Would you be interested in the NFL implementing the new college OT rules?

Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I just read an article that this is a new college rule just put in place for 2019.

I knew there were some new rules put in place

But the 25 yard starting position and both getting possessions have been around a bit

Edited by Buffalo716

So many awesome ideas for how to completely change the rules of the game because it happens to be the fifth quarter.

Hey, I know!  In OT you only need 8 yards for a first down, and running backs are only allowed to carry the ball in their left arm!

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

So many awesome ideas for how to completely change the rules of the game because it happens to be the fifth quarter.

Hey, I know!  In OT you only need 8 yards for a first down, and running backs are only allowed to carry the ball in their left arm!

Well I am left handed!

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I was with you up until two of three.

It would be more fair than the current NFL overtime rules. Apparently having a balanced overtime is too much for some to process.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It would be more fair than the current NFL overtime rules. Apparently having a balanced overtime is too much for some to process.

Why is one out of one less balanced than 2 out of 3 in rock paper scissors?

Edited by SinceThe70s

I really hate the coin toss aspect of the current OT format. It's better than it was before considering all they needed previously was a FG. Still don't like it. I don't think there's any way to fix it unfortunately. I don't believe an XFL like scrum is an option.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

To me it’s a little like (but not nearly as horrible as) soccer going to penalty kicks to decide the game. I don’t like it. Keep playing the game we started out playing. I see why they do it, but I just never learned to like it. Winning the coin toss and going on D first is a huge advantage as you know exactly what you have to do on offense. 

Having said all that, I see no perfect solutions. 

I like college overtime rules far better than NFL since it is a brutal game and these teams are pretty evenly matched if tied after 60. I also want to say soccer penalty kicks is worst way to end- like basketball doing foul shots to decide overtime. Soccer should do like hockey and have OT be 6 players per team decide it. 

Just let a tie stand after regulation during the regular season. In the post season, go to last year’s college rules. 

Why are are we so averse to a tie?  It has implications in the tie breaker rules, so it’s not like the game wasn’t played. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Just let a tie stand after regulation during the regular season. In the post season, go to last year’s college rules. 

Why are are we so averse to a tie?  It has implications in the tie breaker rules, so it’s not like the game wasn’t played. 

This.  Ties worked fine for decades in college and pros.

• Like (+1) 2