Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

Not gonna lie, I was huge on Metcalf and honestly thought he was gonna go late first. I would have preferred him in the 2nd rd as well but 100% understand and agree with the Ford pick.

Ford was a steal where we landed him and building a young stout O-line for your QB is more important than WR's, that can come later. 

I'm content, just sucks waiting for development. 

OP, we'll prob draft a WR with our 1st or 2nd as next year is a very strong WR class.  

Edited by Real McCoy
wrong year for draft
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I still like the Ford pick, at worst you kick him into the LG position next year and let Spain walk. Ideally you could have an O-line of Dawkins-Ford-Mitch-Feliciano-Ty (and draft a RT again to push Ty.) 

It's typically not a good draft pick when you project a player on draft day and within 4 months he has to change positions.  For an OT, movement inside to guard, particularly RG, is an inefficient use of draft resources.  

Normally you give a player time but his physical limitations are so obvious they can't keep playing him at RT.  

I'm not going to lie, I think Metcalf and Allen would be a great combo. They're both big, raw physical specimens. I think the chemistry would be good. I like Ford, I think he'll be a beast also. I kind of got turned off by Metcalf because a lot of people had him going to Buffalo at 9, which I was against. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes they should have taken Metcalf.    His skillset would have been a perfect fit with Allen.   He leads the NFL in ypc and passes thrown to him average 19 air yards......which is A LOT.......for folks who doe-no.   Cody Ford is a guard.   You REALLY gotta' be good at an interior position like guard to be worthy of a first or second round pick.   Those rounds are where you need to get your edge talent(if you aren't drafting a QB)...........you can get good guards in free agency.   

If Jon F. would not have worked out we would be thanking the heavens that Cody Ford was drafted....because he has the makings of an elite OG

THat WR literally runs one route (and does it very well) but we will find one to fill it we are not done yet on offense

I did find it odd that Metcalf slid so far. Interesting to see him find some success. Proving the doubters wrong and the supporters right. But it's early.

His success does not mean the Ford pick was bad or good.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

No. Metcalf has shown he cut run fast and straight. That's it. 

He has looked every bit the mid round deep threat WR. 

Ford is just getting messed around. He is an NFL Guard. They seem to be persisting with this Tackle idea, which is pointless as he clearly isn't one

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes they should have taken Metcalf.    His skillset would have been a perfect fit with Allen.   He leads the NFL in ypc and passes thrown to him average 19 air yards......which is A LOT.......for folks who doe-no.   Cody Ford is a guard.   You REALLY gotta' be good at an interior position like guard to be worthy of a first or second round pick.   Those rounds are where you need to get your edge talent(if you aren't drafting a QB)...........you can get good guards in free agency.   

So many old narratives in 1 post.... 

The team is deliberately cutting the air yards to reduce risk for Josh Allen. Metcalf is 1 dimensional, John Brown gives you everything Metcalf does as a deep threat with a lot more. 

The world has moved from the silly, only OTs early thing. Guards and Centers can change lines, and fortunately teams are recognising that

7 hours ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

No wonder you're disappointed with Ford's development, you think he's already a second year player...

I liked the Ford pick. I'd have been fine with Metcalf in the 2nd too. I didn't have a lot between them on my grades. I had AJ Brown even higher that Metcalf and on the exact same grade as Ford so would have also been fine with him. 

My view on Metcalf has always been the same - he is one dimensional but it is a dimension worth having. The Bills likely thought he was a souped up version of Robert Foster, which I think is true, but the way Foster has disappeared this season clearly suggests there was a need to fill there. 

Funny thing is my brother (who is a rams fan) predicted buffalo would win the Superbowl if we drafted DK Metcalf. I definitely wish we hadn't traded up for C.Ford rather let the best player on our board continue to fall to us.

I do think Metcalf is a rare wr talent that would've paired nicely with Josh Allen. But Ford may still turn out to be a good player for buffalo.

But just the dynamics of DK's speed and catch radius would be absurd with Allen's arm strength. Mind you DK is having a good year so far as a rookie. 

Time will tell... Hopefully we didn't pass up on the next Randy Moss type wr.

49 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Funny thing is my brother (who is a rams fan) predicted buffalo would win the Superbowl if we drafted DK Metcalf. I definitely wish we hadn't traded up for C.Ford rather let the best player on our board continue to fall to us.

I do think Metcalf is a rare wr talent that would've paired nicely with Josh Allen. But Ford may still turn out to be a good player for buffalo.

But just the dynamics of DK's speed and catch radius would be absurd with Allen's arm strength. Mind you DK is having a good year so far as a rookie. 

Time will tell... Hopefully we didn't pass up on the next Randy Moss type wr.

DK Metcalf is most decidedly not the next Randy Moss.