October Movies: Joker, Gemini Man, Zombieland, & JoJo Rabbit

Mark Vader

The month of October is here, which always means one thing.....horror movies. Well, not this year. Those were reserved for the month of September. Scary movies are very scant this month. As the next batch of big titles waits in the wings next month, we are given a diverse set of offerings. Leading off the month is a trip into the DC universe in a different way.

Joaquin Phoenix stars in, "Joker". In Gotham City, mentally-troubled comedian Arthur Fleck is disregarded and mistreated by society. He then embarks on a downward spiral of revolution and bloody crime. This path brings him face-to-face with his alter-ego: "The Joker". Also starring Robert DeNiro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy & Brett Cullen.

Will Smith stars in, "Gemini Man". An over-the-hill hitman faces off against a younger clone of himself. Also starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen & Benedict Wong.

In "Zombieland: Double Tap", Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors, and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family. Starring Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin & Zoey Deutch.

In "Jojo Rabbit", A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home. Starring Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Rebel Wilson, Stephen Merchant, Scarlett Johansson & Sam Rockwell.

Angelina Jolie is, "Maleficent: Mistress of Evil". Maleficent and her goddaughter Aurora begin to question the complex family ties that bind them as they are pulled in different directions by impending nuptials, unexpected allies, and dark new forces at play. Also starring Elle Fanning, Teresa Mahoney & Michelle Pfeiffer.

MGM presents and animated version of "The Addams Family". Starring the voices of Oscar Issac, Charlize Theron, Chloe Grace Moretz & Finn Wolfhard.

Willem Dafoe & Robert Pattinson star in, "The Lighthouse". The hypnotic and hallucinatory tale of two lighthouse keepers on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

In "Jexi", A comedy about what can happen when you love your phone more than anything else in your life. Starring Adam Devine, Alexandra Shipp, Rose Byrne & Michael Pena.

In "Countdown", When a nurse downloads an app that claims to predict the moment a person will die, it tells her she only has three days to live. Starring Charlie McDermott, Anne Winters, Elizabeth Lail & Peter Facinelli.

Finally, in "Black and Blue", A rookie police officer in New Orleans has to balance her identity as a black woman with her role as a police officer when she witnesses other police officers committing murder. Starring Mike Colter, Naomie Harris, Frank Grillo & Reid Scott.

Calendar with Trailers.

10/4

"Joker":     https://www.joker.movie/

10/11

"Gemini Man":    http://skydance.com/film/gemini-man/

"The Addams Family":     https://www.addamsfamily.movie/home/

"Jexi":     https://www.lionsgate.com/movies/jexi

10/18

"Maleficent: Mistress of Evil":     https://movies.disney.com/maleficent-mistress-of-evil

"Zombieland: Double Tap":     http://www.zombieland.com/

"Jojo Rabbit":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2663366425?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_10

"The Lighthouse":     https://a24films.com/films/the-lighthouse

10/25

"Black & Blue":     https://www.blackandblue.movie/

"Countdown":     https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi2813181721?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_3

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

In "Zombieland: Double Tap", Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita, and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors, and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family. Starring Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin & Zoey Deutch.

I just can't go see this.  It's predestined to be disappointing.  They can't possibly top Bill Murray's death in the first one.

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I just can't go see this.  It's predestined to be disappointing.  They can't possibly top Bill Murray's death in the first one.

Dan Aykroyd will show up in this one instead.  I can't name a single sequel that failed after replacing Murray with Aykroyd.:ph34r:

And Joker was great.  They need to hand all the awards to Phoenix right now because he was amazing.  It's chilling how real that movie felt.

Joker is a instant classic for me. Disturbing depiction of a mans decent into insanity. Very well done and Oscar worthy performance Jaquin but I doubt is cause the SJW's warriors hate the movie.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, shrader said:

Dan Aykroyd will show up in this one instead.  I can't name a single sequel that failed after replacing Murray with Aykroyd.:ph34r:

And Joker was great.  They need to hand all the awards to Phoenix right now because he was amazing.  It's chilling how real that movie felt.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Joker has a huge buildup but I felt a bit letdown.  Not sure what i was expecting? I just didn't love it but the acting and all that stuff was fine.  It was dark, very dark.   Arthur Fleck is disturbing.

2 hours ago, Dante said:

Joker is a instant classic for me. Disturbing depiction of a mans decent into insanity. Very well done and Oscar worthy performance Jaquin but I doubt is cause the SJW's warriors hate the movie.

Gee, I was on the fence about seeing "Joker", Now I better get out there and see it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

Joker has a huge buildup but I felt a bit letdown.  Not sure what i was expecting? I just didn't love it but the acting and all that stuff was fine.  It was dark, very dark.   Arthur Fleck is disturbing.

Interesting in that Rupert Pupkin was the same sort of disturbing character in ‘The King of Comedy’.  35 years later, De Niro is now the Jerry Langford character.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Gee, I was on the fence about seeing "Joker", Now I better get out there and see it.

Just a heads up. It's the furthest thing from a comic book movie. I think we have had a discussion before about Marvel movies and they just aren't my thing. This one is  more of a character study than anything else. Nothing "Super Hero" about it. Not very often a movie sticks with me beyond a day but this one sure has. 

I liked Joker.  It was different in that there wasn't really all that much plot when it came right down to it.  It was a deep dive into an individual and very well done.

Phoenix was great.  I thought I'd be comparing him to Ledger but I can't really.    Phoenix's Joker was about society and outside forces shaping him.  Ledger's Joker was about a more evolved Joker having judged the society and manipulating it.  The Joker writers did a great job.  You could see Ledger's Joker arising from Phoenix's or not.  They made it independent but not totally removed.    

It's odd to me that a comic book villain could produce two of the better acting performances I can remember, but I thought Phoenix was great and years later the Ledger Joker still amazes me.

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Just a heads up. It's the furthest thing from a comic book movie. I think we have had a discussion before about Marvel movies and they just aren't my thing. This one is  more of a character study than anything else. Nothing "Super Hero" about it. Not very often a movie sticks with me beyond a day but this one sure has. 

Yeah, I got that feeling from the trailer, and that's fine.

Sounds like this is more along the lines of "Watchmen".

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I thought the Joker was great.  It was a masterful performance by Phoenix.  There is one scene that had me squirming in my seat which I don't think I have ever done before.  The only negative I have is I saw the twist coming a mile away but the movie is built around the twist like many movies are.  This movie is definitely worth seeing.

15 hours ago, Dante said:

I was calling the one of the scariest movies I've seen right after I left the theater because it felt so real.  Everything right down to any of the violent moments, there's no special effects, no massive explosions... each of those moments was so real.  I'll spoiler tag the next part because it's as spoilery as possible:

I love how after watching that entire movie, you have no idea if any single scene actually happened or not.  I enjoy the thought that all things Batman could just be a figment of his imagination.

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I liked Joker.  It was different in that there wasn't really all that much plot when it came right down to it.  It was a deep dive into an individual and very well done.

Phoenix was great.  I thought I'd be comparing him to Ledger but I can't really.    Phoenix's Joker was about society and outside forces shaping him.  Ledger's Joker was about a more evolved Joker having judged the society and manipulating it.  The Joker writers did a great job.  You could see Ledger's Joker arising from Phoenix's or not.  They made it independent but not totally removed.    

It's odd to me that a comic book villain could produce two of the better acting performances I can remember, but I thought Phoenix was great and years later the Ledger Joker still amazes me.

They worked in one really cool homage to Ledger's Joker later in the film.  I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  It's quick, but I saw it as a nice tribute.

edit: And speaking of great Joker performances, we now have 3.  It's a shame that Leto trainwreck actually made it to theaters.

Edited by shrader