Bye Week Throwback. Championship Road in the ‘60’s

Chandler#81

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Chuck Knox took over a 3 - 11 team in 1978 and had the Bills in the playoffs by 1980. Marv Levy took over a 2 - 14 team in 1985 and made the playoffs by 1980; both efforts had great drafts and the Levy team stayed in the hunt for 12 years - to include Wade Phillips time. This team made horrible coaching, scouting, and drafting decisions throughout a 17 year period creating a culture of mediocrity - I remember posters on TBD thinking we were only a player away when in truth we were not even close. You don't fix 17 years of dysfunction in a "short amount of time" when you have to construct a new organization and culture. McBeane is in year three and has one playoff game under his belt and 2019 is shaping up pretty well, building an organization based on long term culture and character not fly by night divas!

And yes, the young fan base has earned their stripes as you say, but so have those of us that lived through 1968, 1976, 1977, 1984, and 1985 - you can't even imagine the pain!

Correction Levy had us in the playoffs by 1988 after just missing in 1987!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, vorpma said:

And yes, the young fan base has earned their stripes as you say, but so have those of us that lived through 1968, 1976, 1977, 1984, and 1985 - you can't even imagine the pain!

I mean I did have to watch 3 years of Tyrod Taylor running around in circles refusing the throw the football, sooooo.......

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Sometimes we used take the bus from the former sunny side restaurant on Clinton and transit. Those were the days Into the east side.

For us, it was a charter bus from the local fire department. Head to fire hall around 8:30 for a pancake breakfast, load up and ship out to WMS. Safe, and Great memories made. Even had a keg and a bathroom on the bus! 

5 hours ago, KayAdams said:

That's not fair to characterize the younger Bills fan base like that, for two reasons:

1. In the modern NFL, it's much easier to rebuild a team from scratch in a comparatively shorter amount of time. Three years is enough time to expect a competent GM and HC to take a cellar dweller to playoff contention.

2. Any Bills fan under 30 years old probably has no memory of a home playoff game or a playoff victory (January 1996). No professional sports fan should ever have to experience their favorite team missing the playoffs for 17 straight years. The young Bills fans who are still fans have more than earned their stripes.

#2 I agree that 17 years is utterly ridiculous. But I spent many years going to games @WMS & Rich (et al) following 1, 2 & 3 win teams -and loving every minute. The 17 year abyss had one 3-13 team. Otherwise, it was a charade of 6-10 through 9-7 teams that at least fostered hope every year and for a better tomorrow. I’d be more accepting and maybe even forgiving if -generally speaking- they weren’t such privileged asses with near zero respect for the entire legacy. Even here, a quick scan of topics usually tells me the approximate age of the OP at a glance and the corresponding drivel reinforces the belief. I’ll be hated for this, until they’re older..

• Like (+1) 1

One of my fondest memories of the AFL days, besides the championships, hanging in the Cardinal O’Hara locker room with the Bills when my dad would ref their basketball games, catching a pass from Jack Kemp, having Cookie pick me up and put me on his shoulders, seeing the Hit Heard Round the World?

Watching guys bring cases of Genny into the Rockpile for games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

One of my fondest memories of the AFL days, besides the championships, hanging in the Cardinal O’Hara locker room with the Bills when my dad would ref their basketball games, catching a pass from Jack Kemp, having Cookie pick me up and put me on his shoulders, seeing the Hit Heard Round the World?

Watching guys bring cases of Genny into the Rockpile for games.

Cases of Beer! Imagine that today! Everybody bring a 30 pack! 

Edited by Rocket94

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

For us, it was a charter bus from the local fire department. Head to fire hall around 8:30 for a pancake breakfast, load up and ship out to WMS. Safe, and Great memories made. Even had a keg and a bathroom on the bus! 

#2 I agree that 17 years is utterly ridiculous. But I spent many years going to games @WMS & Rich (et al) following 1, 2 & 3 win teams -and loving every minute. The 17 year abyss had one 3-13 team. Otherwise, it was a charade of 6-10 through 9-7 teams that at least fostered hope every year and for a better tomorrow. I’d be more accepting and maybe even forgiving if -generally speaking- they weren’t such privileged asses with near zero respect for the entire legacy. Even here, a quick scan of topics usually tells me the approximate age of the OP at a glance and the corresponding drivel reinforces the belief. I’ll be hated for this, until they’re older..

I use to pick up the bus at Klines Restaurant in Pendleton, same thing pancakes then beer on the bus! Those were some tough days but would not trade for anything!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Great photos by the OP.  

Yes, I grew up in the 60s-70’s.   Loved the AFL and still have the AFL football cards and a few old team photos from the time.   I really think part of the charm of the AFL and NFL pre merger was the scarcity of the product.  Sunday games, fewer teams, the switch from 12 to  14 games, you got your info from newspapers ( Buffalo had two), radio, magazines.  A Bills highlight show once a week on local TV.   Of course the players were different too, many of them worked another job in the offseason, few were training year round.   The players as a whole were definitely more reserved/modest, one only need watch the old films to see that.  

I definitely like the stripped down coverage and there seemed to be more clarity on the rules and calls ... today everything is over blown, over-analyzed, and almost every call on the field open for debate.  In comparison, Less is more.  

The AFL was a catalyst for Pro football’s  growth.  Once the leagues started stealing players that really led to the fast merger.  Monday Night Football was probably the thing that took the NFL popularity to the next level.   

As for all this stuff about older fans knowing more about football and rebuilds than younger fans I think that is total BS.  Todays fans know a ton of information, stats, fantasy leagues, social media, endless talk shows and highlights, streaming and restreaming, blogs, tweets, forums, etc, etc. etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Great photos by the OP.  

Yes, I grew up in the 60s-70’s.   Loved the AFL and still have the AFL football cards and a few old team photos from the time.   I really think part of the charm of the AFL and NFL pre merger was the scarcity of the product.  Sunday games, fewer teams, the switch from 12 to  14 games, you got your info from newspapers ( Buffalo had two), radio, magazines.  A Bills highlight show once a week on local TV.   Of course the players were different too, many of them worked another job in the offseason, few were training year round.   The players as a whole were definitely more reserved/modest, one only need watch the old films to see that.  

I definitely like the stripped down coverage and there seemed to be more clarity on the rules and calls ... today everything is over blown, over-analyzed, and almost every call on the field open for debate.  In comparison, Less is more.  

The AFL was a catalyst for Pro football’s  growth.  Once the leagues started stealing players that really led to the fast merger.  Monday Night Football was probably the thing that took the NFL popularity to the next level.   

As for all this stuff about older fans knowing more about football and rebuilds than younger fans I think that is total BS.  Todays fans know a ton of information, stats, fantasy leagues, social media, endless talk shows and highlights, streaming and restreaming, blogs, tweets, forums, etc, etc. etc.  

I didn’t say they do. Assuredly, we’re able to access tons more info than 2 newspapers and a half hour every Saturday these days. It’s the arrogance that gets my gout. 

• Like (+1) 2

In 1971 I took my birthday money & money I saved and walked from Steelton (off Big Tree Rd at border of Blasdell and Hamburg) to stadium intending to buy a ticket to get in.  A neighbor saw me walking on South Park and offered me a ride as far as he was going into Lackawana and I continued walking.  It was a cold day and took me longer to get there than I hoped and got there after game had started.  I got directions to ticket window and was told that I did not have enough money for a ticket.   I had read that sometimes people sold extras so I went to closest gate which had a few people outside but most of them seemed to be working or scrounging for items left behind. 

I circled around to another gate and it seemed to be open went in but the guy working it was in area and he called out to me to stop.  When he asked for my ticket I said "My father has, he went in to meet friends and was supposed to come back with extras so we could sit together".  "You will need to wait" he said keeping me eye on me so I sat by gate trying to keep warm in my jacket sitting on some cardboard and newspaper discarded by gate.  Another guy came buy and they talked a bit and he tried to get some cigarettes from him but he had no money.  I paid for his cigarettes saying something like "He needs to have something to do while standing here".  The seller left shortly afterwards after bumming a cigarette from the ones he just sold.  Shortly after this there was a big cheer from inside and I said "Damn I missed a score!". He looked at me and looked around and he said "Kid go on in, your father is probably drunk with your friends. If any one asks do not say you got in this gate and if they ask for ticket tell him you lost it in bathroom." 

The game was only one the Bills won that year.  I got to see Hill's 2nd TD pass and OJ's TD run.  I was under dressed for that day; I was used to being out in this weather but not sitting or standing and after Bills FG I left.  I walked as far as South Buffalo where my aunt lived and asked if uncle could give me a ride home.  No in my immediate family knew I was gone and my mother did not find out until a comment at Christmas time at my aunt's.

• Like (+1) 1