Was Josh Allen faster last season ?

bills11

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh horseradish.  If you look at Josh, he doesn't look like a guy who's been dining at Popeyes.

Agree 100%.

Mayfield on the other hand ... when I watched the 49ers pummel the Browns, I noticed Baker's got the old Dunlap belly.  It dun lapped over his belt.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

He is just running less. Which is good. Idc to see him running past linebackers if it results in a concussion.

...he needs to...he is a gamer who puts his heart before his head to do it ll for "HIS team(sure as hell is not ME)"....he has to learn to trust his other ten teammates......needs to be our long term answer as the franchise QB versus a short term exit on a gurney...smart football lad....they "have you back".....

5 hours ago, bills11 said:

Was watching clips from last season to this to see his progression and he seemed to have faster acceleration and top end speed last season he was just leaving linebackers in pure foot speed. Whereas this year when he takes off he seems a bit slower.

last year he was running to make yds , this year hes trying to look down field for throws so he isnt taking off as fast. Eventually he will be quicker with both aspects.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or another way to look at it, he is staying in the pocket on plays where he would have taken off last year and when he does run, it's a delayed decision because he's looking for a pass first.  So even if he's running the same amount (which per stats, he is), they're different runs.

Asking for a source is not wrong.  But being unable to tell the truth here is a problem.

For the record JA only had 85 runs in 11 starts for 7.7 runs per game in 2018. 4 of his runs came in a game he didn't start at Balt. 89 divided by 12 would be 7.4 attempts per game. 

In 2019 he's averaging 8.2 attempts per start so he is actually running more based on his stats. 

So was he right? Did you ban him because you were wrong? 

8 minutes ago, Justdafacts said:

For the record JA only had 85 runs in 11 starts for 7.7 runs per game in 2018. 4 of his runs came in a game he didn't start at Balt. 89 divided by 12 would be 7.4 attempts per game. 

In 2019 he's averaging 8.2 attempts per start so he is actually running more based on his stats. 

I called 9 runs per game after injury in 2018 "running about the same amount" as running 8 times per game in 2019.
No one makes a fraction of a play.  You need to round - up or down.   7.7 attempts per game rounds to 8.

I would say the same about running 7 times per game - it's not a statistically significant difference from 8.

8 minutes ago, Justdafacts said:

So was he right? Did you ban him because you were wrong? 

Nope, banned him for being a jerk to me and unable to tell the truth (abusive behavior).  Guess what.

4 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I noticed the same. Last year he had 3 consecutive games with 100 yards runnung. He looked faster than defencemen. This year he hasn't big impressive runs. I think he'll be heavier and slower with age and turn into Big Ben. )) Big fat tough QB which is hard to tackle but he doesn't run much.

Allen may become heavier and slower with age, but that's not happened yet.  

Not so sure it will, either - I think Allen's role models as pro QBs are harder working all-in type guys like Wilson or Brady*** vs Roethlisburger.  Big Ben did build himself quite a "dad bod" for a while there.  OTOH, Allen has said he gains weight whenever he goes home to Northern California because people want to take him out to dinner all the time - so I guess he does have that tendency in his genetics.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you say more about this?  I haven't spent as much time this year as I did last, trying to figure out the blocking

Essentially the new blocking scheme focuses on letting the DEs go upfield and creating more of a traditional pocket.  Last year the tackles tried to hit the ends...not run them out of play.  By doing this josh has less direct holes to hit when things break down.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

The receiver patterns may be different this year than last year. Last year, after his injury, they pushed the receiver patterns to the sides of the field to open up the center. This enabled Josh to have big runs, but expose him to the risk of injury. This year they may be running a more conventional set of receiver patterns to promote his development as a passer and the development of other receivers and tight ends. 

• Thank you (+1) 1