2 trades to win this years super bowl...but at what cost

Hebert19

So. Here is my question.  If you take current team and add AJ green and von miller...could we win the superbowl?  I say yes. 

So what would the cost be?  My guess is a first and a 3rd.  Maybe we swap some later picks too.  

If so.  And we believe allen is the guy.  And we have our D under contract next year.  We have our 2 receivers under contract as well as our tight ends.  We also have singletary.  We also have a ton of cap room.  

So the core of this team...which is pretty good will be back next year no matter what and yes we will have less draft picks but we have money to add pieces via free agency again on short term contracts.  So nothing lost really.  

If you could make these trades knowing that this team is still a 10-6 team next year...would you make a run at the cost of a top WR and lineman in the draft?

Keep in mind.  We will be picking mid 20s likely so the picks aren't slam dunks.  

To me.  We need to try and win it this year.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen is too young to go all in on one year.   JMHO.

I hope Beane doesn’t go splashy or short term, and I don’t think he will.  I think he wants to be legendary, and that means building a sustainable model.

And as fans, we are the clear beneficiaries.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like the idea... but this team isnt quite there yet.   Allen is still somewhat of a project.    Maybe in a couple years if he takes those next steps, but making those types of deals this season would be a bit premature.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

And what happens next year with Von Miller and his 25m cap hit and we need to sign our own?

My thoughts exactly. Miller is a fantastic talent who is seeing a decline in his game already. He’s not getting younger and he is getting extremely well paid. As much as I really like the idea of him completing the trio of linebackers that the Bills currently have, I don’t think that’s the right fit on a financial level.

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And what happens next year with Von Miller and his 25m cap hit and we need to sign our own?

Hes part of the 80M we have available 

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes part of the 80M we have available 

And ps.  Hes only 8M hit if cut after June 1 2020.  

16 minutes ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I actually don't mind the idea of moving our 1st for a WR. We are going to draft one next year in the 1st anyqay, why not guarantee we get ourselvea a good one?

Except AJ Green is old and injury prone wouldn't use a 1st on him.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m sorry, wby doe our defense need more help?

But good job not completely falling into the Trent Williams and Diggs/Green trap

Because our pass rush is average.  And to beat tom brady or mahomes its needs to be better than average.  

Goal is superbowl not playoffs. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

Except AJ Green is old and injury prone wouldn't use a 1st on him.

Sorry.  He'd be the 3rd.  Patriots will grab him for that if we don't. 

29 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Who needs a new contract for next year? Shaq Lawson? 

I’m not sold on this offense being one piece away btw. 

But there is cap cap space next year and even the year after. It’s not until 3 offseasons from now there MIGHT be a cap issue if Allen develops.

thats why they should be looking to add players with contracts like von milller or Trent Williams. As long as the trade price isn’t too steep. 

Edited by Chemical
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Because our pass rush is average.  And to beat tom brady or mahomes we need better punt block schemes

Fixed.

we can beat NE.  The colts D ***** down mahomes.  Our D >>>>>>> the colts D.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Because our pass rush is average.  And to beat tom brady or mahomes its needs to be better than average.  

Goal is superbowl not playoffs. 

Sorry.  He'd be the 3rd.  Patriots will grab him for that if we don't. 

Brady had one of the worst games of his career against this defense. 

Mahomes does most of his damage outside of the pocket.  Our defense plays amazing contain, and will then sack you if you try to escape.  Just ask Mariota 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Exactly.  And green is a free agent and von miller can be cut and only be 8m cap hit.  

Still waiting for a good argument. 

But Green is 31 and on the decline.  Von is also on the decline.  Splashy names but do they fit "The Process?"  If not, don't plan on seeing them.  As someone said earlier.  Beane is building a dynasty.....not a one year wonder......my humble $0.02

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Who needs a new contract for next year? Shaq Lawson? 

Next year and the year after is the real question.  

The list is here.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

Barkley, J. Phillips, Gore (if he keeps playing), Yeldon, Robert, Mckenzie, Foster, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Spain, Dawkins (likely a big increase making 1.1m right now), Shaq, Lorax, Milano (another big payday making 600k right now), Poyer (making 3m but will probably be around 5-6m), Wallace.  I added a few guys that might not be on the team and left off a bunch of back up replaceable players but I'd say about 90% of that list is looking at a new contract over the next 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 2