Would you be interested in the NFL implementing the new college OT rules?

Buffalo03

3 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

There is no good answer for OT. I don’t like the college OT because it really isn’t actual football. If it were to make it more fair I would actually get rid of sudden death and just play an extra 10 or 15 minutes to determine a winner.

I’d like to see 5 minute periods.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

So, I just watched the South Carolina vs Georgia game and I was not aware that college changed their OT rules. It's been set up almost like the NHL does their shootouts in hockey. The game goes into OT and each team gets one possession at the opponents 25 yard line and has four downs to either get a first down and drive the whole 25 yards for a TD or kick a field goal to try to take the lead. The other team then gets their chance to do the same. If both teams don't score after each of their possessions then it goes into a 2nd OT and the same rules apply. There is a game clock but not a time clock. Each team just gets one possession in each OT until one team finally scores and the doesn't. It's very interesting. I really enjoyed watching it. Would anyone be interested in the NFL implementing the same thing? I hate ties so I personally would love it.

Sounds like you haven’t watched a college football game since 1996– I think that’s when they adopted their OT format!! ?

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Sounds like you haven’t watched a college football game since 1996– I think that’s when they adopted their OT format!! ?

No, there's a brand new format. I knew about the one they implemented in 1996. They just made a new OT format this year

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think the NFL format is the best.  It's fair and if the game ends up in a tie so be it.

Have you watched the new college OT format? And, why would you be ok with ties? If it can be eliminated, I'd say do it 

40 minutes ago, H2o said:

I would, but I would start them at the 40 versus the 25. 

Agreed.

What I haven't liked about college OT in recent years is that -- like hockey and soccer shootouts -- they're not playing the original game anymore under the OT rules.   Not only are punts and kickoffs gone, but -- especially in the NFL -- starting at the 25 means you're already in FG range.  There have been games that were 21-21 at the end of regulation that ended 69-68.  I assume that's why they changed the rules for this year (which I hadn't known until I read this chain, but it must be true because I'm reading it on TBD, right?).  At least hockey and soccer have OT periods before they go to shootouts.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Have you watched the new college OT format? And, why would you be ok with ties? If it can be eliminated, I'd say do it 

Yes I have.

Ties have been an acceptable result in football since it's inception and the current rules in the NFL has reduced them to an average of 1 a season.

I see no reason to change it.

3 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Agreed.

What I haven't liked about college OT in recent years is that -- like hockey and soccer shootouts -- they're not playing the original game anymore under the OT rules.   Not only are punts and kickoffs gone, but -- especially in the NFL -- starting at the 25 means you're already in FG range.  There have been games that were 21-21 at the end of regulation that ended 69-68.  I assume that's why they changed the rules for this year (which I hadn't known until I read this chain, but it must be true because I'm reading it on TBD, right?).  At least hockey and soccer have OT periods before they go to shootouts.

agree

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes I have.

Ties have been an acceptable result in football since it's inception and the current rules in the NFL has reduced them to an average of 1 a season.

I see no reason to change it.

agree

Just because it's been that way forever doesn't mean it shouldn't be eliminated. Ties suck honestly and while the NFL has made it more fair by giving each team at least one possession in OT. They have reduced the OT quarter from 15mins to 10 mins which has actually increased ties quite a bit the last few years. The 10 minute quarter is stupid in my opinion to. That last 5 mins would have no bearing that the other 70 minutes of play had on player safety

27 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Just because it's been that way forever doesn't mean it shouldn't be eliminated. Ties suck honestly and while the NFL has made it more fair by giving each team at least one possession in OT. They have reduced the OT quarter from 15mins to 10 mins which has actually increased ties quite a bit the last few years. The 10 minute quarter is stupid in my opinion to. That last 5 mins would have no bearing that the other 70 minutes of play had on player safety

Not true.

Also the Bills have not had a tie since 1972.

You don't have to agree with me, nor I you.

fwiw 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games

never in favor of the college OT. Way too artificial scoring. 

My solution for NFL OT involves a radical rule.2 choices

1. eliminate OT altogether and give both teams a loss if any game ends in tie. (it is all about player safety right?)

2. still use current NFL OT rules except if still ending in a tie both teams get a loss.

16 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Hell no.

Why not just go all the way and replace football with a pass, punt and kick competition.  No one will ever get hurt, every single thing is reviewable.....should make the lame people very happy.

Couldn’t agree more. Plenty of jobs pay crap and put peoples minds and bodies at risk. We don’t care about that though. It’s the millionaires we need to worry about and cry for protection.

What they HAVE to do is guarantee each team at least one possession at least only for the playoffs. The chiefs absolutely should have gotten one more chance with the ball in the title game last year. Everyone knew the pats were going to end it as soon as they won the coin toss. Its bs.  Its a simple and easy fix really

Edited by BillsSbSoon

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

No. The college rule is goofy IMHO. 

I prefer sudden death.  You gotta end it sometime.  In 60 minutes of regulation the team that loses the toss no doubt had opportunities to score and did not.  Too bad so sad.  You gotta handle it on all 3 sides of the game to win.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

It also means you D got run over which is a big part of the game too. And, it is also possible to score on D or take the ? football away.

Completely agree with all of the above.

I love the finality of sudden death. Allowing a game to get tied in overtime doesn't appeal to me at all.

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

So, I just watched the South Carolina vs Georgia game and I was not aware that college changed their OT rules. It's been set up almost like the NHL does their shootouts in hockey. The game goes into OT and each team gets one possession at the opponents 25 yard line and has four downs to either get a first down and drive the whole 25 yards for a TD or kick a field goal to try to take the lead. The other team then gets their chance to do the same. If both teams don't score after each of their possessions then it goes into a 2nd OT and the same rules apply. There is a game clock but not a time clock. Each team just gets one possession in each OT until one team finally scores and the doesn't. It's very interesting. I really enjoyed watching it. Would anyone be interested in the NFL implementing the same thing? I hate ties so I personally would love it.

This has been college OT rules for a pretty good amount of time

After the 3rd OT you must go for 2 also