Metcalf instead of Ford?

finn

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still like the Ford pick, at worst you kick him into the LG position next year and let Spain walk. Ideally you could have an O-line of Dawkins-Ford-Mitch-Feliciano-Ty (and draft a RT again to push Ty.) 

I would have preferred the team package some picks with the pick that was used on Singletary to go up and get DK as he was falling into the late 50's instead of taking him around pick 40. I however would still rather have Cody who has shown to be a pretty capable guard. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I preferred Risner. Anyway if they play Cody in his position he could turn out really well. There has been a bit of a thing the last few years for playing newly drafted OL out of position. Play to his strengths.

Right. Ford could still turn out to be a monster, especially at guard. I do liked Duke a lot, too. He's ferocious and hungry,

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Common man!!!  Enough of this crap....

Fortunately, it’s not THAT common. This is.....”special”.  ?

It’s way too soon to make this call. Five games in an NFL career, playing in a completely new group at OL, I’d say it’s too early to judge. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Fortunately, it’s not THAT common. This is.....”special”.  ?

It’s way too soon to make this call. Five games in an NFL career, playing in a completely new group at OL, I’d say it’s too early to judge. 

Its a very high bar we have here..

Not only do they have to hit on every draft pick ( seems they are hitting on several), they have to all come in and play lights out immediately ..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm not usually a big fan of hindsight drafting, and I think Beane et all have done a great job overall drafting high-character, high-motor guys. But I do think they might have whiffed when they drafted Cody Ford instead of WR DK Metcalf in the second round last year. It's too early to be sure, and Ford could eventually become a monster, but we really could use a big, fast receiver like Metcalf, and we already had a nicely developing guard in Wyatt Teller. (Yes, they were/are hoping Ford will be RT, but his feet seem just too slow for that position.) I'll take a whiff in the second for a hit in virtually every other draft spot, but, let's face it, they seem to have blown it in the second. Do you agree? 

I remember character being mentioned somewhere regards metcalfe. That plays into this regimes thinking

• Like (+1) 1