Just how dominant is this Buffalo Bills defense?

Beast

This defense is the ultimate example of playing as a team. We all expected them to be good, but not this tight yet. It appears that they are evolving from week to week and finding out about themselves. Throw in a few more disruptive players and we have something really special here...elite!

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You're preaching to the choir, but not enough people grasp the concept. In order to be truly dominant, you've got to be wreaking havoc for the opposing QB which is the most surefire way to create those turnovers. They were definitely in MM's mug all day, but Tennessee's line is bad. We've faced some pretty bad lines. We'll see what happens going forward against teams that can generally protect the QB.

That being said, the defense is really, really, good. 

Right. You 2 understand it and literally everyone else just can’t seem to grasp it. That’s seems right. 

Our freaking offense is leeching TO’s to the opposing offense weekly and the defense is giving up 11 a week. That’s dominance. HANDS DOWN. They aren’t allowing other teams to score.

They friggin gave up 9, NINE, points to a patriots team scoring over 30 a game while our offense turned it over 4 times and our punter gave them the ball inside our 50 with a 20 yd punt and you’re saying it’s not elite because of the style in which it was done. 

Thanks goodness for you 2.... the enlightened ones.  

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Top 3 defense in the league. I do worry about their ability to generate pressure against elite O-lines but I think they have the depth and sending talent to at least be capable against better O-lines. I think this defense will look to add one last big piece in the form of a prime time pass rusher off the edge next off-season unless Shaq really breaks out. But I think they either let Shaq walk or cut Murphy and resign Shaq and go after another elite edge rusher. 

3 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

+ 100

+ 100

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You're preaching to the choir, but not enough people grasp the concept. In order to be truly dominant, you've got to be wreaking havoc for the opposing QB which is the most surefire way to create those turnovers. They were definitely in MM's mug all day, but Tennessee's line is bad. We've faced some pretty bad lines. We'll see what happens going forward against teams that can generally protect the QB.

That being said, the defense is really, really, good. 

Trade for JJ Watt

McD is the real deal as a defensive mind. I can't decide if this defense is better than the 98 defense. I think I would give the edge to the 98 D. Wade Phillips had that Defense dialed in. Sam Cowart was the best mlb in the game then. I thought he was better than Ray Lewis that year. Clements and Winfield on the outside. Bruce and Marcellus Wiley. They played such a physical brand. 

Here was a stat I was interested in. % drives that end in a 3 and out. We’re first with 37.3% and second is the 49ers with 28.3%.  I think this a huge number.In the last 5 years I didn’t see a team above 34%.

This 3 and out rate could be why we don’t have so many gaudy numbers in sacks and turnovers. We force a lot of incompletions and then 3 and outs. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef/2019

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NC Book said:

McD is the real deal as a defensive mind. I can't decide if this defense is better than the 98 defense. I think I would give the edge to the 98 D. Wade Phillips had that Defense dialed in. Sam Cowart was the best mlb in the game then. I thought he was better than Ray Lewis that year. Clements and Winfield on the outside. Bruce and Marcellus Wiley. They played such a physical brand. 

‘99 defense also great.  Love the Sam Cowart mention.  And remember John Holocek?  He was really good for a few years too.

21 minutes ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

Wow that NE defense is amazing. Bills look ok. Think they are over rated

I really hope you didn’t sign up here just to make this ignorant post.

The Bills defense is a bit of a riddle to me. They don’t have a dominant pash rushing DE, nor a dominant run stuffing NT. Their middle linebacker is still feeling his way game to game. And their opposite CB wouldn’t be recognized at a bus stop, even in Buffalo. It’s a shame that ‘no name’ defense is already taken because it really fits this bunch. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As I have posted in other threads, the D has been great. Elite or dominant for me means more turnovers. They are forcing punts but not a lot of turnovers. Turnovers lead to shirt fields and even some defensive scores. Jets game was only competitive because their D scored. 

And I believe the lack of consistent pass rush is the key. If they can get just a few more QB hits and hurries a game, I think you will see a few more strip sacks and INTs. 

The number of batted balls is incredible but that will probably go down as there is some component of luck there. In fact one could argue the Bills have been unlucky to get more than just the Murphy INT on batted passes so far.

Not trying to take away anything they have done. But this offense needs a few more short fields. Short fields and more points early in the game will force the opponent to pass more which will give more opportunities for turnovers.

I disagree with turnover as an assessment of eliteness. The Bills defense two years ago forced a huge number of turnovers. It was a middle of the pack defense. 

The true test of an elite defense is can they make the big stop when they need to. So far this season the answer on this team is yes they can. Whether it has been to limit teams to FG tries after bad turnovers by the offense or stops at the end of the game. The top defenses make those stops. 

Would it be nice to get a few more takeaways? Sure. But they don't need them to be elite. 

5 hours ago, Bmbchiefs66 said:

Good defense. That defense that is giving up 4.5 of the teams 8ppg,  or 27 of the 48 points allowed

17 yards per drive

A 44 qbr agains

13% on 3rd down attempts

And around 0.34 ppd

Thats the best in the league

The Patriots defense is without doubt elite. I believe the two best defenses in the league at the moment to be in the AFC East. I haven't seen another defense that comes all that close. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills defense is a bit of a riddle to me. They don’t have a dominant pash rushing DE, nor a dominant run stuffing NT. Their middle linebacker is still feeling his way game to game. And their opposite CB wouldn’t be recognized at a bus stop, even in Buffalo. It’s a shame that ‘no name’ defense is already taken because it really fits this bunch. 

The middle linebacker has been really, really good. 

They do not have either of the dominant pieces up front that is true. But they have great defensive line depth. They can rotate guys like Phillips, Murphy, Lawson, Johnson and Zo through on the line with very little discernable drop off and it is that depth that has compensated for the lack of those real dominant pieces. 

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As I have posted in other threads, the D has been great. Elite or dominant for me means more turnovers. They are forcing punts but not a lot of turnovers. Turnovers lead to shirt fields and even some defensive scores. Jets game was only competitive because their D scored. 

And I believe the lack of consistent pass rush is the key. If they can get just a few more QB hits and hurries a game, I think you will see a few more strip sacks and INTs. 

The number of batted balls is incredible but that will probably go down as there is some component of luck there. In fact one could argue the Bills have been unlucky to get more than just the Murphy INT on batted passes so far.

Not trying to take away anything they have done. But this offense needs a few more short fields. Short fields and more points early in the game will force the opponent to pass more which will give more opportunities for turnovers.

Putting limits on that is your own problem, it's an artificial constraint.

Elite isn't about how something is done. It's about how well it's done. 

This defense is elite. Third in DVOA, third in yards, fourth in points allowed (more of a team stat than a defensive stat, but it falls in line with the others). Yards per drive, points per drive ... They all tell the same story. They're elite.

So far, at least. It's early. But they look the part. They were very very good last year and they got better.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This defense is elite. Third in DVOA, third in yards, fourth in points allowed (more of a team stat than a defensive stat, but it falls in line with the others). Yards per drive, points per drive ... They all tell the same story. They're elite.

So far, at least. 

3rd in 3rd down % too. 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So far, at least. It's early. But they look the part. They were very very good last year and they got better.

1st in 3 and outs. 2nd in passer rating. 2nd in YPA. And I think if you take out the special team and defensive scores for all teams  it moves them to 2nd in points allowed at 11ppg.... the list is LONG 

there are like 3 posters concerned more about the style in which it’s getting done as opposed to the hard numbers. It’s silly. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Then the answer is to keep the QB in the pocket while the tailback gets collared and cuffed and the wideout gets pressed. :bag: