NFL analyst predicts Buffalo Bills will play New England Patriots in AFC Championship Game

You know what that would be like?  Something Boston fans can relate to.  The Red Sox finally slaying their Yankees demons, coming back in 2004, and winning their first title.  Oh, and changing the entire narrative in the process.

After the last 20 years, I wouldn’t want it any other way.

The whole of Bills nation eagerly awaits the outcome, some of us with our fingers crossed ? Cinderella story, I won’t let my mind go there just yet... ?

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

The loser like a 5seedand likrly winn at4 seed thrn have to p,ayatollah  afc east winner or KC and then play the other in afc championship game.

Hey - don’t bring his Holiness Ayatollah Khomeni into this!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This whole scenario is likely not even possible. They Very likely playoff seeding will have Buffalo as 5th seed and NE 1st. KC probably 2nd seed. For Buffalo to get through the Wildcard they would have to beat the 4th Seed, toss up between West and South right now. That would make Buffalo the lowest ranking seed to make the second round unless the 6th seed pulls off an upset and wins too. NE by default plays the lowest remaining seed in round 2, which if my scenario plays out would be Buffalo. So AFC Championship would not include Bills and Patriots, Divisional round is much more likely at this point. Even if Buffalo Finished 1st and NE 5th. 

You could've just said the Bills likely would have to beat KC in the Divisional round for it to even be possible.  I agree that it's highly unlikely to win twice on the road against division winners in the playoffs.  Anything's possible though.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

That was a HUGE win against the Titans for the trajectory of this season. Those are the games the Bills almost always lose. Things are definitely getting better.

Gigantic win.  Any win against an AFC team possibly in the playoff hunt is huge when it comes to tiebreakers.  It's still hilarious to me that we lost to the Chargers but won the tiebreaker against them to sneak in as the #6 seed in '17 because of some crazy three way tiebreaking scenario.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You could've just said the Bills likely would have to beat KC in the Divisional round for it to even be possible.  I agree that it's highly unlikely to win twice on the road against division winners in the playoffs.  Anything's possible though.

Gigantic win.  Any win against an AFC team possibly in the playoff hunt is huge when it comes to tiebreakers.  It's still hilarious to me that we lost to the Chargers but won the tiebreaker against them to sneak in as the #6 seed in '17 because of some crazy three way tiebreaking scenario.

Crazy quirk there with San Diego. Just bizarre. But it was nice to get the monkey off the back even if it didn't amount to much.

This was a conference game against a "decent" team that may or may not be in the WC hunt by the end of the season. You never know. I can think of several examples of very similar games off the top of my head. I think we all know how those games went in season's past.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thronethinker said:

This whole scenario is likely not even possible. They Very likely playoff seeding will have Buffalo as 5th seed and NE 1st. KC probably 2nd seed. For Buffalo to get through the Wildcard they would have to beat the 4th Seed, toss up between West and South right now. That would make Buffalo the lowest ranking seed to make the second round unless the 6th seed pulls off an upset and wins too. NE by default plays the lowest remaining seed in round 2, which if my scenario plays out would be Buffalo. So AFC Championship would not include Bills and Patriots, Divisional round is much more likely at this point. Even if Buffalo Finished 1st and NE 5th. 

Your logic is sound but all of the assumptions are way too early. It’s probably not likely, but it’s definitely possible. 

Anyone know when the last time we saw a same-division championship game?

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Your logic is sound but all of the assumptions are way too early. It’s probably not likely, but it’s definitely possible. 

Anyone know when the last time we saw a same-division championship game?

Bills vs Dolphins in 93 comes to mind. Not sure about after that. 

1 hour ago, thronethinker said:

Bills vs Dolphins in 93 comes to mind. Not sure about after that. 

2013 49ers v. Seahawks. Sorry receiver bowl. 

2008 Ravens v. Steelers in the AFC.

I looked it up myself.

Also, looking up the AFC championship game history is really vomit inducing when seeing the patriots there every single year

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

In fact, going back 10 years (all I'm willing to do right now) the #3 seed beats the #6 11 out of 20 games.  Not only is it not rare, it's slightly more likely than not.  

Flipped your numbers?

#3 beating #6 in 11 out of 20 games would make #6 slightly LESS likely. Though I would call it a statistical toss up and say the 6th seed is not automatically in an underdog position. 

A lot can happen between now and the start of the playoffs. Brady has garbage for an O line compared to what he used to have, let's see if he lasts long enough. Mahomes is good, but KC's lack of a defense could ultimately be their achilles heel. Allen really needs to step up his game and make this offense more of a threat. Getting Singletary back will open things up a bit, some chemistry with Duke and hopefully score more points in the 3rd qtr.

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

2013 49ers v. Seahawks. Sorry receiver bowl. 

2008 Ravens v. Steelers in the AFC.

I looked it up myself.

Also, looking up the AFC championship game history is really vomit inducing when seeing the patriots there every single year

And the variety of teams that played in the NFC title game during the Pats Dynasty