Buffalo RB Situation

So while the trade deadline looms overhead we at TBD have been focusing on WR.

Rumors of AJ Green, Stephon Diggs etc swirl about.

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Cut Shady, and injury to Singletary and its been only Gore and Yeldon.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

of his competition coming in.

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

RB is a much higher need right now than WR.

my two cents

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I mean sure I get the feeling the RB is still a work in progress Gore is at best a year by year coin flip and Yeldon hasn't been great. I definitely think it's something they'll keep working on but barring something convenient rolling into their lap I'd bet it's more likely something after this season.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean sure I get the feeling the RB is still a work in progress Gore is at best a year by year coin flip and Yeldon hasn't been great. I definitely think it's something they'll keep working on but barring something convenient rolling into their lap I'd bet it's more likely something after this season.

I agree, especially with the anticipation of Devin Singletary coming back healthy.  They'll stay with the personnel in place.  Additionally, I think Daboll places more emphasis on the WR and TE positions, especially when the offense completely unfolds as Josh is able to process it.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

So while the trade deadline looms overhead we at TBD have been focusing on WR.

Rumors of AJ Green, Stephon Diggs etc swirl about.

The cut of Zay Jones for Duke Williams, and knowing that Robert Foster isn't in the 'doghouse' but has been battling a groin injury for some weeks now tells me the WR room is ok.

I have faith in Brown, Beasly, McKenzie (Big plays), Williams, Foster and Roberts to assemble as a decent NFL WR Corps. It's a nice mix.

What I don't have faith in is the RB room after a 36 year old Frank Gore. With Gore, McCoy, Singletary and or Yeldon it looked awesome.

Cut Shady, and injury to Singletary and its been only Gore and Yeldon.

Gore is a stud, he has been a stud and is doing amazing things given his age and opportunity. Yeldon has made some plays and should be given credit for it.

Neither of these guys, or even Singletary can carry the load. God forbid Gore goes down before Singletary can come back, and even if he does can Yeldon

and Singletary carry a run game? No they can not. Singletary is a terrific change of pace back. 3 games in he was injured. I was worried about his size and the level

of his competition coming in.

Buffalo should be looking for a RB, before wearing out Frank Gore and having to rely on Yeldon. Gore is a pefect battering ram at 15 carries a game, but can't carry the load, and Yeldon offers little to nothing as a running RB. A 5th for Ballage or Drake from Miami seems right, even if it's after the game with them. A 4th or 5th to Denver for Lindsay would be fine too.

This new O-Line is designed to mash, but the horses simply aren't in the barn to do it.

RB is a much higher need right now than WR.

my two cents

Teams that go far in the playoffs usually seem to have two things in common, a strong defense and a strong running game. Obviously the Bills have one of the two. In the little that I’ve seen from Singletary he’s been impressive. But that’s just it, I’ve only seen a little of him. Gore is almost as old as I am. I would feel much better about this team if they had a stronger running game. Who knows how it will look when Singletary comes back but either way if a RB comes available they should strongly consider it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a little higher on Yeldon than most (or possibly all) on here. He's had 2 bad fumbles during his young walk in Buffalo, that really have left a bad taste in people's mouths and I get that. But I don't really think that's been a problem for him iirc. I think he's weapon as a receiver out of the backfield and he looks like he has a decent burst when he hits the hole. You could do far worse as a #3 RB. But if Gore were to go down, and Motor not at 100% I would definitely be worried. 

• Like (+1) 1

Running back becomes a serious problem if Gore goes down. I don't trust Yeldon carrying the load at all, and we're pretty close to that scenario at all times. In the past two years he only had 20 touches in a game once, and can you guess what he did that game? The fumbles are an issue.

• Like (+1) 2

I saw a 36 yr old RB slowing down with the weight of a run game on him in the  first 3 qtrs of a tight Titans game.

Motor has proven nothing in the league for durability. What is his official status? He has never been asked to be a RB1 in this league.

Anyone want to give Yeldon 20 totes a game?

Fools gold relying on a 36 yr old. Gore is still great in situations, but continuing to count on him.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Penetrating insight.

If 36 yr old Gore goes down, who balances the offense with a run game?

Any team has trouble if both a starter and backup go down 

hopefully singletary would be healthy but underscores the need for a variety and depth of weapons on offense. Especially before your qb is an established distributor of the ball. 

7 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I saw a 36 yr old RB slowing down with the weight of a run game on him in the  first 3 qtrs of a tight Titans game.

Motor has proven nothing in the league for durability. What is his official status? He has never been asked to be a RB1 in this league.

Anyone want to give Yeldon 20 totes a game?

Fools gold relying on a 36 yr old. Gore is still great in situations, but continuing to count on him.

no one carries 20 a game these days. That’s 320 carries.

zeke barely broke 300 and was like 40 carries over saquon. Only like 7-8 guys even hit 240 (ie 15 per carry)

The Bills sit 7th rushing with basically 140 rushing yards a game but this thread comes in?

I'll tell you a little secret that most teams with similar or better record than ours rush the ball more avg per game wise. Yeah were not trying to be KC who has no D either. 

Gore doesn't have a injury history by any means and has done nothing but bounced McCoy and produced. I'm not even going to question this guy, your straight watching a legend of the game at this point. Enjoy it!

I just want to see Daboll get Devin more involved overall once back. Gore and Devin should both see at least 15 touches a game to actually help Allen develop. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 4

I think you make a good point.  However some of what you're saying is just "injuries suck,."  Singletary is the lead back and he gotnhurt.  If THE Bills had kept McCoy andcut Singletary and Shady gotnhurt erdnbe in the same position.  So some of it is just luck.  

The problem is that one backup is toon O kd and one is too limited.  It isn't ideal. 

Hope for Singletary to come back soon and stay healthy.  He is the key, and he's the reason I don't think Bills are actively looking for a Gordon.  They aren't replacing him as thw numerous 1, and there's not much reason to replace the other two.  

Just not an ideal situation.  

28 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Running back becomes a serious problem if Gore goes down. I don't trust Yeldon carrying the load at all, and we're pretty close to that scenario at all times. In the past two years he only had 20 touches in a game once, and can you guess what he did that game? The fumbles are an issue.

This is exactly the point, why wait until that happens? No one can count on a 36 yr old RB taking the majority of running snaps. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

I don’t mind the trade suggestions, but a lot of this thread is wrong.

Gore can and is carrying the load. He played in 14 games last year, and before that you have to go back to 2010 to find him missing games. While he is older, he doesn’t show signs of wearing down. 

Saying Singletary can’t carry the load is a bad take. He’s been dynamite when he’s been given the ball. 

Saying he got hurt because of his small stature is also a bad take as hamstrings have nothing to do with size. 

Lastly, while I don’t disagree that our RB could be polished and I wouldn’t hate an addition for the right circumstances, we just aren’t a run first team anymore. We’re passing way more and that means less emphasis on running and thus RB.

If we just need some depth- what about Jay Ajayi? He’s still sitting on the market last I checked... if healthy he’d be a good ground and pound player ala Gore.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1