Was Josh Allen faster last season ?

bills11

Was watching clips from last season to this to see his progression and he seemed to have faster acceleration and top end speed last season he was just leaving linebackers in pure foot speed. Whereas this year when he takes off he seems a bit slower.

• Like (+1) 1

No. They're spying him like they did Tyrod last couple season with the Bills. Mush rush. Also they've said JA likes to run right so if you watch the pats game they put Collins on the right side of the offense in front of the RT and kept him there the entire game. If JA wanted to run right he'd run into Collins.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t think so. Allen is now trying to read defenses which has caused him to pause. Josh is also running behind his linemen on designed draws better. Last year he was reading 1 maybe 2 options then it was head down and all out run. He has done a better  job of side stepping defenders in the pocket, reestablishing himself and making throws. He has also pump fakes linebackers to jump up and then deliver a throw.

I bet Josh could still out run the majority of linebackers in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

I personally think it’s because he’s much less decisive when he actually decides to take off. 

That hesitation is enough for people to get up to more speed to close in. I’m fine with it. But it’s gonna be a difference in a 10 yd scramble or getting snagged my a lineman or backer while

barely crossing LOS. 

• Like (+1) 3

its fine. I think they are coaching it out of him, which is good considering if they don't it will become ingrained in his mind that he has to take off at any sight of pressure. That is why we are witnessing bad interceptions. its going to be a bumpy ride to make Allen into a pocket passer. He didn't have the coaching some of these other guys did in school. 

he also needs to learn how to protect himself when running, which is part of the reason why coaches don't let him do it often anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't understand why it's so hard to understand teams are playing him as a running QB. He's still running. He's actually running more than last year. He's not getting the big run because teams are spying him and trying to stop him from having big runs. They aren't turning their backs to him as much. They're mush rushing him and keeping him in front of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

He's actually running more.

He's getting more called runs, but less scrambling for sure. I also dont think people realize that his rushing stats would be better if he wasnt taking 3 knees per game to close it out

48 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

No. They're spying him like they did Tyrod last couple season with the Bills. Mush rush. Also they've said JA likes to run right so if you watch the pats game they put Collins on the right side of the offense in front of the RT and kept him there the entire game. If JA wanted to run right he'd run into Collins.

Definitely but I was more just talking about his initial acceleration..it seemed like he had more explosive first step last year but I digress I could be wrong hard to say without numbers