Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think when it is all said and done its going to be Ty N. at RT with Bates backing him up.

Cody Ford will end up at OG (and if he starts it is NOT a wasted pick)

I dont want to hate on Metcalf....no reason to.....he runs one route on the field and he is very good at it.

We addressed WR with Smoke and Beasely.....Dawson Knox looks solid as a 3rd round pick......if Duke ends up working out we are good.

STOP BITCHING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSES TOYS THAT YOU DIDNT GET FOR CHRISTMAS.....for christ sake

That is just not true 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

That is just not true 

Yeah it’s a popular myth that people have just decided in their heads like the one where people said Duke was slow as molasses and can’t get open in the NFL.  

Just not accurate assessments at all.  But the more people say it the more they believe it.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I have watched his games....its his go to route is it not? 

It isn't quite true that he runs one route but he has a limited route tree. He lacks quick change of direction skills so you design routes that benefit his long speed as a rule. But he can run a slant as well where he just sets off inside and his size and strength win for him. 

DK is exactly what I thought he'd be so far. Ford has been a disappointment at tackle. I had him as my top Guard but I had a "with tackle flex" designation and as such I have been a little underwhelmed because I did think he was someone who could play tackle even if I didn't think that was his best position (same designation I had on Dion Dawkins for what it is worth). 

Beane clearly thought so too. It isn't just that he said Cody would start off there... go back and watch the draft room video and there reaction when Carolina trade up "This is Ford. They need a tackle." Beane was thinking about Ford as a tackle. I am not sure they were trading up there if they felt he was strictly a guard. I suppose that is the only issue I have with them. I have no problem with picking Cody or an interior lineman over a receiver in the 2nd. But as a matter of principle I don't love trading up in the 2nd for an interior guy. 

At this point I would've rather have taken Metcalf even if his route running needs some major work.  One thing Metcalf forces defenses to do is to give the CB safety help over the top to prevent the big play because he's a physical freak.    He's 6'3 230 lbs and ran a 4.33 40 which is ridiculous.  That ability would've opened the field up more for Brown, Beasley, Knox, etc..

It's still too early to tell though as Ford may turn into a pro bowl guard for all we know.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah it’s a popular myth that people have just decided in their heads like the one where people said Duke was slow as molasses and can’t get open in the NFL.  

Just not accurate assessments at all.  But the more people say it the more they believe it.

It’s like Trumpism?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

The early recognition that Jones wasn’t cutting it and the leap of faith to start Duke shows that they recognized the need for such a WR. If Duke keeps it up, I’ll be fine with having Ford over Metcalf this season. In contrast, Jones made no sense for the Bills with regards to his skill set or outside role, and it’s very hard to make the case that he would develop or succeed in Buffalo compared to the other guys available who had some elite measurables (whereas Zay is average in most regards and valuable to a deep team as an extra slot/midfield threat). 

12 minutes ago, ny33 said:

The early recognition that Jones wasn’t cutting it and the leap of faith to start Duke shows that they recognized the need for such a WR. If Duke keeps it up, I’ll be fine with having Ford over Metcalf this season. In contrast, Jones made no sense for the Bills with regards to his skill set or outside role, and it’s very hard to make the case that he would develop or succeed in Buffalo compared to the other guys available who had some elite measurables (whereas Zay is average in most regards and valuable to a deep team as an extra slot/midfield threat). 

Duke is not really similar to DK. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Duke is not really similar to DK. 

Sure, but no doubt that a QB like Allen can’t do much with a generally-unexceptional Jones deep and outside/on contested catches that Zay struggled with physically and under the pressure. It made little sense to take Jones over Smith-Schuster at the time based on fit and the need for a physical wideout. For the record, I think Jones will have a decent and long career as the 4th receiver on a team with a veteran QB (e.g. the Pats’  value from Amendola-types). He’s improved significantly and I think fans have something of a confirmation bias regarding his drops combined with the high rate of drops in the end zone/3rd down that fans remember. On catchable balls, he was fine after Foster emerged and with the veteran talent we added this year, but Allen’s inconsistent velocity and deep accuracy just don’t work without a burner like Foster or Brown. 

14 minutes ago, ny33 said:

Sure, but no doubt that a QB like Allen can’t do much with a generally-unexceptional Jones deep and outside/on contested catches that Zay struggled with physically and under the pressure. It made little sense to take Jones over Smith-Schuster at the time based on fit and the need for a physical wideout. For the record, I think Jones will have a decent and long career as the 4th receiver on a team with a veteran QB (e.g. the Pats’  value from Amendola-types). He’s improved significantly and I think fans have something of a confirmation bias regarding his drops combined with the high rate of drops in the end zone/3rd down that fans remember. On catchable balls, he was fine after Foster emerged and with the veteran talent we added this year, but Allen’s inconsistent velocity and deep accuracy just don’t work without a burner like Foster or Brown. 

Who said anything about Zay Jones? 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No one. Just saying that the Bills needed to replace him with a physical outside receiver like Metcalf or Duke, differences between them notwithstanding. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was about to lol

12 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

One thing is for certain, D.K. isn't the bust that many on here labeled him as (I haven't forgotten). 

He's actually as advertised and is only going to get better, barring injury.  It was a mistake then and still is now.

I can't prove it, but I feel like a lot of the people in this thread saying he only has 12 catches through 5 games are the same people saying Zay deserves more chances because it takes 3 years for a WR to develop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

After re-watching the Tennessee game, Ford actually played well in that one (all snaps at RT as far as I could tell).  He got beaten once by a speed rusher, giving up a sack, but that was his only negative play.  Otherwise he was solid.  Hope that's a sign of growth.

Metcalf was a physical freak coming out of college, but he wasn't even the best or most productive WR on his team. That title was reserved for AJ Brown. Also, Metcalf has had a pretty serious injury already with his neck issue. He doesn't run a full route tree yet, but that doesn't mean he won't at some point. You know he is good for a go route or a fade starting off. I expect his game to broaden as he continues to work on his craft. He may end up being a great player or he may end up being a one trick pony, who knows at this point. Our team needed a complete makeover on the OL and they addressed that through FA and with Ford in the draft. We're 5 games in for either guy. I think it's pretty impossible at this point to speak as if we know for certain which player is going to turn out to be the better of the two in regards to their effectiveness at their respective positions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1