2 trades to win this years super bowl...but at what cost

Hebert19

Our defense is VERY good....right as it is right now.....without any further additions (except a LB in next year's draft)

We have starters and depth at all the key positions....we are literally winning every game if we can score 2 touchdowns right now

What we do NOT have is an offense that can score 30 plus points

At some point....we need to bypass the great defensive talent that comes available....and start taking shots at the great offensive talent

Not that our team has really been doing that anyway?  Look at the free agents we have signed.....and just solid drafting.

We need this offense to get better.

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

We are still in good shape long term that's best part.  Nothing changes and we have cap space. 

We lose 1 year of draft picks for a chance to win superbowl. 

We have a chance to win the super bowl.  What don’t you understand?  Our team is very good.  If we decide not to trade for either of them, we still have a chance to win the super bowl.  

You act as if the only way to compete for a title is by giving up a year of draft picks.  You’re wrong

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

So. Here is my question.  If you take current team and add AJ green and von miller...could we win the superbowl?  I say yes. 

So what would the cost be?  My guess is a first and a 3rd.  Maybe we swap some later picks too.  

If so.  And we believe allen is the guy.  And we have our D under contract next year.  We have our 2 receivers under contract as well as our tight ends.  We also have singletary.  We also have a ton of cap room.  

So the core of this team...which is pretty good will be back next year no matter what and yes we will have less draft picks but we have money to add pieces via free agency again on short term contracts.  So nothing lost really.  

If you could make these trades knowing that this team is still a 10-6 team next year...would you make a run at the cost of a top WR and lineman in the draft?

Keep in mind.  We will be picking mid 20s likely so the picks aren't slam dunks.  

To me.  We need to try and win it this year.  

No.

Who knows what kind of shape AJ is in  and Von is great but so is our defense.

We need to run more and then we will score more.

If we dont win this year and even If we do , McBeane will get the right guys in here to get the job done.

The Process is a never ending self evaluation of improvement.

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

So. Here is my question.  If you take current team and add AJ green and von miller...could we win the superbowl?  I say yes. 

So what would the cost be?  My guess is a first and a 3rd.  Maybe we swap some later picks too.  

If so.  And we believe allen is the guy.  And we have our D under contract next year.  We have our 2 receivers under contract as well as our tight ends.  We also have singletary.  We also have a ton of cap room.  

So the core of this team...which is pretty good will be back next year no matter what and yes we will have less draft picks but we have money to add pieces via free agency again on short term contracts.  So nothing lost really.  

If you could make these trades knowing that this team is still a 10-6 team next year...would you make a run at the cost of a top WR and lineman in the draft?

Keep in mind.  We will be picking mid 20s likely so the picks aren't slam dunks.  

To me.  We need to try and win it this year.  

Busting feels good, but it feels better if you build up to it, stay there for a long time and win it (maybe even more than once). Dont wanna be the team that wins it....Then has to sit in it's own mess in shame, missing the playoffs after, or generally limping.

There's 2 games before the trade deadline and I would think that Beane will take a close look at what he has using these games as a test.  

First up the Fins.  My guess is that they'll have a pass happy game.  Lets see what Duke Williams can do now that he's had a game under his belt.   And I imagine Robert Foster will be back.  They'll take a close look as to whether this WR core can handle some more aggressive passing and determine whether they need another WR.

Second is the Eagles which will be a big test for both the O and D against some stronger competition.  DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey should be back by then and we'll see how the D handles all that.  Also plenty of test there for the O to show a complete balance game.

I would think that any deal would be triggered after those tests.  Maybe someone like Emmanuele Sanders (in last year of contract) could be a WR target?  Also, I'm thinking Geno Atkins DT from Bengals as an upgrade over Peko might work.  If they need a LB, it could be someone like Bucannon who was just cut by Bucs and they don't have to give anything up for.  They should be able to get all three w/o parting w/ 2020 first round pick...

Edited by cage

Von Miller is a deal I absolutely would do. My only nervousness there is he has played almost exclusively as an outside backer in a 34 and you are going to suddenly ask him to be a 43 end. I am just willing to trust that his talent is such that he can adjust pretty quickly. 

I am not in on AJ Green as I have said in multiple other threads. The OP says think 1 year... okay.... I am thinking how much help can a 31 year old injury prone receiver who hasn't even stepped foot on a practice field for months be this year? I have been a huge AJ Green fan and I did speculate on making a move for him in the spring after the AB thing fell through. But I am off the bus. I don't know how much good football there is left in AJ Green and even if there is some I don't know how much of it is going to be on display in the 2019 season. OBJ - yes. Diggs - yes. AJ Green - no.  

33 minutes ago, cage said:

If they need a LB, it could be someone like Bucannon who was just cut by Bucs and they don't have to give anything up for.  They should be able to get all three w/o parting w/ 2020 first round pick...

There is a reason the Buccs just cut Bucannon - a guy that those coaches were involved in drafting in the 1st round during their run in Arizona. That reason is he is not very good. 

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Brady had one of the worst games of his career against this defense. 

Mahomes does most of his damage outside of the pocket.  Our defense plays amazing contain, and will then sack you if you try to escape.  Just ask Mariota 

He’s played like a backup (statistically) over the last 5 games. This D can contain him. If Allen has the composure he showed against the Titans, we shouldn’t write off week 16 @NE. Not unlikely that the Pats are sitting at 13 wins and the Bills 12 in a battle for the division. 

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is a reason the Buccs just cut Bucannon - a guy that those coaches were involved in drafting in the 1st round during their run in Arizona. That reason is he is not very good. 

True, but they don't need a starter at LB, just a strong back-up and ST contributor.  Plus again, he wouldn't cost anything in trade compensation.

So we’re getting von Miller for a mid 20’s first rounder? Sounds good. Which end spot is he playing? We cutting Hughes playing time more? Or Lawson who has arguably been the most impactful on the line? I don’t think he helps this defense as a linebacker dropping into coverage.  I mean I get it, he’s Von Miller, but I’ve always been the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kinda person. On top of the fact that there’s zero chance the broncos are letting him go that cheaply. At minimum they would have to get 2 first rounders for him. 

I don’t believe the offensive line is good enough this year. I think the von Miller move would unnecessary and would rather get a RT. I don’t see the brass swallowing their pride as they have so much invested in Cody Ford. He’s in over his head right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I actually don't mind the idea of moving our 1st for a WR. We are going to draft one next year in the 1st anyqay, why not guarantee we get ourselvea a good one?

Is he a good one.  Well maybe I'll watch today's Bengals game and see how he does, or highlights from last week.  I'll have to look up his stats from the Bills game. Or look at last years hightlights, or maybe 2 years back..

15 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I like the idea... but this team isnt quite there yet.   Allen is still somewhat of a project.    Maybe in a couple years if he takes those next steps, but making those types of deals this season would be a bit premature.

I agree with you, somewhat, however, this team is, defensively, Super Bowl ready.

We aren't really that far away, overall, and the time may be right to take a shot at it.

Special teams, especially the punting game, need addressed immediately.