NFL in Nashville

vorpma

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/10/12/tennessee-titans-fans-nashville-nfl/3895236002/

Having lived in Tennessee, close to Nashville, for almost twenty years of my life, the state and city remain firmly entrenched in college sports. Growing up in Buffalo with family members holding season tickets since 1960, the excitement and love for the Bills is just not present for the Titans; in Nashville the night before the game most more interested in the outcome of the Vols starting a freshmen quarterback. Not sure how this going to turn out for the Titans and Nashville. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think living in the south is a VERY different experience from being in WNY. I didn’t realize UB even had a football program growing up in Buffalo (Ive been told they did). In the south, it’s all about college football, which stunned me when I first moved down here. I had a friend who would travel all over creation to see CFB games live. I thought of it as second rate because it wasn’t the NFL. Now I get it. The Falcons are an afterthought in Atlanta, it’s all about UGA and to a lesser degree Georgia Tech. 

There’s no right or wrong, it’s just....different. Whatever floats your boat, but I don’t think Nashville is unique in this respect. It may actually suffer a little extra because it’s a road game opposing fans will circle on the calendar for their road trip game, resulting in what we saw last weekend. Good luck, Raiders! 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, vorpma said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2019/10/12/tennessee-titans-fans-nashville-nfl/3895236002/

Having lived in Tennessee, close to Nashville, for almost twenty years of my life, the state and city remain firmly entrenched in college sports. Growing up in Buffalo with family members holding season tickets since 1960, the excitement and love for the Bills is just not present for the Titans; in Nashville the night before the game most more interested in the outcome of the Vols starting a freshmen quarterback. Not sure how this going to turn out for the Titans and Nashville. 

I find this to be an interesting subject.  Would you say Nashville had an affiliation with an NFL team prior to getting one of their own?

I live in Charlotte - which is also an entrenched city towards college sports.  However the NFL was poplular too with many Redskin fans and some Falcons fans, mostly, IMO.  So the transition to a home NFL team was easy for the natives.   Then they had some transplants change from their home/born team to the Panthers and a bit of casual fans that participated.  It took some time to get the numbers needed but I'd say at this point Charlotte, surrounding cities and even cities hours away have made it a decently strong following.

It won't work everywhere so I'm curious what you're seeing there?

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Some disrespect for the Bills fanbase in that article, even though they say no disrespect. I guess they missed what happened in Jacksonville 2 years ago. We usually travel pretty well.

When they say “no disrespect”, you know what’s coming next!   ?

I’ll chalk that up to ignorance, disrespect intended. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Some disrespect for the Bills fanbase in that article, even though they say no disrespect. I guess they missed what happened in Jacksonville 2 years ago. We usually travel pretty well.

Did they miss the fires and garbage in the parking lots?  Bills traveled well for that game, but they behaved like a bunch of prison inmates.

I don't think people realize that the Bills market is far larger than just Buffalo. Yes- Buffalo is a small market but if you bring in Rochester, there is another million people. That puts it on par population wise with Nashville and KC and Pittsburgh. If you factor in Canadian fans it is actually far larger. Then you are talking about a fan base of over three million. That's like Denver. When I travel and watch Bills games and meet fans, lots of them are from Rochester or Ontario south of Buffalo- and that's why they sell out in when there is a 6 win year or show up like in Tennessee. 

Other cities must be shocked when the fans show up like that. The tailgating antics are starting to get a little old and tiresome. Sooner or later someone is going to get paralyzed or hurt. I'm thinking that as the team gets better, the silliness tones down a bit. 

Edited by SF Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I didn’t see any disrespect toward the Bills fan base at all in the article. Complimentary , in fact. The writer is correct to point out that the Bills haven’t exactly been an iconic franchise that has ( bandwagon) fans all over the place after years of winning. While it’s true that the Cowboys, Steelers etc have those fans everywhere , the writer does seem a bit naive about just how many WNYers have fled south due to high taxes and brutal weather. Not all those Bills fans traveled to Nashville from Buffalo. The Bills have fans all over the southeastern US in particular, and their loyalty comes from their WNY roots. They’re not bandwagon fans following  a big winner rather than root for a team closer to their geographical location. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I didn’t see any disrespect toward the Bills fan base at all in the article. Complimentary , in fact. The writer is correct to point out that the Bills haven’t exactly been an iconic franchise that has ( bandwagon) fans all over the place after years of winning. While it’s true that the Cowboys, Steelers etc have those fans everywhere , the writer does seem a bit naive about just how many WNYers have fled south due to high taxes and brutal weather. Not all those Bills fans traveled to Nashville from Buffalo. The Bills have fans all over the southeastern US in particular, and their loyalty comes from their WNY roots. They’re not bandwagon fans following  a big winner rather than root for a team closer to their geographical location. 

Well put!! The research triangle - Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill has multiple Bills bars and a huge base from western New York! Still die hard Bills and Sabres fans!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Ironic since the Vols are rarely a factor in the SEC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think living in the south is a VERY different experience from being in WNY. I didn’t realize UB even had a football program growing up in Buffalo (Ive been told they did). In the south, it’s all about college football, which stunned me when I first moved down here. I had a friend who would travel all over creation to see CFB games live. I thought of it as second rate because it wasn’t the NFL. Now I get it. The Falcons are an afterthought in Atlanta, it’s all about UGA and to a lesser degree Georgia Tech. 

There’s no right or wrong, it’s just....different. Whatever floats your boat, but I don’t think Nashville is unique in this respect. It may actually suffer a little extra because it’s a road game opposing fans will circle on the calendar for their road trip game, resulting in what we saw last weekend. Good luck, Raiders! 

[I know you said UB... But Northern teams are different]

University of Chicago was a founding member of the Big Ten.  Left at the pinnacle of it's football dominance in 1939.

Did you know that the University of Chicago was like the Alabama today of it's day back in the 1930's and yanked it's sports program, football in 1939 to concentrate on academics?  How novel!

You'd think an Alabama would do that today.  Big southern school? Let's go a little north above the Mason Dixon line to PED, ooops, I mean PENN State... Think they'd even pull the $$$$$ plug with that ***** -ed you zombie sports culture after abusing kids?  Yeah, right...

Here's a good read about college football in the South:

https://theathletic.com/934984/2019/04/22/college-football-1930s-southeastern-conference-origins/

You may need the app...

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ironic since the Vols are rarely a factor in the SEC.

Not about being a factor... It about regional lines.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Some disrespect for the Bills fanbase in that article, even though they say no disrespect.

It's like when someone begins a statement with, "I'm not prejudiced but ..."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I don't think people realize that the Bills market is far larger than just Buffalo. Yes- Buffalo is a small market but if you bring in Rochester, there is another million people. That puts it on par population wise with Nashville and KC and Pittsburgh. If you factor in Canadian fans it is actually far larger. Then you are talking about a fan base of over three million. That's like Denver. When I travel and watch Bills games and meet fans, lots of them are from Rochester or Ontario south of Buffalo- and that's why they sell out in when there is a 6 win year or show up like in Tennessee. 

Other cities must be shocked when the fans show up like that. The tailgating antics are starting to get a little old and tiresome. Sooner or later someone is going to get paralyzed or hurt. I'm thinking that as the team gets better, the silliness tones down a bit. 

The Bills have many transplants elsewhere in the country.  Many were born and raised but in 20s moved elsewhere.

if you factor in the Canadian population buffalo is a top 10 media market after nyc, la, chicsgo and Houston.philadelphia, Bay Area, Boston, buffalo are all very close

buffals 75 mile radius population uts itequivalent yo most other metro areas in the country.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

UB was division 3 in sports— no scholarships- till late 80s when they started to invest and become division 1 over 10 years.

in the early 90s when I went there they were 1-AA in football and 1 in basketball.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

UB was division 3 in sports— no scholarships- till late 80s when they started to invest and become division 1 over 10 years.

in the early 90s when I went there they were 1-AA in football and 1 in basketball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

The Bills have many transplants elsewhere in the country.  Many were born and raised but in 20s moved elsewhere.

if you factor in the Canadian population buffalo is a top 10 media market after nyc, la, chicsgo and Houston.philadelphia, Bay Area, Boston, buffalo are all very close

buffals 75 mile radius population uts itequivalent yo most other metro areas in the country.

UB dropped football altogether in 1970, starting in 1977 The were division 3.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agreed.

In fact, not only did I not see any disrespect in that article, I felt a sense of pride while reading it.   All I saw was a writer giving props to the Bills fan base for supporting the team - asking how Nashville could get their fans to be more like we are.   I will take that as a strong compliment.

The Titan player said that the fans know the Titans will break their heart.   That is why they don't want to come to the games. 

Aside from Cleveland and the Bills, what modern era NFL fan base knows what it is like to endure so many losing seasons and heartbreaks.   Yet the Bills fans keep buying tickets and remain loyal.   That says a lot about how much WNY'ers and expats care about their football team.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1