Buffalo RB Situation

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree with whoever posted that the same would be true for any team if they lost both starting running backs. But....we haven’t! So I’m not sure what this discussion is all about. I’ll chalk it up to bye week.

OP simply just doesn't like Gore or Singletary, and apparently thinks a scrub Dolphins castoff will come in and instantly be our starting "stud".  Drake with his 3.6 ypc or Ballage with his 1.5 ypc are automatically better than what we have because they are All Pros in hiding just waiting for a better O-line.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Is that because of play calling or a lack of an RB who can handle 20 carries a game?

Gore can not handle 20 carries a game at 36. He is a great situational asset, so is Motor. Who is the stud in the RB room?

It is empty. Get Ballage/ Drake/ Lindsay etc......

Maybe Josh Allen would look better with more balance from the run game.

That’s ridiculous. Gore can handle any number of snaps necessary until he proves otherwise. You don’t become a past heavy offense because you don’t want to work your running backs. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Don't get me wrong. Gore has been solid to the break. But he was averaging 2.5 before a few 4th qtr carries.

Expecting a 36 yr old to be a bell cow for 16 games to spell a 2nd yr QB is dumb.

Singletary is nothing more than a change of pace back. A good one, but not a guy that can carry the ball 15-20 a game.

To be fair Yeldon has made some plays in spot duty, do you want him as RB1 if Gore goes down?

Brown/Beasly/Foster(I)/McKenzie/Williams/Roberts

Gore/Yeldon/Singletary(I)

What position is deeper f you want to make a run this year?

You have taken a lot of heat for this thread. But I think unfairly. The description above is exactly how I see it. 

Gore is 36 and he has done brilliantly to this stage but you can't really expect to lean on him all the way into January (because this team should be playing more than 16 games this season). 

Singletary to me was always (especially early in his career) a change of pace back. He was used effectively as such before the injury but we have yet to see how effective he would be asked to shoulder the load. I think the plan is to get there gradually so by the end of the season he and Gore are somewhere close to 50/50 but for now that is not the case.

Yeldon is a good receiving back and a poor runner. Yes he had a nice play at the end last week but he is what he is at this point in his career. 

The sky is not falling and I am not advocating a massive trade for a Melvin Gordon type but I think the Bills could still stand to improve the running back room with a lower end trade somewhere along the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So while the trade deadline looms overhead we at TBD have been focusing on WR.

Rumors of AJ Green, Stephon Diggs etc swirl about.

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Cut Shady, and injury to Singletary and its been only Gore and Yeldon.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

of his competition coming in.

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

RB is a much higher need right now than WR.

my two cents

Jones was traded not cut.

The real issue at RB is that in all reality,  there is no “good” RB available, except in fantasy land... who is going to trade to the Bills a RB that is good? Answer = nobody. 

That said, I completely agree we are thin at that position, and are relying on good fortune at present, but the bye week has worked out perfectly for the Bills this season imo, I suspect we will be fine come game day, jmo. Fingers crossed Bills nation.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You have taken a lot of heat for this thread. But I think unfairly. The description above is exactly how I see it. 

Gore is 36 and he has done brilliantly to this stage but you can't really expect to lean on him all the way into January (because this team should be playing more than 16 games this season). 

Singletary to me was always (especially early in his career) a change of pace back. He was used effectively as such before the injury but we have yet to see how effective he would be asked to shoulder the load. I think the plan is to get there gradually so by the end of the season he and Gore are somewhere close to 50/50 but for now that is not the case.

Yeldon is a good receiving back and a poor runner. Yes he had a nice play at the end last week but he is what he is at this point in his career. 

The sky is not falling and I am not advocating a massive trade for a Melvin Gordon type but I think the Bills could still stand to improve the running back room with a lower end trade somewhere along the line. 

I'm not sure we even need to trade for anyone, there are a number of RBs on the open market.

Atm, we are doing okay, assuming Singletary returns after the bye.

My concern, is that we don't have a ready replacement for Gore, should he get injured. While I take the point that he's proven incredibly durable through his career, after there being plenty of concerns about him when he entered the draft due to knee operations, a simple reality is that at his age, if he does get injured, it's going to take longer for him to heal.

Without knowing if Singletary can carry the load on his own - and we don't know that for certain as yet, I would rather have someone who you would consider a power back, already in the room, to take over from Gore if need be. The RB room currently, has a really nice blend, of complimentary talents, but the only guy who you wouldn't necessarily be bothered by being out, is Yeldon.

Generally, with his FO, you would like to think there's a plan in place to cover for eventualities, but for all the good work they have done, they aren't perfect - as shown by the QB fiasco early last season.

As a generalization, I'd say you can pick up a change of pace type of guy, at a moments notice, but someone who is a bruising runner, is somewhat harder to come by, which is why I would be advocating looking hard to find a backup for Gore

Edited by Buddo
Typo

I think the Bills are OK with their RB situation this year.  While Perry is primarily a special teamer, he does know the offense and can be used as a RB if necessary.  The Bills offensive line is worlds better than last season, so I think they can get some production from just about any running back.  I do expect the running back room will look different next year.  Gore is probably a one year rent-a-player for Buffalo because of his age, so I expect the Bills to add a similar, though much younger running back in the next off season, a one cut guy with some power.  They might also look for a youngster with home run speed.  Singletary is elusive and has nice acceleration, but no top end speed.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

This has gotten me thinking. If you look across the roster, we have way too many positions where losing both our first and second stringers would leave us starting a less than ideal player. 

No offense intended but isn’t that case on every team at every position? Answer: Yes it is!

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

my two cents

They signed Senorise Perry giving them 4 active RB and i'm sure they have Marcus Murphy on speed dial should they need him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

my two cents

McCaffrey, whatever it takes...

10 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No it’s not 

I personally thought it was a mistake to cut McCoy and I was disappointed when the choice to fill the open roster spot from Jones was Senorise Perry.

But I can't deny that ST has also been an issue for the team. 

That's why the HC and GM get the Big Bucks, they have to cope with the fact that 53 guys isn't quite enough to keep everyone you'd like, and you gotta make hard choices.

9 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Such a ridiculous topic.. Same is said about every position.  If you lose starters and back ups there’s nothing you can do about it.  Can’t have 5 starting caliber players at every position.  

Really?  Do tell, what would be reasonable football topics to discuss in your view?  Please feel free to start some.

The fact is, the Bills chose to go into the season rather thin at RB between an unproven rookie, Methuselah, and a guy who is really more of a pass-catching threat than a legit RB in Yeldon.  They got thinner when Singletary went down.

It's been said that a strong  run game is a young QB's best friend in the NFL, and there's some truth to that.  I'd put a stout OL right up there, but it's still a point.

• Like (+1) 2

With very few exceptions, the NFL has become a running back by committee league. Unless it’s a Barkley or similar type of player that can lend himself to all roles in this age of sub packages and situational football, the days of the “workhouse”, “bell cow” running back are over. 

And Gore is the last guy I’m worrying about. He’s a pro’s pro and that 4 minute offense to end the game vs. the Titans certainly showed that once again. If injuries suddenly should make us thin at RB, it’s the easiest position to fill off the street. Marcus Murphy is only a phone call away.