Bills are 25th Offensive Points

wagon127

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

...and we are 4-1

...and we are 3rd in red zone scoring (TDs)

....and our defense is 3rd overall preventing yards per game

....Josh is 8-1 as a starter when he keeps turnovers to 1 or less.

We are building something here, no one said it was finished yet.

Absolutely...no one said it was finished yet, and it is suddenly moving ahead of schedule!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Points for what?  

I kid, I kid.

The thing is they are moving the ball and they are eating up lots of clock.  The points will come when the turnovers end

I agree, I think we will have a big improvement after the bye. 

Three things

- We need to replace our punter....even though we have one of the best return guys in the league our starting field position gets flipped on us every game it seems

- We have been VERY good int he red zone

- We are still having a lot of penalties on drives......which is forcing punts due to down and distance

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wagon127 said:

So, I am super excited about the rest of this year, and I believe we can make the playoffs due to the AFC being weak this year, and our dominate Defense. Shouldn't we be very concerned about how little our offense scores? We really need to hope our offense continues to grow between now and the end of this season. There are going to be games the defense can't hold our opponents to under 25 points, and we will need Allen to step it up in the coming weeks.

Change your profile pic and then we'll talk

Yup they need to do a better job with this. I believe the main issue is they turn the ball over too much. They put up good yardage numbers, they are in the top half of the league and its not like they are racking it up in garbage time like some of these other teams are where they can pick up a quick 150 yards passing from soft coverages while being down 3 scores.

If they can lower their turnover numbers they should start seeing more points...look at how many of the turnovers have happened on the opponent side of the 50 yard line...

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

So, I am super excited about the rest of this year, and I believe we can make the playoffs due to the AFC being weak this year, and our dominate Defense. Shouldn't we be very concerned about how little our offense scores? We really need to hope our offense continues to grow between now and the end of this season. There are going to be games the defense can't hold our opponents to under 25 points, and we will need Allen to step it up in the coming weeks.

I posted this in another thread; however, I think it bears repeating in this thread:

They had 3 drives inside the Jets 40 (2 inside the 30) with no points; 4 drives inside Cincy's 40 (2 inside the 30, 1 inside the 15) with no points; 7 drives into NE territory (4 inside the 40, 2 inside the 25, 1 inside the 10) with no points, and 4 drives inside the TENN 40 (although one was to end the game at the TENN 20) .

That is 18 drives into opponents territory (15 inside the 40, 6 inside the 30) in 5 games with no points. They have moved the ball (12th in YPG), and they are money in the redzone (7th in scoring, 4th in TDs); however, they have had a problem finishing a number of drives in opponent territory outside of the redzone. I have watched every one of those drives and it is not all on Allen. He certainly has been part of it with turnovers, sacks, and bad plays; but, penalties, poor play by the Oline, dropped passes, and turnovers/mistakes by others have played just as big of a role. 

They have done more to stop themselves, from moving the ball consistently and scoring more, than opposing defenses have. Most of the offense has only played 5 NFL games together. I think they will come together more as a team, particularly when Williams and Singletary are fully integrated, the more they play together. If they (Allen in particular) can cut down on turnovers, play more consistent and make fewer critical mistakes, I believe this team could be in the top 10 in both YPG and PPG.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I posted this in another thread; however, I think it bears repeating in this thread:

They had 3 drives inside the Jets 40 (2 inside the 30) with no points; 4 drives inside Cincy's 40 (2 inside the 30, 1 inside the 15) with no points; 7 drives into NE territory (4 inside the 40, 2 inside the 25, 1 inside the 10) with no points, and 4 drives inside the TENN 40 (although one was to end the game at the TENN 20) .

That is 18 drives into opponents territory (15 inside the 40, 6 inside the 30) in 5 games with no points. They have moved the ball (12th in YPG), and they are money in the redzone (7th in scoring, 4th in TDs); however, they have had a problem finishing a number of drives in opponent territory outside of the redzone. I have watched every one of those drives and it is not all on Allen. He certainly has been part of it with turnovers, sacks, and bad plays; but, penalties, poor play by the Oline, dropped passes, and turnovers/mistakes by others have played just as big of a role. 

They have done more to stop themselves, from moving the ball consistently and scoring more, than opposing defenses have. Most of the offense has only played 5 NFL games together. I think they will come together more as a team, particularly when Williams and Singletary are fully integrated, the more they play together. If they (Allen in particular) can cut down on turnovers, play more consistent and make fewer critical mistakes, I believe this team could be in the top 10 in both YPG and PPG.

Just what I wanted to see; thanks for compiling these numbers. Pretty revealing stuff, and shows this is a glass half full situation that can easily improve. If the Bills were able to come away with just a FG on only  half of those drives inside the opponents 40 and beyond ( not an overly generous result imo) they would jump to 14th in points. That’s right below New Orleans and more than respectable output. This offense can increase their scoring even without major personnel changes. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, wagon127 said:

relax.  It'll be next year, after another draft and FA period, and after Allen's second year, before the offense catches up to the defense in terms of talent and effectiveness.  Still have questions on the O Line and WR, and Allen is obviously still pretty raw.  

For McBeanes, this is all just a process of roster upgrade after roster upgrade.  Will take a full 3 years.   This is year 3.   Next year is the year, IMHO.   This year, just get to 10 wins and get in the tournament again.  they ain't winnin' anything this year.  

at this time last year, you all wanted to fire the whole lot of them..   keep your pants on

Trust the Process.

Edited by ProcessTruster
update
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Three things

- We need to replace our punter....even though The Bills are 4-1.  It hasn't been disastrous thus far. 

- we have one of the best return guys in the league our starting field position gets flipped on us every game it seems

- We have been VERY good int he red zone   True. But how many drives failed to get to the RZ? 

- We are still having a lot of penalties on drives......which is forcing punts due to down and distance   :censored:Refs.

;) a little shade  :D

It's actually 4 but ...  we'll let that slide

9 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

We are also 12th in Total offense... Eventually our ability to move the ball is gonna lead to points

After the next 3 games, the Bills should move closer to the middle in ppg. Philly has a tough defense, especially against the run, but Miami and Washington are putrid. If you think about it, a team like NE is higher in points, but has already played those two teams, plus Pittsburgh, and Darnold-less NJ. The Bills haven't had those luxuries...yet.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Some natural consequences of those failed drives are (1) keeping the defense fresh (2) giving the punter a good chance to pin them deep (hurts the net average) (3) gives the defense more room for error.  Points will eventually follow as they refine their play and it will likely come this year not next.  Be competant now but work toward being something special come January.  Your top 10 prediction is interesting because by the end of the year we could be saying things like "over their last 8 games the Bills have been in the top X of scoring."  

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Zay's fault.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

;) a little shade  :D

It's actually 4 but ...  we'll let that slide

The bills are third in the whole NFL in redzone td %. It’s really not worth trying to argue against our RZ offense.  

They’ve been excellent in the RZ. 

It’s between the 40 and the 20 where it seems we like to shout ourselves in the foot. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They turned it over once against the Titans and scored 14 points.

Once is WAAYY better than 3, 4, 5 or 6.  

:lol:

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The bills are third in the whole NFL in redzone td %. It’s really not worth trying to argue against our RZ offense.  

They’ve been excellent in the RZ. 

It’s between the 40 and the 20 where it seems we like to shout ourselves in the foot. 

I wasn't arguing the RZ efficiency.    My question was:  What % of drives have reached the RZ?