Duke Williams: Excellent video piece by Bleacher Report

Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think he is working hard at it.......sure he had some collegiate days screw ups and a couple of NFL tryouts that went nowhere......so instead of throwing in the towel, he went North to work on his craft, attitude and maturity.....McBeane said in an interview, "the Duke Williams signing made drafting a WR early not a top priority".....translation Duke: you have been handed the opportunity of a lifetime.....do NOT blow it.....

Williams hard work exemplifies what McDermott is trying to teach. He is the perfect person/player in this system. When you get enough guys following this model, whether they are stars or marginal players it becomes contagious and teams are born. Over time, this stuff sells itself.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I think he could end up being a fan favorite if he works hard, plays hard and becomes a contributing member to the Buffalo community. I am loving this kid more and more I learn about him

The chants of “Duuuuuuke” in Nashville told me that he already is a fan favourite. He works hard and plays hard as he is a man who made it, but is never going backwards.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The salt shaker I have about this is it's a 2016 video, the season of Duke's Auburn dismissal and draft fall, including praise quotes from a pro-day trainer Duke worked with and good words from Duke about how he wants to put it in the past and give his all.  By Duke's own words recently, he was demoralized after his Auburn dismissal and didn't work very hard to train for his pro day or when he was an UDFA, and he still needed a wake-up call from the QB when he signed in the CFL.

I wish Duke the best, for his own sake and for the Bills, but the video seems a bit hype-y with that in mind.  Hopefully it is genuinely "all in the past" now and the "attitude of gratitude" and work ethic he has expressed recently/evident liking of all his teammates on the Bills, will be a lasting thing.

Hopefully 4 catches for 29 yds is just the beginning.

I think the opposite.  He’s come so much further than even where he was back when this happened.  I think this piece even further strengthens the belief in him because of that.

But I get your side, you’ve been vocal on not being a believer previously and one of the more reluctant ones to buy in on him even now.  And there is nothing wrong with that, but just saying you’re going to look for reasons to support some of the still lingering skepticisms.  

It’s one game, so it’s fair to have some lingering skepticism or just not being totally sold on him yet.  So not knocking you for that, just pointing out you’re viewing the video with those type eyes versus someone who is more excited/optimistic at this stage about what they have seen and his potential.  So of course you’re going to try and find some “salt” as you put it.  But I think in this case, the video actually furthers my confidence in him being a positive factor for this team moving forward because everything we have seen and heard about him since being in Buffalo not only displays what he is saying in this video, but exceeds it in terms of his change, dedication, commitment, work ethic, etc.

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Williams hard work exemplifies what McDermott is trying to teach. He is the perfect person/player in this system. 

...damn good point bud....wouldn't surprise me one bit if he became a vociferous "locker room leader"....stay tuned..................

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The chants of “Duuuuuuke” in Nashville told me that he already is a fan favourite. He works hard and plays hard as he is a man who made it, but is never going backwards.

...sure as hell has to put some "bounce in his step"....Bills fans love to embrace a hard worker/gamer.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The salt shaker I have about this is it's a 2016 video, the season of Duke's Auburn dismissal and draft fall, including praise quotes from a pro-day trainer Duke worked with and good words from Duke about how he wants to put it in the past and give his all.  By Duke's own words recently, he was demoralized after his Auburn dismissal and didn't work very hard to train for his pro day or when he was an UDFA, and he still needed a wake-up call from the QB when he signed in the CFL.

I wish Duke the best, for his own sake and for the Bills, but the video seems a bit hype-y with that in mind.  Hopefully it is genuinely "all in the past" now and the "attitude of gratitude" and work ethic he has expressed recently/evident liking of all his teammates on the Bills, will be a lasting thing.

Hopefully 4 catches for 29 yds is just the beginning.

Hap 

If be more inclined to agree with you if I hadn't heard Lee Smith, Josh Allen and Matt Barkley  all say jea a special guy. 

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn good point bud....wouldn't surprise me one bit if he became a vociferous "locker room leader"....stay tuned..................

...sure as hell has to put some "bounce in his step"....Bills fans love to embrace a hard worker/gamer.....:thumbsup:

I believe that leadership is in his dna. His recent ascent from the practice squad reinforces it. Even if he were not to become a pro bowl calibre player, his work ethic and drive are still inspiring enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The chants of “Duuuuuuke” in Nashville told me that he already is a fan favourite. 

I was particularly loud in those chants as I knew of his backstory. Continuing to work hard on the PS till he got the call is the type of dedication that can be embraced by the Bills faithful. He is a special talent & great size for a WR...I am anticipating a lot more with his new found focus.

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Info said:

I was particularly loud in those chants as I knew of his backstory. Continuing to work hard on the PS till he got the call is the type of dedication that can be embraced by the Bills faithful. He is a special talent & great size for a WR...I am anticipating a lot more with his new found focus.

The guy behind me was really loud. You weren’t up in 343 were you?

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Hap 

If be more inclined to agree with you if I hadn't heard Lee Smith, Josh Allen and Matt Barkley  all say jea a special guy. 

I'm not sure y'all understand my point so hard to agree or disagree with me.

I too have heard the clear and unambiguous support Duke has from his teammates.  I forget who said it "everyone loves Duke.  There's not a man on this team who doesn't" or words to that effect.  It's clear he has his teammates in his corner wanting him to succeed and pulling for him to succeed.

My point is that's a pre-2016-draft hype video cut for a guy whose agents were running a PR campaign to help him overcome his dismissal from Auburn.  The pro day trainer was hyping Duke up.   That's not to say that Duke can't have grown into the hype, but it was hype.

Support from Lee Smith, Josh Allen, and Matt Barkley today doesn't alter the fact of the case that at the time that video was cut, Duke has since said he was at a low point, under-trained, out of shape, and not really motivated. It's hype.

The part on his background and where he came from is deeply moving.  How hard it is for these kids to break free.

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

We also traded away his family which is a good thing.  I think California will suit Zay better.

California will SUIT Zay better?  As in...BIRTHDAY suit Zay better?  I see what you did there!

(his naked and bloody arrest took place in LA)

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

California will SUIT Zay better?  As in...BIRTHDAY suit Zay better?  I see what you did there!

(his naked and bloody arrest took place in LA)

I was thinking of Hollywood and all the fake starlets. 

I am a big Piers Anthony Xanth series fan and if I was going to make a pun on it, it would be a better one.

When future free agents consider the Bills, they will see how much the Bills have to offer and how we are a place where the fans are insanely loyal and loud, our management and coaching staff are phenomenal, the players support each other, we give good people second chances so long as you don't bring the circus to town, and WE WIN. 

We used to bring in guys like Larry Centers, Takeo Spikes, Ted Washington, and Sam Adams.

Now we have guys like John Brown and Cole Beasley doing what they do best and at 4-1, we're going to be flush with cap cash and ready to take over the AFC East.

Duke is now going to be a part of the Bills renaissance. WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU RATHER BE??? DUUUUUUUUKKKEEEE!!!!!!!!

God, it's great to be a Bills fan after watching a story like this and seeing the redemption.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's gonna be really good for the bills. I think McDermott may have dodged a bullet that he didn't get picked up by another team after they cut him. I can only imagine if the Patriots picked him up and he was scoring touchdowns for the Patriots 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:13 AM, StHustle said:

Him turning to God is what really saved him. Some won't understand that but I'm a product of it myself. Duke is officially my new favorite Bill.

Would it make a difference if turned to Buddhism or became an agnostic. The guy turned his life around at this point, so it seems. I am rooting like hell for him. Keep your belief in the appropriate section