OJ Howard on the Trade Block?

Came across this link on a Facebook group and found many Bills fans clamoring for the Bills to make a trade for OJ Howard.  It doesn’t mention the Bills as a contender, but with most players on the trade block, fans were like “make this move Beane”

https://www.12up.com/posts/rumors-indicate-oj-howard-could-be-dealt-from-bucs-in-potential-trade-01dq1k6mwnq5

I would love to see OJ Howard on the Bills and think he has a ton of potential and I loved him in college.  I still believe he could be a Pro Bowl caliber player and I’m not sure why he’s done so little in TB.  

With that being said, I don’t really see the Bills making this trade.  They seem to be good to be Knox starting and should have Croft again soon.  Plus Lee Smith is their blocker.  

The bigger concern is what Evan Silva proposed - New England trading two 3rd round picks to TB for OJ.  Right now the Patriots have nothing at TE.  I don’t want to see Howard join that offense and give Brady a legit receiving Target at TE.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wasn't quite as high on Howard as the consensus coming out. I had him as a borderline 1st rather than the consensus first round possible top 10 sort of chatter at the time.

My worry was production. And it still is. He is hugely gifted physically, he can catch, run routes, he could block - even if I wouldn't say his blocking was best trait. But for whatever reason his production was only okay and didn't match the obvious talent. The response at the time was "oh well Alabama doesn't use the TE position that much" but if you have a freak talent at a position you use him, surely? Similarly in Tampa the numbers are okay but don't wow you. I thought he was having himself a year last year before injury but you are still left waiting for the moment when he puts it all together and delivers on the undoubted potential. 

Maybe a change of scenery works for him the way it has worked for Eric Ebron (who I don't quite think was as talented as Howard but was in a similar spot prior to his signing with Indy. 

He’s not on the block. I don’t see why Tampa would trade him; he certainly isn’t producing and hasn’t played well overall, but it would be foolish to trade a TE like Howard when Arians needs Winston to feel as comfortable as possible and have options beyond Godwin/Evans. 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Came across this link on a Facebook group and found many Bills fans clamoring for the Bills to make a trade for OJ Howard.  It doesn’t mention the Bills as a contender, but with most players on the trade block, fans were like “make this move Beane”

https://www.12up.com/posts/rumors-indicate-oj-howard-could-be-dealt-from-bucs-in-potential-trade-01dq1k6mwnq5

I would love to see OJ Howard on the Bills and think he has a ton of potential and I loved him in college.  I still believe he could be a Pro Bowl caliber player and I’m not sure why he’s done so little in TB.  

With that being said, I don’t really see the Bills making this trade.  They seem to be good to be Knox starting and should have Croft again soon.  Plus Lee Smith is their blocker.  

The bigger concern is what Evan Silva proposed - New England trading two 3rd round picks to TB for OJ.  Right now the Patriots have nothing at TE.  I don’t want to see Howard join that offense and give Brady a legit receiving Target at TE.  

He’s done so little in Tampa because Winston is a horrible quarterback. They like to use Brate in the red zone and have seriously messed up not getting Howard involved in the offense. That said why would they even consider trading him right now? His value is at its lowest, he’s on a rookie deal, wouldn’t make any sense to trade him unless they were getting a prime time player like Melvin Gordon or something similar 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So far, pseudo Bills GM lunkheads in here deemed attaining the following as must get.:

A.J. Green

Stephon Diggs

Trent Williams

Von Miller

O.J. Howard

Jay Agayi

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate behavior
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

So far, pseudo Bills GM lunkheads in here deemed attaining the following as must do:

A.J. Green

Stephon Diggs

Trent Williams

Von Miller

O.J. Howard

Jay Agayi

The OP was super rational in his take on OJ Howard. Seems like a weird place to put this post of yours. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't quite as high on Howard as the consensus coming out. I had him as a borderline 1st rather than the consensus first round possible top 10 sort of chatter at the time.

My worry was production. And it still is. He is hugely gifted physically, he can catch, run routes, he could block - even if I wouldn't say his blocking was best trait. But for whatever reason his production was only okay and didn't match the obvious talent. The response at the time was "oh well Alabama doesn't use the TE position that much" but if you have a freak talent at a position you use him, surely? Similarly in Tampa the numbers are okay but don't wow you. I thought he was having himself a year last year before injury but you are still left waiting for the moment when he puts it all together and delivers on the undoubted potential. 

Maybe a change of scenery works for him the way it has worked for Eric Ebron (who I don't quite think was as talented as Howard but was in a similar spot prior to his signing with Indy. 

Ebron is the perfect comparison. Every time I see Ebron play, I am puzzled at how he is so mediocre. I remember a lot of people on this board were clamoring for him to be our pick that year (instead we traded up for Watkins).

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Lets trade for everybody and sign all free agents then maybe these stupid threads will stop.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

some teams just dont use tight ends but watch him go to the pats and be an all pro

The Pats are looking to trade for a star WR or TE.  There was an article in Yardbarker that I read last night.  Whoever does make a trade with them (and we know someone will) it better be for a lot.  I hate it when they are able to get star players for a 4th round pick.