NFL analyst predicts Buffalo Bills will play New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game

13 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This whole scenario is likely not even possible. They Very likely playoff seeding will have Buffalo as 5th seed and NE 1st. KC probably 2nd seed. For Buffalo to get through the Wildcard they would have to beat the 4th Seed, toss up between West and South right now. That would make Buffalo the lowest ranking seed to make the second round unless the 6th seed pulls off an upset and wins too. NE by default plays the lowest remaining seed in round 2, which if my scenario plays out would be Buffalo. So AFC Championship would not include Bills and Patriots, Divisional round is much more likely at this point. Even if Buffalo Finished 1st and NE 5th. 

I don't have NE as the 1 seed. I think KC will be the 1 seed. 

Just now, row_33 said:

like last year?

have to look up how that one turned out...

Yea I am not saying the Patriots can't make it back to the Superbowl. I am just saying I think Kansas City will end up as the 1 seed. New England's offensive line would really worry me at the moment if I were a Pats fan. 

12 hours ago, jabu said:

Flipped your numbers?

#3 beating #6 in 11 out of 20 games would make #6 slightly LESS likely. Though I would call it a statistical toss up and say the 6th seed is not automatically in an underdog position. 

Actually, the numbers I flipped were the wins/losses.  #6 beats #3 in 11 out of 20.  

I did end up taking it back to the reorganization in to 4 divisions...and #6 beats #3 50% of the time.  In the old 3-division format, it's less common.  And if you think about it, that makes sense: the 4-division format allows for weaker division-winning team to get the #4 seed, while at the same time puts a potentially stronger team (the second-best non-division-winning team) at #6.  

Of course, now I have to check that against the #5 vs. #4 record - weakest division winner vs. strongest wild card.  Be right back...

19 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This whole scenario is likely not even possible. They Very likely playoff seeding will have Buffalo as 5th seed and NE 1st. KC probably 2nd seed. For Buffalo to get through the Wildcard they would have to beat the 4th Seed, toss up between West and South right now. That would make Buffalo the lowest ranking seed to make the second round unless the 6th seed pulls off an upset and wins too. NE by default plays the lowest remaining seed in round 2, which if my scenario plays out would be Buffalo. So AFC Championship would not include Bills and Patriots, Divisional round is much more likely at this point. Even if Buffalo Finished 1st and NE 5th. 

KC could be number 1, so the Bills would play them in the divisional round and then New England in the AFC Championship Game..

• Like (+1) 1

My statement applies to more than just this thread but this is probably the best place for it.  People are talking about making player moves for a push and just worry that if Buffalo faces NE that the game will be slanted in NE's favor.  I see the zebras penalizing the Bills for well over 100 yards to have Tom and Bill in another SB.  Let's get another draft and FA period under our belt in 2020 then see what is lacking.  Hopefully, this squad could win the SB this year but really think that they will fall short of making the AFCC game.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I'm noticing that's interesting is that a lot of the former player analysts are hyping the Bills while the regular media folks are incredulous. I just saw Deion Sanders say that the Bills - over the Chiefs and Texans - were the biggest competition to the Patriots in the AFC. This after DeAngelo Hall and Michael Robinson floated some hype our way as well. I don't watch a ton of the talking head stuff so maybe my sample size isn't big enough, but to me it looks like the analysts who have real football experience think we're onto something and that feels good. 

• Like (+1) 2

Don't these analysts know better than to pick the Bills to do anything good before we're at least over the 6 win mark?

Doesn't matter if we're 5-0, until I see that 6th win while off to a fast start, I'm not convinced.

The Bills defense is great, but with Allen & this offense playing like they have, it'd be a miracle to get to the AFC Championship game.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:08 PM, row_33 said:

If the Bills can stay in the playoff game late at KC, Andy Reid will crap the bed for the 45th time in a row in a clutch game

so there is that solid Law of football 

They didn't crap the bed last year though, Reid got them to the AFC Championship game with what was essentially a rookie QB, and when that QB left the field, they were beating the best team in the league 28-24 with 2 minutes left on the clock.

Of course Tom Brady marched them down the field & scored in that 2 mins, but even then the Chiefs didn't just give up, they scored a FG to send it into OT. To get that close with that young a QB, and against the inevitable Super Bowl Champs, HOF Coach & GOAT QB says a lot. Acting like we wouldn't have given anything to be in that position the past 2 decades is just crazy.

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Don't these analysts know better than to pick the Bills to do anything good before we're at least over the 6 win mark?

Doesn't matter if we're 5-0, until I see that 6th win while off to a fast start, I'm not convinced.

The Bills defense is great, but with Allen & this offense playing like they have, it'd be a miracle to get to the AFC Championship game.

Thanks Buzz Killington...

Just ride it out for a while... this looks like a pretty open year where a lot of things seem possible...

Edited by Aussie Joe

On 10/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, buffalo2218 said:

A lot can happen between now and the start of the playoffs. Brady has garbage for an O line compared to what he used to have, let's see if he lasts long enough. Mahomes is good, but KC's lack of a defense could ultimately be their achilles heel. Allen really needs to step up his game and make this offense more of a threat. Getting Singletary back will open things up a bit, some chemistry with Duke and hopefully score more points in the 3rd qtr.

Actually Mahomes' ankle, or his Achilles tendon, could be their Achilles' heel.

8 hours ago, Big C said:

One thing I'm noticing that's interesting is that a lot of the former player analysts are hyping the Bills while the regular media folks are incredulous. I just saw Deion Sanders say that the Bills - over the Chiefs and Texans - were the biggest competition to the Patriots in the AFC. This after DeAngelo Hall and Michael Robinson floated some hype our way as well. I don't watch a ton of the talking head stuff so maybe my sample size isn't big enough, but to me it looks like the analysts who have real football experience think we're onto something and that feels good. 

Was actually going to post that.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000001065643/Prime-Why-the-Bills-are-the-Pats-biggest-competition-in-the-AFC

I think the sticking point for some is, it's the Bills and they just can't be good because they haven't been for decades.  There is understandable doubt, given recent history, and that nobody outside of Bills Mafia thought they'd be any good this season.

9 hours ago, Big C said:

Did Neon Deion say that after the Texans game yesterday?

That will be a very difficult team to get by. 

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Whoa, are they saying his achilles tendon is an issue?

No, and I apologize if that is looked at as starting rumors.*

It was a poor attempt at humor, tying in "Achilles" and his ankle injury/injuries the past two weeks.

*If it does turn out his Achilles tendon is injured I'm going to claim I predicted it first, however.

I hope they are right, but I'll be very surprised. There is still a way to go and we do have an easy schedule, but there's no easy schedule in the playoffs. I suspect this team is playing a little over their talent level right now and will come back down a bit by the end of the season as other good teams like the Chargers get their act together and start playing up to their level.

I still think we can make the playoffs, though -- Maybe even win a playoff game.