First impression: Rosen for the Phins

Just for the record, bottom line up front: Allen is Right Josh for B'lo, but Rosen is showing some decent play.

Taking impression from this capture of every Rosen throw vs. Cowboys

Rosen's stat line for the game: 20-41 for 229 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 3 sacks for 18 yds. 

TOP was pretty equal - Phins 29:04 to Boys 30:56.  The Phins moved the ball, but struggled to convert 3rd downs (3 of 15).

Phins seemed to be playing a fairly disciplined game (not many penalties). 

The big difference in the game was Dallas run game, and not just Zeke but Tony Pollard

OK, my impressions:

1) Rosen is suffering what Allen suffered last year: Lots of WR drops of potentially catchable balls.  His completion % really should have been higher.

2) When given time, Rosen was doing a decent job of standing in, making the right read, and distributing the ball.  He has learned to sling it out fast to the hot read.  Bills need to be prepared to limit what Phins gain from it. 

3) Rosen is far less immobile than he was last year.  Survival skill I guess.  I'm not seeing good movement in the pocket, but to be fair I'm not seeing a lot of pocket to move in much of the time.

4) When he's flushed out of the pocket, Rosen makes dangerous throws into heavy coverage as we've seen from Josh Allen at times.  But this isn't just to a WR who looks open and missing that there's a safety positioned to jump the route - Rosen was slinging it out to double covered WRs, trying to make something happen.  Dumb throws.  Cowboys should have picked him 3-4 times.  Bills DBs should hit the jugs.
5) Anyone who thinks you can't ruin a QB or at least stunt his development as a pro by putting him in a bad situation behind a bad OL and with poor WR, isn't paying attention.

6) Plays I saw, it appeared that the Phins players were trying.  No one seemed to be phoning it in.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

As long as the Bills treat the Dolphins like a professional football team, they shouldn't have any problem.  Just don't take them lightly, like it is a scrimmage; I don't see McD or the rest of the team falling into that trap.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

5) Anyone who thinks you can't ruin a QB or at least stunt his development as a pro by putting him in a bad situation behind a bad OL and with poor WR, isn't paying attention.

I hope he keeps going out there trying to win even if it does mean he's making a lot of stupid plays, which yes is good for us but speaking from an angle of rooting for this kid to make it I still hope the same thing. I mean I there's really two ways I see things going for him right now fighting trying to find a way to win or giving up and mailing it in because you know you're not. Playing hero ball making dumb mistakes can teach some bad habits but I think getting broken in a way that you're not trying anymore would be far worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

As long as the Bills treat the Dolphins like a professional football team, they shouldn't have any problem.  Just don't take them lightly, like it is a scrimmage; I don't see McD or the rest of the team falling into that trap.

Me neither. There have been zero signs of that. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah I don't see this team and coaching staff looking past anyone. At the same time even if Miami does do the whole trap thing and punch them in the mouth I just don't see the Bills not being able to adjust and take the game back anyway.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

That hit on Hurns was Brutal.

Rosen was laying Dimes with crazy drops as OP pointed out.  

If the Game slows down for Rosen by like 300-500ms look out, he actually looked good in this game.

Give him a line and some better WR's and look out. I think the Dolphins should trade him. I don't want to see him if the FO goes Buffalo and gets the right people finally.

It looks very similar to Allen his rookie year in many aspects with Allen with the Wr drops and crap Oline. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

Considering how bad the dolphins have been, he will probably get a shot at another team next year (at least as a backup). He's played as well as Fitzpatrick with the dolphins, which is a good sign.

Personally I don't think he's a starter in the league, but I think he's done as well as a second choice could given his poor teams.

51 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

If the Game slows down for Rosen by like 300-500ms look out, he actually looked good in this game.

Give him a line and some better WR's and look out. I think the Dolphins should trade him. I don't want to see him if the FO goes Buffalo and gets the right people finally.

It looks very similar to Allen his rookie year in many aspects with Allen with the Wr drops and crap Oline. 

I think it would be fun if the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins all found their QB from the same draft and had good teams. Obviously I want the Bills to be the best of the bunch, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I just hope that Buffalo doesn’t try to sit on a 7-0 lead if they get out to an early start, in order to show good “sportsmanship” ?‍♂️☠️?

That's so Kirk Ferentz in Iowa.  If there is any college so "Billsy" it's the Hawkeyes.  Snake biten is an understatement!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I just hope that Buffalo doesn’t try to sit on a 7-0 lead if they get out to an early start, in order to show good “sportsmanship” ?‍♂️☠️?

I hope to see a lot of Matt Barkley playing, because they are so far ahead that they want to rest Josh and get Matt some reps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

It doesn't matter. No QB really looks good against the Bills D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rosen the last two weeks has played really solid football despite being on a total ***** show of a football team. 

He isn't playing to be the starter for the 2020 Dolphins here, he is playing for his NFL career, and if he can continue to put on tape some of what he has put out there the last two weeks he will get another shot somewhere - maybe not as a starter in 2020 - but somewhere down the road. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rosen the last two weeks has played really solid football despite being on a total ***** show of a football team. 

He isn't playing to be the starter for the 2020 Dolphins here, he is playing for his NFL career, and if he can continue to put on tape some of what he has put out there the last two weeks he will get another shot somewhere - maybe not as a starter in 2020 - but somewhere down the road. 

I am not a fan of Rosen for reasons other than his football skills; however, I am not a hater either. From purely a talent perspective, I always thought Rosen could be successful in this league. He has had the misfortune of landing on, perhaps, the worst team in football in each of his first two years in the league. It would be hard to accurately judge any QB in those situations.

I think he has played well, considering the circumstances and, if things do not improve for him over the remainder of this season, I wonder how much damage these first two years will have caused - both to his psyche and to the perception of his abilities on the part of GMs and coaches around the league?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am not a fan of Rosen for reasons other than his football skills; however, I am not a hater either. From purely a talent perspective, I always thought Rosen could be successful in this league. He has had the misfortune of landing on, perhaps, the worst team in football in each of his first two years in the league. It would be hard to accurately judge any QB in those situations.

I think he has played well, considering the circumstances and, if things do not improve for him over the remainder of this season, I wonder how much damage these first two years will have caused - both to his psyche and to the perception of his abilities on the part of GMs and coaches around the league?

If he plays as he has the last two weeks from here on out he will have a backup job next year and at some point in the next 2 or 3 years will get another shot at starting. He has to keep up the consistent level of improvement from the past two weeks. His career depends on it. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he plays as he has the last two weeks from here on out he will have a backup job next year and at some point in the next 2 or 3 years will get another shot at starting. He has to keep up the consistent level of improvement from the past two weeks. His career depends on it. 

Agree, although, a tough road the remainder of the year: 8 of 12 games against teams in the top 12 in pass defense (DVOA) and 7 of them top 10 overall defenses (DVOA).

Poor bastard...

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Patriots? 

asking for a friend...

• Haha (+1) 2