Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

O linemen take time to develop.  Ford will be at minimum a mauler at G.  

I agree. The question being posed here is whether that is value. I am fine with a dominant interior player in the 2nd round, but there are those who say you go for the highest ceiling guy when factoring in positional impact. That is the argument for DK. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. The question being posed here is whether that is value. I am fine with a dominant interior player in the 2nd round, but there are those who say you go for the highest ceiling guy when factoring in positional impact. That is the argument for DK. 

You can find straight line WRs elsewhere and when Foster heals up he plays that role

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You can find straight line WRs elsewhere and when Foster heals up he plays that role

For what it is worth I agree with you. I think DK is better than Robert Foster but in terms of style of player they are very similar. I am just putting the other side of the argument to you. There are those that say unless an interior olineman is special - Q Nelson or Zack Martin etc - they do not justify selection in the first two rounds because they don't impact games enough.

That is the debate. Not whether Ford can be a good guard which most believe he can. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For what it is worth I agree with you. I think DK is better than Robert Foster but in terms of style of player they are very similar. I am just putting the other side of the argument to you. There are those that say unless an interior olineman is special - Q Nelson or Zack Martin etc - they do not justify selection in the first two rounds because they don't impact games enough.

That is the debate. Not whether Ford can be a good guard which most believe he can. 

I get where you’re coming from

10 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Ford has played 5 games.   Let's all settle down

It maybe just 5 games but it's pretty obvious that at this particular juncture in his season he's not a RT, not even close. I think everybody has accepted that he may very well end up being a very good Guard. Unfortunately Dawkins isn't a franchise LT either but could more than handle RT duties better than Ford. I guess the search will  still be ongoing for the elusive franchise LT. 

Edited by billsbackto81

30 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It maybe just 5 games but it's pretty obvious that at this particular juncture in his season he's not a RT, not even close. I think everybody has accepted that he may very well end up being a very good Guard. Unfortunately Dawkins isn't a franchise LT either but could more than handle RT duties better than Ford. I guess the search will  still be ongoing for the elusive franchise LT. 

I am still not convinced Dawkins to RT is an answer. Yes it was as a rookie and yes it was pre-season but right from when he got here he was more comfortable on the left that the right. He has a quite pronounced left leg dominance in his stance. Would he be better at RT than Ford had so far? Sure. But I suspect he would be a worse RT than LT.

That said if you are moving Dawkins anywhere from his current position the right answer has always been and still is LG. The problem is both our tackles might want to play that spot once Spain leaves in FA. Dawkins was much better last week though. His best game since his rookie year. So there is encouragement there. 

I think it was the right move at the time. And still way to early to see how it all pans out. I’m not sure even Beane knew what he would be getting with Jon Feliciano and Ty. We had signed Brown and Beasley, Kroft probably figured Zay would be in the equation.but our online was a disaster last year and had to be fixed at all costs .

sometimes I may not see what the coaches are seeing but don’t understand all the rotation back and forth but it would be hard to get Feliciano out there and the only way to get Cody in the field is have him play Rt.

i imagine beane was also scouting 2020 and knowing by all accounts it would be a great wr draft.

i don’t mind passing on them. Duke Kaboom is now our big body. I will be interested in seeing how the others careers play out though. Brown is a beast and I think the titans got a good pick.

10 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

loved the Cody Ford pick at the time, but I would have liked Mecalf too, and honestly Metcalf is looking like the better choice after a whopping total of five games.  Let's give Ford a chance to settle in and find a place on the line, and we can address WR next year in a draft stacked at the position.

May I remind you, 12 catches...12!!! But let's press and ready that yellow jacket after a first 5 games that would pan out for a season to 34 catches and 854 yards (which would be a solid rookie season, but not world-changing, and those 11 games have not been played either)

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How many for TD?

A whopping 2. Karlos Williams had 5 TDs (at least) after his first five games. 

I'm always in awe of fans who during a 4-1 start will decide to fixate on finding something bad, especially when it's as specious an argument as judging a draft pick after five weeks. I was close watching the games the last few days, and Ford has definitely been a weak spot of the line (loving Morse, Feliciano, and Dawkins with my untrained eye), but then at this point in his career Jason Peters was still a failed tight end. It's kind of more likely that he would struggle in his first five games than succeed.

Just now, thurst44 said:

A whopping 2. Karlos Williams had 5 TDs (at least) after his first five games. 

I'm always in awe of fans who during a 4-1 start will decide to fixate on finding something bad, especially when it's as specious an argument as judging a draft pick after five weeks. I was close watching the games the last few days, and Ford has definitely been a weak spot of the line (loving Morse, Feliciano, and Dawkins with my untrained eye), but then at this point in his career Jason Peters was still a failed tight end. It's kind of more likely that he would struggle in his first five games than succeed.

Ford's been bad, man. There's no two ways about it. Hopefully, they can salvage him as a guard, otherwise that was a bad 2nd round pick.

And I'm not sure how much you read around here, I'm pretty consistently positive.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

"I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting,"

Yet here you are...

• Like (+1) 1