Just how dominant is this Buffalo Bills defense?

Beast

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well I cant stand this dude. but still cool to hear! HAHA.

this is a fair point. but how else are we supposed to judge them? i'm gonna base it off what I've seen. not projections.

just feelin' sassy I suppose.

I mean, I feel like we agree more than we disagree. My strong preference has always been an aggressive defense that generates a ton of pressure, accumulates sacks, and forces turnovers. 2014 Bills D as a reference point sans the debacle in Oakland. With our offense, it would be great to see them given a short field on occasion. So that's a personal preference that may skew my overall assessment. But it's also 100 percent accurate to say that what they've done in response to short fields/TO's "generated" by OUR offense has been outstanding. "Dominant" even. There's very little doubt in my mind that this defense will remain in the top 5 and IS one of the best in the league. Best in the league? I think there may be one missing piece, but we'll have our answers by the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow, those are some big boy plays by #49, and that Ed Oliver hustle play was outstanding.  Wonder how many other d-linemen would have called it good after getting knocked off his feet... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Wow, those are some big boy plays by #49, and that Ed Oliver hustle play was outstanding.  Wonder how many other d-linemen would have called it good after getting knocked off his feet... 

I feel like I remember Oliver making a big time hustle play way down the field on a Lewis reception as well. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That EO play was amazing really. He needs to get better at his primary job of rushing the passer and holding up at the point of attack, but wow. I remember seeing a few similar clips from college. Dude is ELITE in run PURSUIT.

19 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The Buffalo Bills have given up a total of 70 points.

The Buffalo Bills defense, when on the field NOT after an offensive turnover, have given up 41 points in 56 drives.

The Bills defense is giving up 0.73 points per drive when they are on the field NOT after an offensive turnover. That is an amazing stat!

Then, out of those 41, 8 points came after a free kick when the Bills offense gave up a safety.

We really are witnessing domination.

please calculate for other teams so it has context 

The Patriots starting LBs and DBs

Have given up 67 completions for 724 yards 1td and 12 interceptions. A 49.3 completion percentage and that equates to a 31.0 passer rating allowed.

Outside of the 2003 defense you wont find a 6 game stretch that they have been this good.

Belichick made a few minor tweaks to the defense. Last year the patriots defense got killed by qbs that could get outside the pocket and use their legs and arm to make plays.  

If the bills defense is dominant and really good then new englands is right there. Considering they are schedule adjusted 32 and 31 respectively when you look at dvoa thru week 5

...Frazier has seemingly corrected their "week to week bi-polarisms" versus the run....never knew which run D would show up....Pettine was the same..."Stone Wall vs Wikileaks"...three 200 yd efforts last year are hopefully a thing of the past....sure Leslie did not fare well in his HC stiint....but I sure as hell hope he is NOT a demeaning "Rooney Rule" interview for any HC openings...regardless of skin color, the man deserves FAR better......keep 'em in  OUR fold.......he is valued PERIOD....sad to remember the TBD posting "experts" who deemed his hire as, "....meh.....nothing but a glorified DB Coach..."...I'm certain they'll be along shortly with the mea culpas(COUGH".......SMH..............

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

The Patriots starting LBs and DBs

Have given up 67 completions for 724 yards 1td and 12 interceptions. A 49.3 completion percentage and that equates to a 31.0 passer rating allowed.

Outside of the 2003 defense you wont find a 6 game stretch that they have been this good.

Belichick made a few minor tweaks to the defense. Last year the patriots defense got killed by qbs that could get outside the pocket and use their legs and arm to make plays.  

If the bills defense is dominant and really good then new englands is right there. Considering they are schedule adjusted 32 and 31 respectively when you look at dvoa thru week 5

So you're a Pats fan spending his Saturday on a Bills message board debating who's defense is better? Mmkay.

It's hard to say. We really don't have that much talent on defense and somehow we still get it done. We have a bunch of pretty good players on D and several more average guys as well. I think the coaching and play calling must get the lion's share of the credit. In any case, I just hope they can keep it up all season.