The State of Pre Game and Post Game shows...

On 10/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, thronethinker said:

I decided to start a separate thread after commenting on Gronk being hired for analysis...

Does anyone even watch the Pre Game, Halftime, or Post Game analysts? I may have the TV on but its usually on mute. I cannot stand to watch that crap anymore as Its all just fluff and puff pieces that usually focus on a set few teams. I can get better stuff on youtube watching drunken fans making fools of themselves crying about their teams QB or coaches. 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:26 PM, KD in CA said:

Nope.   

Pre-game shows are all horrible.  Absolutely zero value.

Post-game highlight shows are terrible.  It's 70% yammering idiots, 30% highlights where they just cycle the same four games for hours on end.

One note on the fall of Post Game Highlight shows. The NFL actively killed them. Shows like ESPN's NFL Primtime, where Boomer and Jackson used to go through 3-5 minutes of highlights for EACH game! Dead. The NFL wanted all that viewership for itself.

Once the NFL launched its own network, they jacked up the cost of using/showing highlights. Made it so channels like ESPN can only afford to show a few clips, so they need to be extra judicious, and only choose a couple big market clips.

This was an active effort to lower the quality of other channels and push people to the NFL Network, which gets to use clips and highlights as much as it wants.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Don't watch the pre game shows, they've been bad for a while.  I do watch the NFLN during the week, that is where you can get some good info.

Exactly as the NFL planned it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with you watching it. Just showing that the planned I outlined above is working for them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I hate your gf!  Cuz she’s right..?

It was his hiring press conference that she commented on. I was off from work that day and she came home for lunch while I was watching it. She called him a stooge, not a clown! I don't know if that makes any difference! lol!

I listen to WGR on game days during the drive to the stadium (early AM) and usually the post game show.    I don't think either are particularly insightful, but it is Bills talk on game day so I am interested.

As far as the television shows go, people on this board should realize that those shows aren't directed towards you.   I am guessing most of the people on this board are above average in football knowledge and are more interested in the detailed X's and O's of what is likely to happen pre-game or what did happen post game.   Most people here want to know what nuances will make the difference in a game or what did make the difference in a game.

Those talk shows before, during and after the games on television are more fodder for showing commercials.   They are intended for a casual fan who doesn't know much about the game.   They are not intended for you (us).   There are way more casual fans to show ads to than there are people like us.   We are on the fringe of their target audience not the center.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The NFL wanted all that viewership for itself.

Once the NFL launched its own network, they jacked up the cost of using/showing highlights. Made it so channels like ESPN can only afford to show a few clips, so they need to be extra judicious, and only choose a couple big market clips.

This was an active effort to lower the quality of other channels and push people to the NFL Network, which gets to use clips and highlights as much as it wants.

Exactly as the NFL planned it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with you watching it. Just showing that the planned I outlined above is working for them.

Interesting take and could very well be true.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The worst is Rex Ryan and Randy Moss together, both screaming, laughing at inane jokes.  Then they go on this long winded "Mossed up".  They created the term "mossed up" and went on and on to talk about how Randy Moss 's name has turned into a word....it want a word until they tried to self promote and morph it into a word.

I can’t pretend I didn’t read about the existence of this....   :(