Would you be interested in the NFL implementing the new college OT rules?

Buffalo03

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

No. The college rule is goofy IMHO. 

I prefer sudden death.  You gotta end it sometime.  In 60 minutes of regulation the team that loses the toss no doubt had opportunities to score and did not.  Too bad so sad.  You gotta handle it on all 3 sides of the game to win.

And it’s likely the teams that won the toss missed opportunities as well. All rules in the NFL are set up to favor the offense, so OT has to reflect that with some measure of fairness. 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

This.  Ties worked fine for decades in college and pros.

Perhaps hockey was different, but NFL overtime rules were not modified in order to reduce the amount of ties. 

Not at all, the college setup is a circus gimmick 

worst of all they count the seats for TD receptions and runs as if it’s regulation achievement 

The NFL can’t be held hostage to most fans whining like a little B word when their team loses, and yet oddly forgetting all their grandiose complaints when their team wins

14 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

No. Not a fan of college OT, or hockey shootouts for that matter.  OT in both sports should be sudden death played by the same rules as regulation IMO. 

What if Dolphins-Redskins today is tied 0-0 after regulation, do you want them to keep going until someone scores?  They may still be playing on Tuesday.  And the fans will have left at halftime.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I like college overtime rules far better than NFL since it is a brutal game and these teams are pretty evenly matched if tied after 60. I also want to say soccer penalty kicks is worst way to end- like basketball doing foul shots to decide overtime. Soccer should do like hockey and have OT be 6 players per team decide it. 

NHL has a 5 minute OT period with 3 skaters a side. If still tied they go to a shootout of 3 "innings" per side. If still tied it goes into extra innings until either team takes the lead after both teams have taken a shot in the extra inning. There can be an infinite amount of extra innings. THIS IS FOR THE REGULAR SEASON ONLY. This is done because the NHL has a long season and plays 5 times more games than the NFL.

The NHL realizes that their OT and SO rules for the regular season are a compromise at best to accommodate the teams playing in a different city the next night. They do not compromise their game in the playoffs. They play extra full 20 minute periods until either team scores. In other words sudden death.

The NHL system has been criticized but actually works pretty well and prevents a team playing in Boston on a Thursday, going into 3 full OT's and then arriving at 3:00am for a game Friday night in Tampa. Their traditional playoff approach of however many OT periods as it takes is fair to both teams. Not only are they both subjected to the extra time of the game but there is at least one off-day between games.

I don’t like the OT rules for college or the nfl. I would rather see a 8 min quarter added and whatever the score is after, is the score. If it’s tied, you play another quarter. There is no reason for ties to still exist and the clock on the current OT structure needs to go. If you are giving teams at least 1 possession, do not use the clock. It pins in that second drive with less time and although it hasn’t happened yet, a team could potentially hold the ball for the entire time and kick a fg and give the other team 0 seconds to answer. I’d say just play another quarter. No other major sport has ties anymore and they all do it that way.

The original NFL OT rule gave a tiny advantage to the team winning the coin toss, including wins on second and subsequent possessions

Almost everyone refuses to believe this

they remember only all the losses just like they remember only their wins in gambling

strange and sad phenomenon 

56 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t like the OT rules for college or the nfl. I would rather see a 8 min quarter added and whatever the score is after, is the score. If it’s tied, you play another quarter. There is no reason for ties to still exist and the clock on the current OT structure needs to go. If you are giving teams at least 1 possession, do not use the clock. It pins in that second drive with less time and although it hasn’t happened yet, a team could potentially hold the ball for the entire time and kick a fg and give the other team 0 seconds to answer. I’d say just play another quarter. No other major sport has ties anymore and they all do it that way.

NHL not a major sport?  Soccer not a major sport (at least worldwide)?

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There haven’t been ties in hockey for years and no to soccer 

Oh, right. But you still score a point if tied in OT. My bad. And duh, Soccer os the most major sport in the world.

For the record, I'm not "pro tie". I'm "anti gimmick". Baseball and basketball have the best way to handle ties, IMO. Play the freaking game. With that said, having a tie or two in regular season isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by The Dean