NE Game Revisted: How Bills Could Have Won On 2 Plays

Dr.Sack

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

In review of the epic showdown two weeks ago, it seemed we let an easily winnable game slip through our fingertips. Sometimes outcomes of games can change based on one or two critical decisions. Here is a strategy we should have employed to win the game knowing we were in a low scoring street fight. Sure Allen struggled, but the Bills moved the ball enough to win the game and were in scoring range. Against a team like NE you need to have drives that end in scores.

3rd & 9 ball on NE 35 1st Quarter 3:39.

• Actual play: Allen is sacked for a 7 yard loss. Bills punt. Score 0-13
  • Better play: Bills run a draw / run to Yeldon or Gore and pick up 5 yards. It's 4th & 4 on the NE 30. Hauschka drills a 48 yard FG. Score 3-13

3rd & 10 ball on NE 26 2nd Quarter 0:29. 

• Actual play: Allen is sacked for a 5 yard loss. Hauschka misses the ensuing 49 yard FG. Score 3-13 at halftime.
  • Better play: Again another draw / run to Yeldon or Gore that picks up 3 yards, it's 4th and 7 on the NE 23. Hauschka drills a 41 yard FG. Score is now 9-13

Bills go on to take a 16 to 13 lead on the Allen 1 yard rush. Allen might not get the concussion, but let's assume it still happened. Due to Bills having the lead they kick a FG on 4th & 3 at the NE 3. Hauschka converts a 21 chip shot. Score 19-13. 

Final Bills 19 New England 13. 

Sacks change games Dr Sack. 

14 hours ago, TroutDog said:

These are always fun but, in reality, everything would change after the first change. 

I’m with you, it was a winnable game. What matters to me at this point is that Josh learns that he MUST protect the ball above all else. 

Actually it’s about protecting field position but the point stands.

If Duke was the target on those two ints and we didnt get the punt blocked we win 105 to 7. Not sure how I get that score but I am confident it is right as Duke fights for the ball when Zay sat back and waited for the ball to cometo him.

52 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Draft DK Metcalf instead of Cody Ford. 

But seriously, you could do this in reverse and for other games as well. We could easily be 1-4 right now just as easily

I have often wondered. What chemical  did you use?

52 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Edited by fansince88

14 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

In review of the epic showdown two weeks ago, it seemed we let an easily winnable game slip through our fingertips. Sometimes outcomes of games can change based on one or two critical decisions. Here is a strategy we should have employed to win the game knowing we were in a low scoring street fight. Sure Allen struggled, but the Bills moved the ball enough to win the game and were in scoring range. Against a team like NE you need to have drives that end in scores.

• Better play: Bills run a draw / run to Yeldon or Gore and pick up 5 yards. It's 4th & 4 on the NE 30. Hauschka drills a 48 yard FG. Score 3-13

• Actual play: Allen is sacked for a 5 yard loss. Hauschka misses the ensuing 49 yard FG. Score 3-13 at halftime.
  • Better play: Again another draw / run to Yeldon or Gore that picks up 3 yards, it's 4th and 7 on the NE 23. Hauschka drills a 41 yard FG. Score is now 9-13

Bills go on to take a 16 to 13 lead on the Allen 1 yard rush. Allen might not get the concussion, but let's assume it still happened. Due to Bills having the lead they kick a FG on 4th & 3 at the NE 3. Hauschka converts a 21 chip shot. Score 19-13. 

Except them on 4th down, Allen doesn't get the TD as the Bills would have kicked a field goal with the score being closer.

17 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Why do people do this to themselves? Its like picking off the scab just so you can put salt on the wound. Points might not be bad, but why?!

This was completely predictable.  Heading into this game, the prevailing attitude was "I won't mind losing to the Patriots, but I at least want a competitive game, not a blow out."  But the problem with that is that if the Bills actually play the Patriots tough -- which they did -- it guarantees that you'll be able to find two or three key plays to obsess over.  All close games are like that.  It was either going to be:

a) Bills get blown out, losing 24-3 or something like that.  The sky is falling, we're a fraud, we're nowhere near being able to compete, etc.

b) Bills lose a close one 16-10 despite outgaining and arguably outplaying the Patriots.  Two weeks and a big road win later and we're still nitpicking every play.

There was never any chance of losing to NE and moving on with our lives.  Any loss was always going to freak people out.

• Like (+1) 1

Utterly pointless.  Someone could tie their cleats in a different way pregame and entirely change the course of the game.

Also super easy to say "Ya on this play something bad happened?  If we did something good instead, it would be different."  No *****, Sherlock.  We also could have been in an even worse position if one single good play got switched to a bad one.  Reality doesn't work like that so no use dwelling on things like that.  It's different from getting screwed by the refs.

16 hours ago, TroutDog said:

These are always fun but, in reality, everything would change after the first change. 

I’m with you, it was a winnable game. What matters to me at this point is that Josh learns that he MUST protect the ball above all else. 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a26afd3051797cead71

16 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

You are not wrong...as I previously stated those sacks on 3rd down were huge!

But to be fair, you can find plays like this in every game.   It doesn’t mean the rest of the game would have played out the same

OP: Bring back Jauron Ball!

We don't need to play conservative. We just can't make the bad play which Allen did in both instances. 

Now if we are talking fourth quarter with two or three minutes left and a FG likely wins the game, cough, Atlanta Flacons, cough then yeah maybe pull out the old draw or even the full back dive.

Both these plays were in the first half and neither was to take or extend a lead to a two score game.

None of this takes into account how differently New England might call their game on both sides of the ball if we keep it closer in the first half.

15 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If John Brown doesn’t get tackled on the 1 with a wide open corner and old Gilmore to beat

That old Gilmore is being talked about like he is the new Revis. And from the little I have seen of him the talk may be warranted. Guy is no slouch. He's about to have his second straight first team all pro selection. 

In a close game like that one their are probably two dozen or more plays we can easily look and say if so and so just does this or that we probably score or force a punt or turnover on downs.

26 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That old Gilmore is being talked about like he is the new Revis. And from the little I have seen of him the talk may be warranted. Guy is no slouch. He's about to have his second straight first team all pro selection. 

In a close game like that one their are probably two dozen or more plays we can easily look and say if so and so just does this or that we probably score or force a punt or turnover on downs.

Gilmore is good.  But the fact that he's now playing for the Patriots and DPI is allowed provided you don't rip the opposing players jersey (or arm) off, is helping him.

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It was supposed to be only* Gilmore. Not old. Autocorrect