Buffalo RB Situation

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

That’s ridiculous. Gore can handle any number of snaps necessary until he proves otherwise. You don’t become a past heavy offense because you don’t want to work your running backs. 

Yeah I don't get this worry about "but these are HARD yards Gore is getting!"  Uh ya, have you guys met Frank "The Tank" Gore?  That's kind of his thing.  Very much an until proven otherwise thing.

11 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So while the trade deadline looms overhead we at TBD have been focusing on WR.

Rumors of AJ Green, Stephon Diggs etc swirl about.

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Cut Shady, and injury to Singletary and its been only Gore and Yeldon.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

of his competition coming in.

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

RB is a much higher need right now than WR.

my two cents

I appreciate you’re point of view, but my opinion is we will be fine as Singletary will probably be back next week, and Foster soon enough.

I actually wonder (based on the video evidence) if Yeldons days are not numbered because of his stopping on his route and the interception in the last game. Coach insists on ball security. Im of the opinion that the 3 int's in front of Zay sealed his fate in the Pats game. Perhaps that is the issue with Yeldon and Perry is here to push him? 

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I think the Bills are OK with their RB situation this year.  While Perry is primarily a special teamer, he does know the offense and can be used as a RB if necessary.  The Bills offensive line is worlds better than last season, so I think they can get some production from just about any running back.  I do expect the running back room will look different next year.  Gore is probably a one year rent-a-player for Buffalo because of his age, so I expect the Bills to add a similar, though much younger running back in the next off season, a one cut guy with some power.  They might also look for a youngster with home run speed.  Singletary is elusive and has nice acceleration, but no top end speed.

McCoy didn't have top end speed either - but did alright, huh?

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they will be ok at RB  this season with Motor back..

Gore has been fine and has been pretty injury free the past 7-8 years.. he is proving age is just a number..

Id probably look to draft another RB on Day 3 at the next draft..

....agree......and if something happened injury wise to any of them, I'd bet "McBeane & Company" already have a few on speed dial.....these guys shop 24/7/365 IMO.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

This has gotten me thinking. If you look across the roster, we have way too many positions where losing both our first and second stringers would leave us starting a less than ideal player. 

Clearly Beane has failed to address depth.

I too am worried about RB.   Not sure what's out there in the trade market.  I think if Gore gets injured you'll see us scrambling like the Giants to fill the position.  

Also, it would be a great time for our top goaline RB, Kyle Williams, to return! 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I too am worried about RB.   Not sure what's out there in the trade market.  I think if Gore gets injured you'll see us scrambling like the Giants to fill the position.  

Also, it would be a great time for our top goaline RB, Kyle Williams, to return! 

We.

Have.

Singletary. 

This is starting to remind me of that ridiculous "What if Barkley gets injured, we're screwed if Allen also gets injured" thread.  Yes, they'll have someone fill the hole if Gore goes down long term, but it won't be a rush to find a new starter BECAUSE WE HAVE SINGLETARY JEEZE PEOPLE.  31 other teams in the league have the same problem if the starter and backup both get injured.  But how many other teams have a second RB like Gore or Singletary?

5 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

We.

Have.

Singletary. 

This is starting to remind me of that ridiculous "What if Barkley gets injured, we're screwed if Allen also gets injured" thread.  Yes, they'll have someone fill the hole if Gore goes down long term, but it won't be a rush to find a new starter BECAUSE WE HAVE SINGLETARY JEEZE PEOPLE.  31 other teams in the league have the same problem if the starter and backup both get injured.  But how many other teams have a second RB like Gore or Singletary?

Singletary has a hamstring issue.  PEOPLE.  He also is not a proven RB1 in this league.  He is tiny.   Need I go on.  We need a backup IF GORE GETS INJURED.   I never said get one now.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So while the trade deadline looms overhead we at TBD have been focusing on WR.

Rumors of AJ Green, Stephon Diggs etc swirl about.

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Cut Shady, and injury to Singletary and its been only Gore and Yeldon.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

of his competition coming in.

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

RB is a much higher need right now than WR.

my two cents

So which one do you want to cut?  The answer can't be none, we'll just add another as the RB group isn't that weak to justify adding another at the expense of another position. 

The most likely choice would be Yeldon, but he serves a purpose for pass catching, so you better get someone who also is good at catching passes out of the backfield and also a good blocker.  As far as Yeldon offering little to nothing as a runner, how do you know that as he has had very few changes.

If I were to make any moves or trades, to me the weakest area is at tackle and would look there.  But they are also less of them available too that are decent.

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Singletary has a hamstring issue.  PEOPLE.  He also is not a proven RB1 in this league.  He is tiny.   Need I go on.  We need a backup IF GORE GETS INJURED.   I never said get one now.  

I don't know about tiny, Ryan.  He is a 200 lb'er and there have been loads of RBs his size who have done very well.  BTW, McCoy is only a few lbs heavier.  

3 hours ago, pop gun said:

They signed Senorise Perry giving them 4 active RB and i'm sure they have Marcus Murphy on speed dial should they need him.

For me the act of signing Perry makes me think that Singletary will be ready for the Miami game.

15 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Does Perry have the ability to contribute as a runner if called upon?

At best one could say maybe but doubtful.  I'm totally clueless if he can pass block too.

34 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

I don't know about tiny, Ryan.  He is a 200 lb'er and there have been loads of RBs his size who have done very well.  BTW, McCoy is only a few lbs heavier.  

He's basically the same size as Barry Sanders, with Devin one inch shorter but a few pounds heavier.

Devon's draft profile had him at 203, and rookies often tend to pick up a few pounds of muscle in the NFL.

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

You know who is available on a rookie contract for MORE than a year or two, without having to give ANYTHING up to get?

Singletary. He'll be back next game.  22 touches per game and 55 TDs in last 2 years of college, I think he can shoulder a load with Gore backing him up.  Hamstring injury was a fluke.

Also a lot of people seem to have a problem with Gore only getting 4.4 yards per carry, and speculating he's going to fall apart at any moment despite no injury history or any signs of slowing down.

Hamstrings seem to linger and eventually return. Not to hijack this thread but why is it that basketball players rarely have hamstring injuries compared to football players ? Perhaps training with weights for football players and less so for b ballers. I played basketball both in HS & College and never once do I remember any player having a hammy.

2 hours ago, Deadstroke said:

McCoy didn't have top end speed either - but did alright, huh?

I'm not suggesting that the Bills are interested in replacing Singletary, but speed at running back is another tool/weapon they could certainly find a use for.  If Gore does a one and done for the Bills, they will have two RBs on the roster after the season.  Perry, the special teams/utility guy is 32 years old.  He's certainly not guaranteed to be on the roster next season.  If the Bills have room for two, why not look for a one cut power guy  and a speed guy.  I'm assuming they can also fill those holes with guys that can excel at special teams.