Bills are 25th Offensive Points

wagon127

16 hours ago, wagon127 said:

So, I am super excited about the rest of this year, and I believe we can make the playoffs due to the AFC being weak this year, and our dominate Defense. Shouldn't we be very concerned about how little our offense scores? We really need to hope our offense continues to grow between now and the end of this season. There are going to be games the defense can't hold our opponents to under 25 points, and we will need Allen to step it up in the coming weeks.

No because a huge part of that is because of Allen’s turnovers which is a a pretty big number.  Right now he has 8 INT’s in 5 games.  Do you really see him throwing 24-28 if he plays the entire year?  I think at some point, these INT’s, along with fumbles have to go down which should result in more points.  

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Well those same teams were 2nd and 4th in ppg during the regular season.

You’re probably not going to have any kind meaningful and sustained success by being one of the worst scoring teams in the league. 

That is somewhat obvious Bang

Win games, be it 45 - 0 or 6 - 3.  Just Win Baby. 

Worry about the rest in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about being entertained? As a Bills fan they are winning so yes that makes me happy, but if you are just watching the game as a football fan, the games are not that much fun.  

Win or lose it's entertainment. It's just MORE entertaining and enjoyable to watch when they win.

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

That is somewhat obvious Bang

Win games, be it 45 - 0 or 6 - 3.  Just Win Baby. 

Worry about the rest in the playoffs. 

Point being is we aren’t always going to have this easy of a schedule where you can get by winning games by scoring 18ppg. 

7 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Win or lose it's entertainment. It's just MORE entertaining and enjoyable to watch when they win.

It's not that entertaining 17-13 imo.  

Again what was a better game to watch the 13-3 Superbowl or the NFC & AFC Championship games?  

Oh yea and NE had to put up 37 points in that game to make the Superbowl......  KC too were a dear in the Headlights scoring 0 the first half.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Point being is we aren’t always going to have this easy of a schedule where you can get by winning games by scoring 18ppg. 

That is true.   I have said (more or less) that the Bills need to take those big mistakes and turn them into points.

22 PPG isn't that bad and we won't always be facing a top 10 defense.  

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

That is true.   I have said (more or less) that the Bills need to take those big mistakes and turn them into points.

22 PPG isn't that bad and we won't always be facing a top 10 defense.  

Cut down on the turnovers, score more points and we’ll be in business.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

My friend was in Tennessee and has been a season ticket holder driving down for 30 odd years and he commented how boring a game it was.

Your friend was just trying to keep you from being jealous that you aren’t him. 

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

Yep.

And in other "discouraging" news Allen currently leads the league in clutch 4th qtr drives leading to wins.

Last year he was tied for second.

You can't teach clutch performance it is either in the dna or it isn't. There is plenty for Allen to work on, but he does have it in him to take the team down the length of the field to win a game with only seconds left on the clock when needed.

He's really smart in those situations because he knows he has 4 downs and he knows he can run if he needs to. Doesn't take big risks, remains calm, and generally puts points on the board. He can't play an entire game this way because he'd take too many hits, but I feel pretty good about our chances if we just need one score with a few minutes to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I posted this in another thread; however, I think it bears repeating in this thread:

They had 3 drives inside the Jets 40 (2 inside the 30) with no points; 4 drives inside Cincy's 40 (2 inside the 30, 1 inside the 15) with no points; 7 drives into NE territory (4 inside the 40, 2 inside the 25, 1 inside the 10) with no points, and 4 drives inside the TENN 40 (although one was to end the game at the TENN 20) .

That is 18 drives into opponents territory (15 inside the 40, 6 inside the 30) in 5 games with no points. They have moved the ball (12th in YPG), and they are money in the redzone (7th in scoring, 4th in TDs); however, they have had a problem finishing a number of drives in opponent territory outside of the redzone. I have watched every one of those drives and it is not all on Allen. He certainly has been part of it with turnovers, sacks, and bad plays; but, penalties, poor play by the Oline, dropped passes, and turnovers/mistakes by others have played just as big of a role. 

They have done more to stop themselves, from moving the ball consistently and scoring more, than opposing defenses have. Most of the offense has only played 5 NFL games together. I think they will come together more as a team, particularly when Williams and Singletary are fully integrated, the more they play together. If they (Allen in particular) can cut down on turnovers, play more consistent and make fewer critical mistakes, I believe this team could be in the top 10 in both YPG and PPG.

Agreed.   We have missed  Singletary, Kroft and the constant shuffle on the OL.  

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's really smart in those situations because he knows he has 4 downs and he knows he can run if he needs to. Doesn't take big risks, remains calm, and generally puts points on the board. He can't play an entire game this way because he'd take too many hits, but I feel pretty good about our chances if we just need one score with a few minutes to play.

Allen would have scored on that 1st and goal against the Patriots in the 4th quarter

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:37 AM, billsfan1959 said:

I posted this in another thread; however, I think it bears repeating in this thread:

They had 3 drives inside the Jets 40 (2 inside the 30) with no points; 4 drives inside Cincy's 40 (2 inside the 30, 1 inside the 15) with no points; 7 drives into NE territory (4 inside the 40, 2 inside the 25, 1 inside the 10) with no points, and 4 drives inside the TENN 40 (although one was to end the game at the TENN 20) .

That is 18 drives into opponents territory (15 inside the 40, 6 inside the 30) in 5 games with no points. They have moved the ball (12th in YPG), and they are money in the redzone (7th in scoring, 4th in TDs); however, they have had a problem finishing a number of drives in opponent territory outside of the redzone. I have watched every one of those drives and it is not all on Allen. He certainly has been part of it with turnovers, sacks, and bad plays; but, penalties, poor play by the Oline, dropped passes, and turnovers/mistakes by others have played just as big of a role. 

They have done more to stop themselves, from moving the ball consistently and scoring more, than opposing defenses have. Most of the offense has only played 5 NFL games together. I think they will come together more as a team, particularly when Williams and Singletary are fully integrated, the more they play together. If they (Allen in particular) can cut down on turnovers, play more consistent and make fewer critical mistakes, I believe this team could be in the top 10 in both YPG and PPG.

Thanks for doing this work. Given these issues, I think ypg ranking (12) is probably a better indicator (for now) of their "success" on O. As long as Allen can control himself, the points will come. The Bills are also lucky the first half of their schedule is somewhat easier than the second, as the O will need to pull its weight in the 4 games that start with Thanksgiving. 

Stats without context are useless. What should concern us, and the Bills is how they win games. 25th in offensive points? OK. But, we're 12th in net points in the league, and 5th in net points in the AFC. And we're in a six-way tie for second in WINS. Why worry?

On 10/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, Rocky Landing said:

Stats without context are useless. What should concern us, and the Bills is how they win games. 25th in offensive points? OK. But, we're 12th in net points in the league, and 5th in net points in the AFC. And we're in a six-way tie for second in WINS. Why worry?

You could just speak for Daboll.  He made this point to Vic Carruci:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/14/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brian-daboll-nfl-football-news-2019/

(paywall, trial available)

"At the end of the day, whatever we have to do to win," Daboll said Monday. "Look, I'd love to score 60 a game. But if we win, 3-0, or, 7-3, or, 14-10, and we make good decisions with the football and we play good, complementary football, particularly with how our defense is playing, that's fine, too."

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You could just speak for Daboll.  He made this point to Vic Carruci:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/14/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brian-daboll-nfl-football-news-2019/

(paywall, trial available)

"At the end of the day, whatever we have to do to win," Daboll said Monday. "Look, I'd love to score 60 a game. But if we win, 3-0, or, 7-3, or, 14-10, and we make good decisions with the football and we play good, complementary football, particularly with how our defense is playing, that's fine, too."

Wait, why won’t they score 60 and settle for 3?  I’m fine with them trying to score 60.