Buffalo RB Situation

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

The Bills sit 7th rushing with basically 140 rushing yards a game but this thread comes in?

I'll tell you a little secret that most teams with similar or better record than ours rush the ball more avg per game wise. Yeah were not trying to be KC who has no D either. 

Gore doesn't have a injury history by any means and has done nothing but bounced McCoy and produced. I'm not even going to question this guy, your straight watching a legend of the game at this point. Enjoy it!

I just want to see Daboll get Devin more involved overall once back. Gore and Devin should both see at least 15 touches a game to actually help Allen develop. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

If you take away Allen’s rushing yards they are closer to the middle of the road. I would prefer Allen to run only when necessary, they are going to get him killed with those designed running plays. 

24 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I know.

Has anybody talked about maybe trading for Melvin Gordon?

Why go for an end of contract Melvin Gordon that will cost a 1-3rd rounder, who has what, 1 1k season and wants 10-12 million a year?

Get a Ballage or Drake or Lindsay who can shoulder 10-20 carries a game and be on a rookie deal for a year or two for a 4-6th rounder?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

The Bills sit 7th rushing with basically 140 rushing yards a game but this thread comes in?

I'll tell you a little secret that most teams with similar or better record than ours rush the ball more avg per game wise. Yeah were not trying to be KC who has no D either. 

Gore doesn't have a injury history by any means and has done nothing but bounced McCoy and produced. I'm not even going to question this guy, your straight watching a legend of the game at this point. Enjoy it!

I just want to see Daboll get Devin more involved overall once back. Gore and Devin should both see at least 15 touches a game to actually help Allen develop. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

Interesting points.  Bills are 12th in yard per carry, too.  Nice.  

But I think the concern  of the op is durability.  Those are tough yards Gore is getting, and it is not reasonable to expect it for a full season.  Yes, he may do it, but it's not reasonable to assume he will.  Unless Singletary gets back, it's a worry.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

But I think the concern  of the op is durability.  Those are tough yards Gore is getting, and it is not reasonable to expect it for a full season.  Yes, he may do it, but it's not reasonable to assume he will.  Unless Singletary gets back, it's a worry.

You could say the same about injuries at several positions though..

As has been mentioned, Gore hasn’t been seriously injured in several years...

I was also under the  impression that Singletary is back the next game... is that still in question?

Just now, whatdrought said:

I don’t mind the trade suggestions, but a lot of this thread is wrong.

Gore can and is carrying the load. He played in 14 games last year, and before that you have to go back to 2010 to find him missing games. While he is older, he doesn’t show signs of wearing down. 

Saying Singletary can’t carry the load is a bad take. He’s been dynamite when he’s been given the ball. 

Saying he got hurt because of his small stature is also a bad take as hamstrings have nothing to do with size. 

Lastly, while I don’t disagree that our RB could be polished and I wouldn’t hate an addition for the right circumstances, we just aren’t a run first team anymore. We’re passing way more and that means less emphasis on running and thus RB.

If we just need some depth- what about Jay Ajayi? He’s still sitting on the market last I checked... if healthy he’d be a good ground and pound player ala Gore.

Your premise seems to be wrong, Gore split time with Ballage and Drake. We are one injury to a 36 yr old RB from toting Yeldon out for 20 carries a game.

Singletary has proven nothing in this league for longevity. 3 games in, 3 games out.

And I'd be fine for trying Ajayi out, except for his knees. Sony Michel and Todd Gurley are also prime examples. With Michel, his 2-4 yrs pair with Brady. The Rams already spent draft capital to improve RB.

If team like the Bills sees it is in a win-win situation, go get help now and make a run.

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We’re passing way more and that means less emphasis on running and thus RB.

I don't know.  The run pass ratio is tilted to passing, but the B I ll are 7th in the league in rushing attempt. 

11 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Why go for an end of contract Melvin Gordon that will cost a 1-3rd rounder, who has what, 1 1k season and wants 10-12 million a year?

Get a Ballage or Drake or Lindsay who can shoulder 10-20 carries a game and be on a rookie deal for a year or two for a 4-6th rounder?

I knew I should've inserted (sarcasm). 

But hey, your ideas not bad.

Don't get me wrong. Gore has been solid to the break. But he was averaging 2.5 before a few 4th qtr carries.

Expecting a 36 yr old to be a bell cow for 16 games to spell a 2nd yr QB is dumb.

Singletary is nothing more than a change of pace back. A good one, but not a guy that can carry the ball 15-20 a game.

To be fair Yeldon has made some plays in spot duty, do you want him as RB1 if Gore goes down?

Brown/Beasly/Foster(I)/McKenzie/Williams/Roberts

Gore/Yeldon/Singletary(I)

What position is deeper f you want to make a run this year?

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Your premise seems to be wrong, Gore split time with Ballage and Drake. We are one injury to a 36 yr old RB from toting Yeldon out for 20 carries a game.

Singletary has proven nothing in this league for longevity. 3 games in, 3 games out.

And I'd be fine for trying Ajayi out, except for his knees. Sony Michel and Todd Gurley are also prime examples. With Michel, his 2-4 yrs pair with Brady. The Rams already spent draft capital to improve RB.

If team like the Bills sees it is in a win-win situation, go get help now and make a run.

My premise isn’t wrong, he avegaged about 12 carries a game last year, 15-16 the years before that. This year he’s averaging 15. 

Every team is one injury away from their backup playing more than they’d like. Besides, Singletary will be back next week.

Injuries happen. You can’t argue we need a new running back because Gore is old and Singletary is injury prone. Gore’s age doesn’t necessitate injury, and his career demonstrates that injury is actually probably less likely than it it for other players. And Singletary isn’t injury prone on the basis of one injury. 

Again, I don’t mind addressing depth, but trading for a starter/borderline starter doesn’t make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I would agree with you if anything about frank gore seemed reasonable. But nothing is with him... at this point I wouldn’t put much of anything passed him. 

He’s on pace for just under 1,100 yds and while I don’t think he gets the necessary usage to get there by the end of the season, if he ended up doing it, would it really surprise anyone? I think i’ve decided I’m done being surprised by this guy. He’s a freak. He doesn’t make sense.....

.... just keep going forward, frank. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean sure I get the feeling the RB is still a work in progress Gore is at best a year by year coin flip and Yeldon hasn't been great. I definitely think it's something they'll keep working on but barring something convenient rolling into their lap I'd bet it's more likely something after this season.

Buffalo will need a RB 2-4 next year. A bruiser/ bell cow. With Singletary as a chancg of pace, it will be nice.

But why wait until next year?

The AFC is weak this year, go get it.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's all Gore has done going on 15 years in the league. I'm not not sure anyone here can even question that? The dude is a straight beast. I'd like to clarify one thing, McCoy was released due to Gore not Devin (most likely the combo). Mcd and Beane had to see DS as a possible McCoy long term fill in. I'm very confident if Gore was never signed McCoy woulds still be here and we be saying we need to trade for a bruiser young gore in next years draft.

Trust me, I had my doubts when we signed him at his age and just let it go after watching a few games. I'm really not worried about Gores short yardage play, durability or rushing through a middle hole on any D.. I'm more worried about DS and his hammy even when he does come back.  Devin has proven nothing at this point in the NFL. We so need him to be our Kamara to really excel or take or team to the next level.

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know.  The run pass ratio is tilted to passing, but the B I ll are 7th in the league in rushing attempt. 

We have the fourth lowest first half run percentage in the league behind the chiefs, rams, saints. Our offensive identity is one of pass and then run to ice the game. 

24 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

If you take away Allen’s rushing yards they are closer to the middle of the road. I would prefer Allen to run only when necessary, they are going to get him killed with those designed running plays. 

You know what our pass to run ratio is? That is the downfall IMO to our O right now.

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We have the fourth lowest first half run percentage in the league behind the chiefs, rams, saints. Our offensive identity is one of pass and then run to ice the game. 

Is that because of play calling or a lack of an RB who can handle 20 carries a game?

Gore can not handle 20 carries a game at 36. He is a great situational asset, so is Motor. Who is the stud in the RB room?

It is empty. Get Ballage/ Drake/ Lindsay etc......

Maybe Josh Allen would look better with more balance from the run game.

Edited by RocCityRoller

51 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Don't get me wrong. Gore has been solid to the break. But he was averaging 2.5 before a few 4th qtr carries.

Expecting a 36 yr old to be a bell cow for 16 games to spell a 2nd yr QB is dumb.

Singletary is nothing more than a change of pace back. A good one, but not a guy that can carry the ball 15-20 a game.

To be fair Yeldon has made some plays in spot duty, do you want him as RB1 if Gore goes down?

Brown/Beasly/Foster(I)/McKenzie/Williams/Roberts

Gore/Yeldon/Singletary(I)

What position is deeper f you want to make a run this year?

This is exactly the way I feel. It never hurts to have insurance. Yes we could use a true #1 wr but we are fine at wr. Gore has been great but you can't ignore his age. We don't know "yet" what we have in Singletary or how durable he may or may not be? Yeldon is a receiving rb and nothing more. Hey maybe Dimarco can go 15/97....probably not?  In other words we should've found a roster spot for Murphy. Insurance........

Edited by LABILLBACKER

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

You know who is available on a rookie contract for MORE than a year or two, without having to give ANYTHING up to get?

Singletary. He'll be back next game.  22 touches per game and 55 TDs in last 2 years of college, I think he can shoulder a load with Gore backing him up.  Hamstring injury was a fluke.

Also a lot of people seem to have a problem with Gore only getting 4.4 yards per carry, and speculating he's going to fall apart at any moment despite no injury history or any signs of slowing down.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Is that because of play calling or a lack of an RB who can handle 20 carries a game?

Gore can not handle 20 carries a game at 36. He is a great situational asset, so is Motor. Who is the stud in the RB room?

It is empty. Get Ballage/ Drake/ Lindsay etc......

Maybe Josh Allen would look better with more balance from the run game.

Gore has been handling 18 touches per game just fine these last 4 weeks averaging something like 4.6 yards per rush.  Singletary averaged 22 touches per game the last 2 years with 55 touchdowns.

Why are you obsessed with giving away a pick to take some other random scrub who has proven nothing and give HIM 20 touches a game because HE will suddenly become our "stud" somehow?  Like it or not, our stud is going to be the guy we just spent a 3rd round pick on.  We have a competent O-line and play caller now, and can play to his strengths.

There is literally no logical reason to sign a new guy and give him #1 starter carries just because your pessimistic ass doesn't like what we have.  If BOTH Gore and Singletary go down, sure pick someone up because duh (although I never understand why people freak out over our 3rd RB not being an All Pro talent).  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1