few games without expecting the defense to bail them out.They need to get going. That is why it is important for Allen to do well against Miami. Even if it is the Dolphins, Allen could build on that for tougher opponents.

Edited by Rocket94

Vs. Miami - Win

Vs. Philly - Loss

Vs. Washington - Win

@ Cleveland - Loss

@ Miami - Win

Vs. Denver - Win

@ Dallas - Loss

Vs. Baltimore - Loss

@ Pittsburgh - Win

@ New England - Loss

Vs. NY Jets - Win

10-6 regular season. I think we end up at 9 or 10 wins but I'll go with 10 for my official projection. Playoffs depends on matchup but I would guess a wild-card loss.

Edited by DCOrange

This may be a good time to pump the brakes. I'll predict 10-6, but I'm not calling any game on the schedule until it's official - not even against Miami.

We've been good early, squeaking out wins against bad teams. Hopefully the winning continues, and maybe this is the year, but it's a little early to get carried away. 

Most of us have been around long enough to know that 4-1 doesn't mean much. It's a long season and anything can happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Allen losing us more games than he wins is not supported by his record overall as a starting QB, nor his record this season.  I see us losing as many as four games total this season.  I suspect with Brown, Beasley, and Williams as our primary receivers, and Singletary coming back  our offense is likely to be more well rounded and successful. Now we just need our dinged up O line guys to get healthy, and we will be fine. 

Go Bills!!!

Not making the playoffs would be a major surprise and disappointment at this point.  Teams that once looked intimidating aren't anymore.  Yes, KC is still going to be competitive, but they are no longer the unstoppable juggernaut they appeared to be three weeks ago.  New England is still intimidating, especially with the help they get from referees, but they will have one or more losses on their record by the time Buffalo plays them again, and so far Buffalo plays them as tough as anybody.  Josh Allen just needs to continue developing.  

On 10/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I appreciate a guy who takes the trouble to put the thought and time into a post that you put here.

But you lost me right here.  The team is 4-1.  Allen has been the starter for all 4 of those wins.  In the wins, his play has been instrumental in bringing us back.

So how is this even possible? 

I think I understand what you mean: Allen will continue to make mistakes, including some boneheaded plays that result in turnovers and require our D to bail him out, and that won't always happen.  Perhaps "Allen will continue to make critical mistakes that put the Bills in a hole and require defensive excellence and comebacks to win" might be a better way of phrasing it.

I added the team records as of this week in Red, above.

So fundamentally, your prediction is that we win every game against a team that currently has a losing record, even if it's a close losing record like 2-3?

And we lose every game against a team that currently has a winning record, except Baltimore which for some reason you feel is less legit than Philly or Dallas in that record?

I would like to see us finish with a record like 11-4 - double digit wins.  I think it's possible.  But if we finish with that record, it won't be because "Allen is going to lose us more games than he wins", and the chances that we beat every team with a losing record we face are small.

If we've really made progress, we need to beat a couple of good teams - teams that win.

To clarify, if Allen keeps turning over the ball, we will lose to teams like the Bengals and Jets. If he stops doing that, I believe that this team can win the Super Bowl. This year. Probably contingent on Foster being who I think he is- the same guy as the end of last year, who averaged 78 ypg over the last six- and that McDermott and Daboll want his foot/groin etc. fully healed (just like Singletary’s hamstring, better off waiting for a complete recovery as aggravation risk is high) before he sees the field much. 

Edited by ny33

6 minutes ago, ny33 said:

To clarify, if Allen keeps turning over the ball, we will lose to teams like the Bengals and Jets. If he stops doing that, I believe that this team can win the Super Bowl. This year. Probably contingent on Foster being who I think he is- the same guy as the end of last year, who averaged 78 ypg over the last six- and that McDermott and Daboll want his foot/groin etc. fully healed (just like Singletary’s hamstring, better off waiting for a complete recovery as aggravation risk is high) before he sees the field much. 

Except that we didn't lose to the Bengals or the Jets, even with Allen turning it over.  The key is that those teams aren't high octane especially on offense.

Again I think I know what you mean, but the more likely outcome is we still have a decent chance to win over low-octane teams, but we will lose to teams that have more offensive firepower like the Patriots and Cowboys and Ravens (there - I said it).

I like your optimism on the Superbowl.  I don't think we have quite the pieces on offense yet, but I like your optimism

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that we didn't lose to the Bengals or the Jets, even with Allen turning it over.  The key is that those teams aren't high octane especially on offense.

Again I think I know what you mean, but the more likely outcome is we still have a decent chance to win over low-octane teams, but we will lose to teams that have more offensive firepower like the Patriots and Cowboys and Ravens (there - I said it).

I like your optimism on the Superbowl.  I don't think we have quite the pieces on offense yet, but I like your optimism

Most of the team should be in place in 2020. We’ll be in a position to draft whatever skill position/OL we think we need most or trade up for a guy like Jeudy (think Falcons for Julio). In the ‘21 offseason, we’ll lose some guys, but Beane has shown more than enough to give me faith that we can continue to handle the draft and free agency better than the vast majority of teams. If Josh is a little more under control and we can add an impact WR/TE/RB in next year’s draft, I would be disappointed to see this team win fewer than two playoff games.

Again, I think Foster is a hell of a player, and 6 games is a promising-enough sample size, especially given the o line and surrounding talent with a rookie QB last year; it’s not like Jones, as the “stat-filler” given that someone has to get targets and catches, was anything close to that. 

Knox has played 6 games in the NFL.  Josh has 16 under his belt. We have 9 players new to the starting offense (none of whom were on the team last year) and the o-line is clearly beginning to gel better. Don’t be surprised if these Bills start putting up 30 points consistently 5-6 games from now. No offense should improve more from week 1 to week 16 than ours. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2008.htm

Is this offense worse than the 2008 Giants? I don’t think so. And our defense is better (ex. pass rush). Either way, this is the first time that Bills fans should be legitimately excited about a team in this millennium. 

Edited by ny33

On 10/13/2019 at 6:56 AM, HOUSE said:

You have us losing to the Eagles IN BUFFALO?

That team lost to the Atlanta Falcons

hummmmm

I mean the Bills are:

4 missed field goals and a called back (2 on the same drive)touchdown (19 points) away from losing to a Titans team that benched their QB for Tannehill in the next game.

1 point from losing to a Jets team whose starting QB had mono. 

4 points from losing to the Bengals who are basically playing without an OL. 

With the lack of being able to fully dominate on both sides of the ball (put a game away) and propensity for trying to give the game away. The Bills are capable of losing to just about everybody in the league right now. We are also capable of playing with anybody in the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12-4.  5 seed.

We beat Baltimore in round 1.

KC in round 2.  They put up a valiant effort but ultimately playing Mahomes on 1 leg didn't work out.  

We play at home vs the Colts in the AFC championship, who knock off the Pats in a Brisset revenge game.  

Bills beat Frank Reich to go to the SB.

Where we beat the 49ers.  

Chris Berman's head explodes.  

• Haha (+1) 1

[I Expect The Bills To Win Their Next 6 Games - merged]

Why Not?

A very solid roster, 4 games at HOME, the 'D', excellent coaching and Josh coming into his own!

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
merged duplicative thread
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Next six weeks:

Week 7   Miami

Week 8  Philadelphia

Week 9  Washington

Week 10 at Cleveland

Week 11 at Miami

Week 12 Denver

They're all winnable, staying healthy will be important.  Of these, Philadelphia will be a challenge; they're an up and down team who has the potential to lay an egg, just as much as they have the potential to be a dangerous team.  Certainly would be huge to sweep the upcoming six with 4 of the 6 at home.  The next game after that is Thanksgiving at Dallas.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Next six weeks:

Week 7   Miami

Week 8  Philadelphia

Week 9  Washington

Week 10 at Cleveland

Week 11 at Miami

Week 12 Denver

They're all winnable, staying healthy will be important.  Of these, Philadelphia will be a challenge; they're an up and down team who has the potential to lay an egg, just as much as they have the potential to be a dangerous team.  Certainly would be huge to sweep the upcoming six with 4 of the 6 at home.  The next game after that is Thanksgiving at Dallas.

Yeah Eagles are the toughest game and possibly the Browns if they can figure out how to pull their head from their ass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Next six weeks:

Week 7   Miami

Week 8  Philadelphia

Week 9  Washington

Week 10 at Cleveland

Week 11 at Miami

Week 12 Denver

Agreed...on paper, only the Eagles is in question....we SHOULD win all others on that list.....maybe @ Cleveland is up for debate....only because it's on the road...

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Next six weeks:

Week 7   Miami

Week 8  Philadelphia

Week 9  Washington

Week 10 at Cleveland

Week 11 at Miami

Week 12 Denver

So 7 then.

• Like (+1) 2