Reasons to not feel so bad about Patrick Mahomes

Rigotz

39 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I've never felt bad about Patrick Mahomes.

I wanted the Bills to trade down in the Draft that year. Once they did, I was the loudest and happiest Bills fan in Philadelphia.

GO BILLS!!!

Mahomes was an draft enigma.....plenty were in favor of drafting him because of his collegiate performance(s)......but there were plenty who said "an Air Raid QB NEVER makes it in the NFL" as if he was from a leper colony.....so his draft journey began......Andy gambles and he sits behind Smith for a year.....and in year 2 he lights the world "on fire", and good for him.....wasn't Mariota from a similar spread with differing nuances?....and he has worked out how?......so in year 2, Mahomes defied most odds....as did the 6th round Brady...OR....the 3rd round Montana....yet Whaley FAILED for blowing the Mahomes pick.....um right......needed Windex for his crystal ball I suppose....a few bumps 'n bruises in year 3?...as expected as opposing DC's get acclimated to his game...but he is still exciting to watch IMO.......

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I really don't want this to turn into a Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes thread.

Lets kill that before it happens please.

You started a thread about Patrick Mahomes on a Buffalo Bills fan site.

In the original post, you say, "I found myself extremely aggravated that we didn't pick him at #10 in the 2017 NFL draft."

And you don't want this to turn into a Mahomes vs. Allen thread.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

When Pat Mahomes was lighting the world on fire last year, I found myself extremely aggravated that we didn't pick him at #10 in the 2017 NFL draft.

This year, I've found peace with the idea that he's not on our team and here are the top 10 reasons why:

1. With the first pick in the 2017 draft, the Cleveland Browns (who needed a QB) didn't take Mahomes.

2. With the second pick in the draft, the Chicago Bears TRADED UP to take Mitch Trubisky.

3. With the fourth pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars, who needed a QB, took Leonard Fournette.

4. With the fifth pick in the draft, the Tennessee Titans stuck with Marcus Mariotta and took Corey Davis instead.

5. With the sixth pick in the draft, the Jets (lol), who needed a QB, took Jamal Adams

6. With the 7th pick in the draft, the Chargers took Mike Williams instead of an heir to Phil Rivers.

7. With the 9th pick in the draft, the Bengals picked John Ross instead of Patrick Mahomes.

8. All of these same teams ALSO passed on Deshaun Watson.

9. Yes, we traded down and didn't get Mahomes, but we DID get Tre White and a future first round pick.

10. That future first round pick (combined with others) turned into Josh Allen, who at the very least has more upside at QB than anyone we've had in a long time.

Hope this makes you all feel a little better as well.

I find this sort of rationalization highly irregular.

if you can’t hate the team missing drafting Patrick Mahomes, how can you possibly hate hate josh, the front office, the punter, the linebacker coach, the new free agents, the color rush jerseys, the kick off tee Haushka uses, the one buffalo app... and so on????

i find your lack of outrage.... outrageous ?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I don’t feel bad about missing Mahomes.  If I felt bad about every miss in the draft I would go insane.

Even if I was the type to feel bad I would give the Bills a pass in 2017.   It was time of transition. 

It’s probably time now to start a thread about Tyrod Taylor. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB
  • Like (+1) 1

My wife noticed that I've been moping around a lot and has been encouraging me to start popping Xanax or see a shrink.  

But today I learned that I don't need to feel bad anymore about that 2017 draft.  What a relief!  I've been carrying around deep, dark feelings of disappointment, frustration and failure for the past two years now.  Suddenly, today, I can finally smile again! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Zerovoltz is still around.  Jeffismagic is gone; after the Bills passed on Mahomes, he couldn't take it any more and left after the draft.  I remember the non stop lobbying for Mahomes...just relentless.

He was right.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ahh the eternal regrets of a Bills fan.  Waiting for someone to  mention how we are still reeling from not picking up Buffalo Native Gronk in the 2nd or Brady in the 5th.

Or trading away the pick that would have gotten Rodgers in 2005 for Losman in 2004. Sorry had to round out the trifecta of woulda, coulda, and shoulda!

• Like (+1) 1

Hindsight sure is 2020.

On the old BBMB, I got lambasted for wanting the Bills to take Mahomes at 10. I got destroyed.

A lot of people were VERY VERY skeptical about how good Mahomes was going to be.

I loved Mahomes and I wanted the Bills to take him, but it was the best decision for all parties that Mahomes didn’t become a Bill.

Let’s not forget how many fans of the NFL DIDN’T want their teams to draft Mahomes in the first round.

Mahomes was NEVER a sure thing and that he is now playing his part, Bills fans wanna play the blame game because the Bills didn’t take Mahomes. Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

When Pat Mahomes was lighting the world on fire last year, I found myself extremely aggravated that we didn't pick him at #10 in the 2017 NFL draft.

This year, I've found peace with the idea that he's not on our team and here are the top 10 reasons why:

1. With the first pick in the 2017 draft, the Cleveland Browns (who needed a QB) didn't take Mahomes.

2. With the second pick in the draft, the Chicago Bears TRADED UP to take Mitch Trubisky.

3. With the fourth pick in the draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars, who needed a QB, took Leonard Fournette.

4. With the fifth pick in the draft, the Tennessee Titans stuck with Marcus Mariotta and took Corey Davis instead.

5. With the sixth pick in the draft, the Jets (lol), who needed a QB, took Jamal Adams

6. With the 7th pick in the draft, the Chargers took Mike Williams instead of an heir to Phil Rivers.

7. With the 9th pick in the draft, the Bengals picked John Ross instead of Patrick Mahomes.

8. All of these same teams ALSO passed on Deshaun Watson.

9. Yes, we traded down and didn't get Mahomes, but we DID get Tre White and a future first round pick.

10. That future first round pick (combined with others) turned into Josh Allen, who at the very least has more upside at QB than anyone we've had in a long time.

Hope this makes you all feel a little better as well.

Well if you want to talk about reasons to feel better, this isn’t it.  All you did is highlight other teams mistakes.  Want real reasons to feel a little better about it, then here they are:

Our Elite defense is a direct result of not taking Mahomes. 

1.  Tre White - obviously we gained Tre on the trade down.

2.  We didn’t use the extra first round pick on Allen, we used the extra first round pick on Edmunds.  So we gained Edmunds and we did so in a trade up without having surrender the next years first.  
3. Becaus we already had two first round picks to use on Allen and Edmunds, we were able to trade up to get in position to get both without using our 2019 first rounder.  That 2019 first rounder was then available to use on Ed Oliver.

So not only do we have our own ascending young QB with immense upside still, but we built a top 3 elite defense along the way as well.  Allen isn’t near where Mahomes is, but he also has the potential to be not only a franchise QB, but a high end one for years.  But we also have put Allen in a position where he doesn’t have put this team on his back because we have a young and nasty defense on the other side of the ball.

At the end of the day, the reality is the trade has worked out quite well so far for both Chiefs and Bills.  And to be honest, I like our chances at sustained success right now a lot more than the Chiefs.  That defense is a liability, and they are losing talent thanks to overpaying people like Watkins and have a lot now invested in Hill too.  

Im sure Mahomes would be fun to have here, but honestly I love the way this team is being built a lot more than I do the Chiefs.  And TEAMS win championships a lot more than QBs forced to carry their team to make up for a weak defense.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if you want to talk about reasons to feel better, this isn’t it.  All you did is highlight other teams mistakes.  Want real reasons to feel a little better about it, then here they are:

Our Elite defense is a direct result of not taking Mahomes. 

1.  Tre White - obviously we gained Tre on the trade down.

2.  We didn’t use the extra first round pick on Allen, we used the extra first round pick on Edmunds.  So we gained Edmunds and we did so in a trade up without having surrender the next years first.  
3. Becaus we already had two first round picks to use on Allen and Edmunds, we were able to trade up to get in position to get both without using our 2019 first rounder.  That 2019 first rounder was then available to use on Ed Oliver.

So not only do we have our own ascending young QB with immense upside still, but we built a top 3 elite defense along the way as well.  Allen isn’t near where Mahomes is, but he also has the potential to be not only a franchise QB, but a high end one for years.  But we also have put Allen in a position where he doesn’t have put this team on his back because we have a young and nasty defense on the other side of the ball.

At the end of the day, the reality is the trade has worked out quite well so far for both Chiefs and Bills.  And to be honest, I like our chances at sustained success right now a lot more than the Chiefs.  That defense is a liability, and they are losing talent thanks to overpaying people like Watkins and have a lot now invested in Hill too.  

Im sure Mahomes would be fun to have here, but honestly I love the way this team is being built a lot more than I do the Chiefs.  And TEAMS win championships a lot more than QBs forced to carry their team to make up for a weak defense.   

Hmmm. I don't agree on feeling better about us going forward than the Chiefs. I like where the Bills are at, don't get me wrong, but I think when your team has THE QB of the next decade you feel great about your chances. I agree their defense isn't great defenses don't last more than 3 or 4 years maximum in the NFL. It is much quicker to retool a defense than to find a Quarterback. Proof of the pudding is you go back 3 years the Chiefs were a top 10 defense and had been consistently. They have made some bad moves... I didn't love trading Ford away to spend significantly more on Frank Clark who I have always thought it overrated. But they have a smart GM, a very experienced and capable coach and an outstanding young QB. There are not too many teams in the NFL that wouldn't swap places with Kansas City right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

The way I always look at it, it wasn’t even a thought in our minds on that draft day.  There are always the guys who say “he was my pick!”, and I’m sure a small few are telling the truth, but leading up to the draft, other QBs were being talked about more.

Mahomes was seen almost like Maybin- not a ton of experience, but flew up the boards late.  Some thought he’d drop to the 2nd or even 3rd.  Had we picked him early, it’s more likely that the overall sentiment here would have been negative, at least initially.

A lot of QBs would have gone higher with hindsight.  Or lower.

• Like (+1) 2