Bye Week Throwback. Championship Road in the ‘60’s

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Great post, great time to a Bills fan and really lucky to have been one during the old AFL; here's to Ange Coniglio!!!!!

I agree! loved my time in the 60's as young kid going  to WMS.. awesome memories .. different era..   but a priceless one.. thanks for the great pics! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

I agree! loved my time in the 60's as young kid going  to WMS.. awesome memories .. different era..   but a priceless one.. thanks for the great pics! 

Me too! it was definitely a different era and it is hard to describe to people who weren't there what it was like going to WMS for a game. It was just a grittier place compared to Orchard Park. Attending the Saturday  night games was an "interesting" experience too (as was the scrum for the football from the extra points that  went into what was the baseball first base field box seats). 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Me too! it was definitely a different era and it is hard to describe to people who weren't there what it was like going to WMS for a game. It was just a grittier place compared to Orchard Park. Attending the Saturday  night games was an "interesting" experience too (as was the scrum for the football from the extra points that  went into what was the baseball first base field box seats). 

My friend John got an extra point ball in the late 60s.

We loved playing with it at Dingens St Park.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

yea.. the fights for the ball at the Best st end zone were legendary.. i could be way off .. but  as my memory serves me, the end zone screens to catch the extra point balls were adopted because of those "scuffles "

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

We were so lucky - why I get so frickin cranky on TBD - they just don't know!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vorpma said:

We were so lucky - why I get so frickin cranky on TBD - they just don't know!

Exactly! feel the same , not that we are "get off my lawn"  type guys.. but when one sees the vitriol , goofy stuff .. it does get to you."thread police" nonsensical BS..  its refreshing a bit to re- hash the old days.. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Exactly! feel the same , not that we are "get off my lawn"  type guys.. but when one sees the vitriol , goofy stuff .. it does get to you."thread police" nonsensical BS..  its refreshing a bit to re- hash the old days.. 

I know the Buffalo fans of the 1960's had a better understanding and appreciation of the game; the rebuilds of Knox and Polian were appreciated much more by fans and it wasn't this I want it and I want it now mentality!

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I know the Buffalo fans of the 1960's had a better understanding and appreciation of the game; the rebuilds of Knox and Polian were appreciated much more by fans and it wasn't this I want it and I want it now mentality!

Yes...just a more fun and simple time. Much more anticipation and the unknowing every Sunday. There was always the newscasts, the Buffalo News and Courier Express.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes...just a more fun and simple time. Much more anticipation and the unknowing every Sunday. There was always the newscasts, the Buffalo News and Courier Express.

Buffalo Bills Highlights with Rick Azar and Buffalo Bills Preview with the late Ernie Warlick! No ESPN or NFL network back then! And Honest Harry - Phil Ranallo!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, vorpma said:

Buffalo Bills Highlights with Rick Azar and Buffalo Bills Preview with the late Ernie Warlick! No ESPN or NFL network back then! And Honest Harry - Phil Ranallo!

Rick Azar was young and baby faced...I remember Sunday was special. Every Sunday had a holiday feel to it. Times were good and the players were larger than life.

• Like (+1) 3

Mike Stratton felt a wave of sadness wash over him when he got the news that Keith Lincoln died. They didn’t know each other all that well, really, but they shared the intimacy of a paired place in pro football history.

For Buffalo Bills fans of a certain age, the names Stratton and Lincoln go together like peanut butter and jelly or Rodgers and Hammerstein. (Well, if Rodgers had once hammered Hammerstein so hard that he busted his ribs.)

The turning point of 1964’s American Football League championship game in Buffalo between the Bills and San Diego Chargers is known as the Hit Heard ’Round the World.

Lincoln, the Chargers running back, is reaching to receive a pass in the flat when Stratton, the Bills linebacker, runs full speed into him on a tackle so perfectly timed that history remembers it nearly 55 years later. Stratton’s right shoulder strikes Lincoln in the midsection just as the ball arrives. 

okjqtuwec96lila5y6ut.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, vorpma said:

That's not fair to characterize the younger Bills fan base like that, for two reasons:

1. In the modern NFL, it's much easier to rebuild a team from scratch in a comparatively shorter amount of time. Three years is enough time to expect a competent GM and HC to take a cellar dweller to playoff contention.

2. Any Bills fan under 30 years old probably has no memory of a home playoff game or a playoff victory (January 1996). No professional sports fan should ever have to experience their favorite team missing the playoffs for 17 straight years. The young Bills fans who are still fans have more than earned their stripes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, KayAdams said:

That's not fair to characterize the younger Bills fan base like that, for two reasons:

1. In the modern NFL, it's much easier to rebuild a team from scratch in a comparatively shorter amount of time. Three years is enough time to expect a competent GM and HC to take a cellar dweller to playoff contention.

2. Any Bills fan under 30 years old probably has no memory of a home playoff game or a playoff victory (January 1996). No professional sports fan should ever have to experience their favorite team missing the playoffs for 17 straight years. The young Bills fans who are still fans have more than earned their stripes.

Chuck Knox took over a 3 - 11 team in 1978 and had the Bills in the playoffs by 1980. Marv Levy took over a 2 - 14 team in 1985 and made the playoffs by 1980; both efforts had great drafts and the Levy team stayed in the hunt for 12 years - to include Wade Phillips time. This team made horrible coaching, scouting, and drafting decisions throughout a 17 year period creating a culture of mediocrity - I remember posters on TBD thinking we were only a player away when in truth we were not even close. You don't fix 17 years of dysfunction in a "short amount of time" when you have to construct a new organization and culture. McBeane is in year three and has one playoff game under his belt and 2019 is shaping up pretty well, building an organization based on long term culture and character not fly by night divas!

5 hours ago, KayAdams said:

And yes, the young fan base has earned their stripes as you say, but so have those of us that lived through 1968, 1976, 1977, 1984, and 1985 - you can't even imagine the pain!

• Thank you (+1) 1