Just how dominant is this Buffalo Bills defense?

Beast

8 hours ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

Wow that NE defense is amazing. Bills look ok. Think they are over rated

The Bills defense is not overrated.  They held the goat of the NFL 45% completion rating.  It was his second worse game in twenty years.  As far as the comparison to the 98 Bills defense, it’s hard to compare because the rules were different back then.  They are both fantastic.

41 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

1st in 3 and outs. 2nd in passer rating. 2nd in YPA. And I think if you take out the special team and defensive scores for all teams  it moves them to 2nd in points allowed at 11ppg.... the list is LONG 

there are like 3 posters concerned more about the style in which it’s getting done as opposed to the hard numbers. It’s silly. 

And they’re referring to turnovers which tend to fluctuate quite a bit. They also occur more frequently in games where one team has to press aggressively to stay in it (young QBs aside) just like sacks. Plus Brady and Mariota aren’t turnover prone, and Eli just freezes, spikes it, or takes the sack. The turnovers will come when we get young or over confident QBs that try to force a ball into coverages they didn’t recognize. We have plenty of those QBs Post bye.... Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Keenam/McCoy/Haskins, Rudolph, and Wentz can definitely attempt hero ball. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

And they’re referring to turnovers which tend to fluctuate quite a bit. They also occur more frequently in games where one team has to press aggressively to stay in it (young QBs aside) just like sacks. Plus Brady and Mariota aren’t turnover prone, and Eli just freezes, spikes it, or takes the sack. The turnovers will come when we get young or over confident QBs that try to force a ball into coverages they didn’t recognize. We have plenty of those QBs Post bye.... Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Keenam/McCoy/Haskins, Rudolph, and Wentz can definitely attempt hero ball. 

Not to mention when you tack the fact we are TOP TEN in takeaways anyways, onto all the other stats we are dominant in it’s just a dumb argument on anyone’s part. 

Its not flashy. There aren’t a lot of WOW plays. People mistake that for a weakness. 

I think we will start to find out after the bye week. Playing at home against Miami and Washington, got to be able to keep those teams to a combined 20 points or less at MOST. Caveat being our offense not given them points or easy field position. Would be nice to keep Philly under 20-24 too.

Patriots defense is the best in the league until proven otherwise. They have played mostly cream puffs this season but got to give it to them for shutting out Mahomes in the first half last year and then holding the Rams to 3 points. Thing is, cut back on the turnovers and our offense is not just better than New Englands, but clearly better. But turnovers are huge so we will see if we can cut back on them or not.

8 hours ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

Wow that NE defense is amazing. Bills look ok. Think they are over rated

Lol. The one team that’s faced worse offenses and qb’s than the bills this year. 

And then he says the bills D is simply “ok” and overrated.... just dripping with irony. 

The pats didnt even have the best defensive performance on the field when they came to buffalo. 

This guy is a few puffs short of a full balloon. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As I have posted in other threads, the D has been great. Elite or dominant for me means more turnovers. They are forcing punts but not a lot of turnovers. Turnovers lead to shirt fields and even some defensive scores. Jets game was only competitive because their D scored. 

And I believe the lack of consistent pass rush is the key. If they can get just a few more QB hits and hurries a game, I think you will see a few more strip sacks and INTs. 

The number of batted balls is incredible but that will probably go down as there is some component of luck there. In fact one could argue the Bills have been unlucky to get more than just the Murphy INT on batted passes so far.

Not trying to take away anything they have done. But this offense needs a few more short fields. Short fields and more points early in the game will force the opponent to pass more which will give more opportunities for turnovers.

Well I wonder if the number of batted balls could have something to do with the lack of sacks? Are they being coached to not necessarily pin their ears back and go straight for the QB, potentially getting beat in the run game or misdirection plays, and instead stay more disciplined at the line of scrimmage and get their hands up knowing they can still be disruptive that way?

14 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

According to Cleveland sports radio, they aren't elite at all. They aren't even sure if they are any good. 

I cannot wait til 11/10 when we embarrass that offensive line and Baker gets a dose of what we gave Brady 

Well those guys certainly know football so I would be worried.

29 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lol. The one team that’s faced worse offenses and qb’s than the bills this year. 

And then he says the bills D is simply “ok” and overrated.... just dripping with irony. 

The pats didnt even have the best defensive performance on the field when they came to buffalo. 

This guy is a few puffs short of a full balloon. 

The patriots defense is far better. I dont care who they played. This is not debatable. 

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And they've played only one team with a semblance of any offense (NE).

Very good, but schedule has helped too.

27 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Well I wonder if the number of batted balls could have something to do with the lack of sacks? Are they being coached to not necessarily pin their ears back and go straight for the QB, potentially getting beat in the run game or misdirection plays, and instead stay more disciplined at the line of scrimmage and get their hands up knowing they can still be disruptive that way?

Well those guys certainly know football so I would be worried.

I imagine they are, especially against Brady and other veteran QBs who will just get the ball out or throw it away. 

34 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Not to mention when you tack the fact we are TOP TEN in takeaways anyways, onto all the other stats we are dominant in it’s just a dumb argument on anyone’s part. 

Its not flashy. There aren’t a lot of WOW plays. People mistake that for a weakness. 

More likely they’re disregarding the splash plays because they aren’t on sports center. Picking of Brady in the end zone is big, White grabbing two picks in a game, etc. This D is making plays and getting turnovers when the opportunities present themselves... There are just fewer opportunities when your not in shootouts and your forcing 3&outs on 1/3 of the drives. 

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Thing is, take a look at the schedule. How many more times will we actually face a top 15 offense? 3-4? Philly, Dallas, Baltimore, and New England again.

Plus, we were the only team to face the Jets with Darnold. Imagine what we would have done to Luke Falk.

I don't think the Bengals are that bad on offense.

Titans not good, bu very Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.

The D has also played 3 out of the first 5 on the road. Had perhaps their best game against their best competition. 

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Right. A team that’s averaging 30+. Held them to 9. 

If the schedule has helped the bills it’s been even MORE generous for the pats d. 

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. You 2 understand it and literally everyone else just can’t seem to grasp it. That’s seems right. 

Our freaking offense is leeching TO’s to the opposing offense weekly and the defense is giving up 11 a week. That’s dominance. HANDS DOWN. They aren’t allowing other teams to score.

They friggin gave up 9, NINE, points to a patriots team scoring over 30 a game while our offense turned it over 4 times and our punter gave them the ball inside our 50 with a 20 yd punt and you’re saying it’s not elite because of the style in which it was done. 

Thanks goodness for you 2.... the enlightened ones.  

Take a good, hard look at the offensive lines they've faced and tell me you think the DOMINANCE will continue without flipping fields, creating TO's, etc. If they can, that's great. Not quite sure why you're so defensive on the subject, but that's cool; do you. If they continue to perform at this level; yes. They are dominant. I don't believe they have enough playmakers on the DL to be considered DOMINANT. You do. Fair enough. The numbers at the end of the season will tell the full story.

The Bills have a very, very good defense. The debate is very good/dominant. I guess that's better than a garbage/decent semantics war.

10 minutes ago, cd1 said:

For what it is worth...

well I cant stand this dude. but still cool to hear! HAHA.

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Take a good, hard look at the offensive lines they've faced and tell me you think the DOMINANCE will continue without flipping fields, creating TO's, etc. If they can, that's great. Not quite sure why you're so defensive on the subject, but that's cool; do you. If they continue to perform at this level; yes. They are dominant. I don't believe they have enough playmakers on the DL to be considered DOMINANT. You do. Fair enough. The numbers at the end of the season will tell the full story.

The Bills have a very, very good defense. The debate is very good/dominant. I guess that's better than a garbage/decent semantics war.

this is a fair point. but how else are we supposed to judge them? i'm gonna base it off what I've seen. not projections.

just feelin' sassy I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1