Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

I had zero interest in Metcalf because of his one dimensionality. And as a fan of Beane and our current scouting department and seeing their genuine worry about possibly losing Ford when another team traded ahead of them and then their joy when they got him, I am willing to give the "experts" the benefit of the doubt. But this post did get me thinking a little bit about guys I did like and how I had no idea how they are currently doing. So it got me to do a little research. I'm not much of a 20/20 hindsite type of guy. It is what it is. The past can't be changed. If it could we'd all be lottery winners. But I was curious about the 2 guys I did like and by some accounts they're both doing well. 

AJ Brown

Titans Rookie WR A.J. Brown Shows Out Before “Big Bro”  Julio Jones
https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-rookie-wr-a-j-brown-shows-out-before-big-bro-julio-jones

Dalton Risner 

Broncos OG Dalton Risner Earns Impressive PFF Grade Through First Five Games
https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-og-dalton-risner-earns-impressive-pff-grade-through-first-five-games/

I'm not trying to stir up any more controversy. I'm still willing to wait and see with Ford. I do love his passion and willingness to defend his teammates and QB. I'm just saying we can't draft everyone. We can't have every good player. We can't hit on every single draft pick. Or get them all "exactly" right. But I for one have complete faith in Beane, Dan Morgan, and the rest of our scouting staff. My bigger fear is losing Dan Morgan or other members of our scouting staff as the years pass. They are all on one page, all have a vision, and all finally "get it."

13 hours ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

Ford is seeing the field his first year.  It typically takes a couple years and at least one full off season of NFL conditioning for a lineman to get into shape.  The Bills focused on the OL and that was the right thing to do.

There are big, obvious draft whiffs and controversial choices, but every time a player drafted later has some success in their first few games, that does not mean we "blew it"

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ford is seeing the field his first year.  It typically takes a couple years and at least one full off season of NFL conditioning for a lineman to get into shape.  The Bills focused on the OL and that was the right thing to do.

There are big, obvious draft whiffs and controversial choices, but every time a player drafted later has some success in their first few games, that does not mean we "blew it"

The worrisome thing with Ford is that quite a few outlets said it didn’t have the foot speed and ability to play outside. That looks to be true.

I know, people will say he can improve. He can, but he can’t morph into an entirely different human. He is big and slow. Hopefully he ends up being good inside. 

These kids are five games into their rookie seasons. It’s way to early to tell who is going to fizzle out and who’s going to develop. Ford can definitely lose 15 pounds in the off season while improving his strength and technique. The book isn’t written yet... Heck, this same thread might get made later about Mecole or Hakeem Butler, and people will complain saying it should have been included in the Isabella “I told you so” thread. 

We should also keep in mind that most of Beane’s O-Line signings were 1-2 year deals. If Ford ends up being a dominant guard that’s a fine use of a 2nd round pick, especially when we’ll need guard depth in 2020-21. Ford will start at guard and be able to flex to RT if there’s an injury. Starting quality guards have always had 2nd round value, and a lot of teams take shots on possible OTs with guard floors in the round. 

No need to second guess the pick yet, IMO. There were four holes on the O-line, and they’re all patched. It’ll get sorted out in a more satisfactory manner now that this team can add to talent that’s already on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

So you don't like hindsight draft conjecture but you are doing just several games into each of their playing careers?  Seems a bit premature, no?

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I heard Metcalf scored a TD.

But no TD's for Ford?   Bust!

4 hours ago, london_bills said:

Metcalfe got into a 'heated conversation' at his pre draft interview with the 49ers apparently. ?

Not going to bode well when others teams that are TEAM FIRST places like buffalo hear that. 

I’ve never heard anything negative about Metcalf (not Melcalfe) off the field.  His dad was an NFL lineman, and from everything I’ve heard, he’s a really hard worker and a good guy.  To my knowledge there were zero character red flags on him leading up to the draft...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

The worrisome thing with Ford is that quite a few outlets said it didn’t have the foot speed and ability to play outside. That looks to be true.

I know, people will say he can improve. He can, but he can’t morph into an entirely different human. He is big and slow. Hopefully he ends up being good inside. 

Yeah, the concerning thing about Ford isn’t that he’s started off slow—that’s not unusual for a rookie O-lineman—but rather that he seems to be physically unsuited to play the position he was drafted to play.  The didn’t move up to the 38th pick to draft a guard who is a converted OT.

7 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Quite a few outlets said Cordy Glenn was a guard.

"Hell, No, he's not a guard!"  -Buddy Nix

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

...and he is terrible at RT

That is not the point

He was going to START OUT AT RT and if that did not work out move to OG....of which he has shown he is pretty good.

It is not Cody Ford's fault that Beane was aggressive on getting offensive linemen in the offseason and we ended up with several good OG's.....One of which is on a one year deal this year.

• Like (+1) 1

In my football watching tenure, I've never seen an OT perform as poorly as Ford has at Tackle and turn out to be a good/great tackle. 

But hey I'm no coach or scout.

With that said Ford has turned out to be a very good guard in the moments he has played that position- so maybe all is not lost.

?

I think when it is all said and done its going to be Ty N. at RT with Bates backing him up.

Cody Ford will end up at OG (and if he starts it is NOT a wasted pick)

I dont want to hate on Metcalf....no reason to.....he runs one route on the field and he is very good at it.

We addressed WR with Smoke and Beasely.....Dawson Knox looks solid as a 3rd round pick......if Duke ends up working out we are good.

STOP BITCHING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSES TOYS THAT YOU DIDNT GET FOR CHRISTMAS.....for christ sake

• Haha (+1) 1