Would you be interested in the NFL implementing the new college OT rules?

Buffalo03

So, I just watched the South Carolina vs Georgia game and I was not aware that college changed their OT rules. It's been set up almost like the NHL does their shootouts in hockey. The game goes into OT and each team gets one possession at the opponents 25 yard line and has four downs to either get a first down and drive the whole 25 yards for a TD or kick a field goal to try to take the lead. The other team then gets their chance to do the same. If both teams don't score after each of their possessions then it goes into a 2nd OT and the same rules apply. There is a game clock but not a time clock. Each team just gets one possession in each OT until one team finally scores and the doesn't. It's very interesting. I really enjoyed watching it. Would anyone be interested in the NFL implementing the same thing? I hate ties so I personally would love it.

Edited by Buffalo03

I'm not sure. This game went into a 2nd OT and each team got a possession and both missed field goals in the first OT and then South Carolina made a field goal in the 2nd OT and the Georgia kicker missed his field goal in the 2nd OT so South Carolina ended up winning the game

The change this year is, apparently, that after the second overtime period, all succeeding overtimes are only one play for each team, a two-point conversion.  So it's like a shootout.  No more starting at the 25 after the second overtime.  That's a good idea. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The change this year is, apparently, that after the second overtime period, all succeeding overtimes are only one play for each team, a two-point conversion.  So it's like a shootout.  No more starting at the 25 after the second overtime.  That's a good idea. 

Oh ok. This game only made it to a 2nd OT so I wasn't able to see how it works past that but I really loved watching it. It was really interesting

To me it’s a little like (but not nearly as horrible as) soccer going to penalty kicks to decide the game. I don’t like it. Keep playing the game we started out playing. I see why they do it, but I just never learned to like it. Winning the coin toss and going on D first is a huge advantage as you know exactly what you have to do on offense. 

Having said all that, I see no perfect solutions. 

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

No. Not a fan of college OT, or hockey shootouts for that matter.  OT in both sports should be sudden death played by the same rules as regulation IMO. 

Would you not give each team a chance for a possession? That puts a lot of weight on a coin toss. I know, you can say “play defense and stop them”, but it still doesn’t feel right. Again, I don’t have a solution, only concerns. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Would you not give each team a chance for a possession? That puts a lot of weight on a coin toss. I know, you can say “play defense and stop them”, but it still doesn’t feel right. Again, I don’t have a solution, only concerns. 

I agree with you here. I like the way the NFL does it now where one team each gets a possession but the way this new college rule does it seems like it's more entertaining and better because it eliminates ties completely 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

My old school side would prefer true sudden death, but I think the current NFL setup is a fair enough compromise. TD on the first drive wins it, but a field goal gives the other team one possession to tie or beat it. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

My old school side would prefer true sudden death, but I think the current NFL setup is a fair enough compromise. TD on the first drive wins it, but a field goal gives the other team one possession to tie or beat it. 

Yeah, I don’t see a batter way, so........

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Don't they have to go for a TD too at a certain point?

This was just clarified for me. Yes, they do. If both teams are tied after 2 OTs then it goes to a 3rd where each team gets just one play from opponents 2 yard line like a two point conversion. If one team scores on their play then then other team gets one play. If they don't score, the other team wins. I love this idea

Edited by Buffalo03

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

This was just clarified for me. Yes, they do. If both teams are tied after 2 OTs then it goes to a 3rd where each team gets just one play from opponents 2 yard line like a two point conversion. If one team scores on their play then then other team gets one play. If they don't score, the other team wins. I love this idea

Cool, I'd prefer if it was more tiered than that like 1st OT both can get a TD or FG 2nd Only TD and 3rd that 2pt conversion play.

No. The college rule is goofy IMHO. 

I prefer sudden death.  You gotta end it sometime.  In 60 minutes of regulation the team that loses the toss no doubt had opportunities to score and did not.  Too bad so sad.  You gotta handle it on all 3 sides of the game to win.

I don't care for the NFL version of overtime ... Either give both teams an opportunity to win the game ... Judge the winner on who wins the coin toss ... Just give the patriots the win ... Or let the teams play for it by giving each team a chance from midfield.

Losing the game without touching the ball is like losing based on the flip of a coin.