Just how dominant is this Buffalo Bills defense?

Beast

The Buffalo Bills have given up a total of 70 points.

The Buffalo Bills defense, when on the field NOT after an offensive turnover, have given up 41 points in 56 drives.

The Bills defense is giving up 0.73 points per drive when they are on the field NOT after an offensive turnover. That is an amazing stat!

Then, out of those 41, 8 points came after a free kick when the Bills offense gave up a safety.

We really are witnessing domination.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As I have posted in other threads, the D has been great. Elite or dominant for me means more turnovers. They are forcing punts but not a lot of turnovers. Turnovers lead to shirt fields and even some defensive scores. Jets game was only competitive because their D scored. 

And I believe the lack of consistent pass rush is the key. If they can get just a few more QB hits and hurries a game, I think you will see a few more strip sacks and INTs. 

The number of batted balls is incredible but that will probably go down as there is some component of luck there. In fact one could argue the Bills have been unlucky to get more than just the Murphy INT on batted passes so far.

Not trying to take away anything they have done. But this offense needs a few more short fields. Short fields and more points early in the game will force the opponent to pass more which will give more opportunities for turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So dominant even Chuck Norris sends in Rambo to avoid them himself ? 

Of course but Rambo saw this D then said to himself "The war is over Johnny..."

31 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The Buffalo Bills have given up a total of 70 points.

The Buffalo Bills defense, when on the field NOT after an offensive turnover, have given up 41 points in 56 drives.

The Bills defense is giving up 0.73 points per drive when they are on the field NOT after an offensive turnover. That is an amazing stat!

Then, out of those 41, 8 points came after a free kick when the Bills offense gave up a safety.

We really are witnessing domination.

It's so dominant it is downright sick, nasty, and disgusting...

2 hours ago, ytownblofan said:

According to Cleveland sports radio, they aren't elite at all. They aren't even sure if they are any good. 

I cannot wait til 11/10 when we embarrass that offensive line and Baker gets a dose of what we gave Brady 

I can say the same about Cleveland's starting QB

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

This is a dominant defense.  I think they are a good DE/edge and another DT away from elite.  I mentioned DT because Star has to start doing more than occupying space, even on the 30-40% of the snaps he's on the field.  Everyone should be collapsing the pocket and making the QB uncomfortable.  As of now, they're the strength of the team and have carried them to 4-1 (and nearly 5-0) at the bye.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As I have posted in other threads, the D has been great. Elite or dominant for me means more turnovers. They are forcing punts but not a lot of turnovers. Turnovers lead to shirt fields and even some defensive scores. Jets game was only competitive because their D scored. 

And I believe the lack of consistent pass rush is the key. If they can get just a few more QB hits and hurries a game, I think you will see a few more strip sacks and INTs. 

The number of batted balls is incredible but that will probably go down as there is some component of luck there. In fact one could argue the Bills have been unlucky to get more than just the Murphy INT on batted passes so far.

Not trying to take away anything they have done. But this offense needs a few more short fields. Short fields and more points early in the game will force the opponent to pass more which will give more opportunities for turnovers.

Equal 7th in the league at turnovers and having played a game less than some teams ahead of them.

I don’t have any stats to back this up but yeah, they are really freaking good. Like really good. When an opposing team has the ball I’m confident Buffalo will stop them. I’m not worried about the defense at all. When the offense starts to catch up and I believe they will sooner or later, this team will be scary good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Top 3 defense in the league. I do worry about their ability to generate pressure against elite O-lines but I think they have the depth and sending talent to at least be capable against better O-lines. I think this defense will look to add one last big piece in the form of a prime time pass rusher off the edge next off-season unless Shaq really breaks out. But I think they either let Shaq walk or cut Murphy and resign Shaq and go after another elite edge rusher. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

+ 100

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Top 3 defense in the league. I do worry about their ability to generate pressure against elite O-lines but I think they have the depth and sending talent to at least be capable against better O-lines. I think this defense will look to add one last big piece in the form of a prime time pass rusher off the edge next off-season unless Shaq really breaks out. But I think they either let Shaq walk or cut Murphy and resign Shaq and go after another elite edge rusher. 

+ 100

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You're preaching to the choir, but not enough people grasp the concept. In order to be truly dominant, you've got to be wreaking havoc for the opposing QB which is the most surefire way to create those turnovers. They were definitely in MM's mug all day, but Tennessee's line is bad. We've faced some pretty bad lines. We'll see what happens going forward against teams that can generally protect the QB.

That being said, the defense is really, really, good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ytownblofan said:

According to Cleveland sports radio, they aren't elite at all. They aren't even sure if they are any good. 

I cannot wait til 11/10 when we embarrass that offensive line and Baker gets a dose of what we gave Brady 

I had a friend ask me at the beginning of the season to go to the game in Cleveland that I passed on.  I really want to go to that game now. 

In a word, Very,