The State of Pre Game and Post Game shows...

3 hours ago, thronethinker said:

I decided to start a separate thread after commenting on Gronk being hired for analysis...

Does anyone even watch the Pre Game, Halftime, or Post Game analysts? I may have the TV on but its usually on mute. I cannot stand to watch that crap anymore as Its all just fluff and puff pieces that usually focus on a set few teams. I can get better stuff on youtube watching drunken fans making fools of themselves crying about their teams QB or coaches. 

I PVR most games and fast forward right to the kickoff and ty to cut out as much of the total crap as I can in order to get thru the honest action of a dozen football games each week, pros and NCAA

When I’m held against my will to listen to these panelists, I realize it’s all schmoozing and bull patter

3 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

The local pregame show before Murph and Wood come on WGR has become one of the worst things I've ever listened to. Not sure what they were thinking there. It used to be my refuge from the national junk, so now I got nothin.

The round table years ago in that 2 to 1 hour slot prior to kickoff was excellent and interesting.  In that era, I think Vic Carucci was a part of it.  Felser’s Monday evening appearance with Murphy on 930 AM was also excellent.

I DVR them and FF to find the 5 minutes of Bills info.  I always stop for the picks, so I can see Tedy (buy a D already) Bruschi never pick the Bills.  Heck, they didn't even bother having a stadium reporter for Bills Bengals, no updates from the Cap pregame.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The round table years ago in that 2 to 1 hour slot prior to kickoff was excellent and interesting.  In that era, I think Vic Carucci was a part of it.  Felser’s Monday evening appearance with Murphy on 930 AM was also excellent.

If they had kept Brownie, Sal, and Howard on the roundtable, it would be a good listen, but the roundtable is garbage now.

5 hours ago, thronethinker said:

I decided to start a separate thread after commenting on Gronk being hired for analysis...

Does anyone even watch the Pre Game, Halftime, or Post Game analysts? I may have the TV on but its usually on mute. I cannot stand to watch that crap anymore as Its all just fluff and puff pieces that usually focus on a set few teams. I can get better stuff on youtube watching drunken fans making fools of themselves crying about their teams QB or coaches. 

Nope, nope and nope!

Not just the NFL but all sports have been copying the WWE model for some time now. They just run 'entertaining' stories and interviews while making generic statements. No one dives into actual play and schemes anymore (Romo is the exception I think).

IMHO the sporting world is a dying industry. It's oversaturated and overstated. 

?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Not just the NFL but all sports have been copying the WWE model for some time now. They just run 'entertaining' stories and interviews while making generic statements. No one dives into actual play and schemes anymore (Romo is the exception I think).

IMHO the sporting world is a dying industry. It's oversaturated and overstated. 

?

Heard this every week since 1973 from the type of person who keeps sucking on the bitterest lemons and telling us how it is hell

not that we EVER asked their opinion, or they they have been dead wrong every week since 1973

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Heard this every week since 1973 from the type of person who keeps sucking on the bitterest lemons and telling us how it is hell

not that we EVER asked their opinion, or they they have been dead wrong every week since 1973

It's different today. People have access to a wide variety of sports. All sports seasons are extended. But overall I think the biggest factor is that now there are more sources of entertainment and not just sports.

?

Pre: I turn it on 2-3 minutes before kickoff.

Halftime show: I might watch just to see scores and highlights from other games, but I'm usually doing something else at the time. 

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I usually will watch the local pregame after listening to WGR before the game. I never watch the half time or post coverage, as I’m looking at other games, fantasy scores or highlights. 

if you’re looking for an alternative on Sundays, check out NFL’s mobile app. You can ever the highlights from each game complete with the broadcast crew’s original play call. There is no fluff, no comments from Pats guys or national media members relentlessly clinging to Brady’s sweaty jock.

No ads like on NFL site?  I used to watch highlights there but with latest redesign this year there appears to be ad before each video with ads often longer than video clip.

12 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

The local pregame show before Murph and Wood come on WGR has become one of the worst things I've ever listened to. Not sure what they were thinking there. It used to be my refuge from the national junk, so now I got nothin.

It's like another amateur hour weekend show. I caught it driving last week. GR is so bad now. If this is the future, I weep for all of us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Stopped watching when they decided they needed 5-6 guys to do a single show. It's a joke. I used to watch Inside the NFL with Nick Buonoconti and Len Dawson religiously. Then they hired Cris Collinsworth and the show went to *****. Now everything is complete garbage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

It's different today. People have access to a wide variety of sports. All sports seasons are extended. But overall I think the biggest factor is that now there are more sources of entertainment and not just sports.

?

And yet whether it is the NFL over there or the Premier League over here they remain, by far, the hottest ticket in town for TV schedules. 

As for the pre-game I usually watch most of the NFL Network show. I tend to have it on while I prep and make my roast dinner. It is good background noise and sometimes they will do a segment I am interested in. But I agree they talk about the same teams too much. The Patriots, the Steelers, the Cowboys and the Giants make up at least 75% of any show. 

I actually like Rich Eisen though. As someone who did a bit of radio anchoring of panel style show with former soccer players back in my journalism days I appreciate his skill as an anchor. He is one of the best sports anchors out there in any sport for me. 

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Unwatchable?

Worthless?

Mute?

Vapid?

Yea but you do have some good qualities too Chandler. 

Hang on I'm just trying to think of them...... 

• Haha (+1) 1