Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Duke simply does not have Metcalf's speed. No where near.

Agreed

Folks that are trying to compare Duke to Metcalf when it comes to pure physical traits....nooo

but

That does not mean that Duke does not have some real positive traits going for him as well........if all Duke every ended up being was that 3rd WR that high points end zone passes...he is a success

On 10/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, Sundancer said:

Agreed. The Bills might be better RIGHT NOW with Metcalf, but I like Ford at guard long term a lot. He mauls people. 

I am fine admitting that Metcalf is much better than I thought he'd be.

For once the drafts are falling into the positions the Bills need. In 2018 the Bills needed a QB it was a QB heavy draft (Unlike 2013 when they were in desperate need of a QB and it wasn't a good draft for one.) In 2019 the Bills needed a pass rusher and the draft featured a lot of good pass rushers. The 2020 draft is projected to be a WR heavy draft when the Bills need a WR. 

I loved the Ford pick and the time and while the early returns are mixed I would rather have a good guard in place around my young QB and wait a year to draft a top flight WR. Than to have taken DK early in round 2 instead of Ford. I will say that as DK was falling to the late 50's I did think that the Bills should have packaged the Singletary pick and one of their 4th rounders they had to go up and get him. But those picks ended up being Singletary and Knox who I think have some potential so I can't complain. But that was my thought the day of the draft. Why not go and get a deep threat for Josh after getting Ford to build a piece for the O-line going forward. 

Metcalf plays with Russell Wilson and is mostly a straight line runner. Allen cannot hit a deep ball to save his life, it is not that we dont have the WR to do it. Metcalf would be a waste in this offense right now.

We need crisp route runners that get separation quickly like Cole and Brown that Allen can hit in his sweet spot of 1-15 yards downfield.

1 minute ago, jletha said:

Metcalf plays with Russell Wilson and is mostly a straight line runner. Allen cannot hit a deep ball to save his life, it is not that we dont have the WR to do it. Metcalf would be a waste in this offense right now.

We need crisp route runners that get separation quickly like Cole and Brown that Allen can hit in his sweet spot of 1-15 yards downfield.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game against cleveland.

That whole trope in the first sentence was proven completely false.

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That was through the first month of the season. He is still mostly a N-S runner.

38 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No he is *mostly* a straight line runner. And I did watch the game against Cleveland this morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, the skycap said:

I hope the Metcalf doubters are watching this game against Cleveland. He’s showing that he is more than a one trick pony

Even if he were a one-trick pony, his one trick is very good and super valuable. And he's also not a one-trick pony. Pretty much every NFL team screwed up on their evaluation of him.

Edit: I also still like Cody Ford btw, but I made it pretty clear before the draft how much I liked Metcalf and he's pretty consistently proven himself each week so far this year.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Again, doesn't include last week.  Did you watch the Cleveland/Sea game

It was on at the bar I was at, with all of the other games. But Im going to need more than one good game to claim that he is something more than a straight line WR.

Even in the other game against the Rams one of his two catches is a straight run to the endzone from the left side: https://www.seahawks.com/video/2019-week-5-russell-wilson-hits-dk-metcalf-in-stride-for-40-yard-touchdown

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No he is *mostly* a straight line runner. And I did watch the game against Cleveland this morning. 

Yep. Slant, crosser, and go routes. No routes requiring sudden stops or changes of direction. And double move routes are out if the question. He may not be a one trick pony, but he’s a pony with one trick that has a few variations. 

That said, his unique combination of size, strength, and speed make that one trick a challenge to defend. Especially with an accurate QB like Wilson at the helm.

You know that old line about true genius being found in the ability to hold seemingly contradictory opinions at the same time? I doubt I'm a genius, but I do believe that:

A. Beane and McDermott have drafted very well overall. I'd give them a solid "A."

B. As good as Tre White has been, we would have been far better off keeping the 10th pick in 2017 and drafting Mahomes.

C. Yes, we should've taken Metcalf instead of Ford.

That's the way the draft works. In hindsight, you always make mistakes, but that's o.k. if overall the team gets significantly better/younger.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yep. Slant, crosser, and go routes. No routes requiring sudden stops or changes of direction. And double move routes are out if the question. He may not be a one trick pony, but he’s a pony with one trick that has a few variations. 

That said, his unique combination of size, strength, and speed make that one trick a challenge to defend. Especially with an accurate QB like Wilson at the helm.

Yea. I think one trick pony makes it sound a bit derogatory. I would say one dimensional but it is a dimension worth having and I can see the argument for him over Ford in the 2nd. I wouldn't have been against that pick at all. I was vehemently against him in the top 10. He has only caught 51% of the balls thrown his way as a pro so far. Now it is agreed some of those have a high degree of difficulty for the QB to complete because they are deep shots but he needs to improve that number. Wilson and the Seahawks are a perfect fit for him.