Zac Taylor on A.J. Green: 'We are not trading that guy'

Wide outs are a bit more difficult to get accilimated to an offense, especially in the middle of the season with a developing QB.

Id like to have AJ Green as much as the next person, but I do not think its really worth it, unless you absolutely know he's 1. A good lockerroom dude. 2. Wants and will resign.

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Wide outs are a bit more difficult to get accilimated to an offense, especially in the middle of the season with a developing QB.

Id like to have AJ Green as much as the next person, but I do not think its really worth it, unless you absolutely know he's 1. A good lockerroom dude. 2. Wants and will resign.

It's been reported the the FO feels this is the year to take a step and next year is when they expect to contend for the super bowl.  AJ Green is the type of receiver, IMO, that fits nicely in that philosophy.  

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Green is well liked in the locker room and by all accounts a good dude. So he checks and fits that process box. However he is still injured and out for anywhere from another 3-6 more weeks if not longer. The trade deadline is 3 weeks away. I am not trading for a player who likely will not have played before I trade for him. 

As good as Green is even on the decline I am not so sure I am giving up even a 3rd round pick for a player that I have not seen play for the season. I would rather take a chance on Emmanuel Sanders or another veteran who might not be as talented as AJ Green but I know will be suited up to play right after I trade for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I see, good to know...

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

18 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

7 time pro bowler or a guy off the practice squad with 1 career td. hmmmm.... Bills fans are funny. ? 

The coach has no control over whether a guy is staying or going(Owner/front office have final say). but his statement most likely means they aren't letting Green walk for peanuts. Rumors are that they want a first, which I would prob pass on and grab a stud in the draft. There is a lot of risk of giving up a 1st and him getting injured again or walking at end of season.

and he's still injured ... Again.

and McDermott has plenty of say they work as a team, Beane doesn't make moves without consulting McD.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, ScottLaw said:

Gotta spend the money some where.

Bills have holes at pass rusher, WR, and Tackle. Good thing next years FA class includes some good players at pass rusher and WR. Think your wrong here.... Beanes guna have to make a big move eventually. Can't just sit on the money.

Not sure what fans have against trading a 3rd rounder(which is what it will take IMO) for a low risk, big reward WR in Green does to hurt the team going forward but carry on. 

No, you don't have to spend the money somewhere. If it's unspent, it's rolled over and added to our money next year.

When they do spend it, they'll do it the way they've done everything so far ... according to their plan And they've made it very very clear what that plan is.

It's long-term not short term. It's for consistency, not getting better this year. It's fiscally conservative. It doesn't include going after the higher level expensive FAs, and particularly not the older ones. It welcomes players who are available to play (and Green's last four years games played of 9, 16, 10 and oh-for-five so far this year show he's not available, which is the tendency of older guys anyway). They had $90 mill this year to throw at glittering objects and they didn't, they stuck to the plan. Expect that to continue.

And all of those point to the fact that Green simply isn't the kind of guy who fits their plan. And their plan is NFL best practice.

It's unlikely.

They do need to raise the quality at WR. We'll probably see them do that next year, in ways that fit their plan.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes so does Josh Gordon, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham Jr, Amari Cooper...

Amari Cooper, maybe. Mack and Cooper went in a drastic rebuild. Which Cincy might do. I could see them trading him. I think it's very unlikely we'll see the Bills be the team to do that.

As for the others you mention, they were traded because they didn't fit the process, which isn't only a Buffalo phenomena. Also, how many of those guys were 31 years old as Green is. The Bills did kick the tires on Brown. Would they have paid what it would have taken? Hard to say, but he is younger and more talented, and there used to be an argument that he had acted out only to get out of Pittsburgh, though that's now been shown not to be so.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Last I looked they brought in the most FAs of any team and spent close to $70 million.?

I dont expect them to do that again because they don't need to.... but I think you'll see them bring in one of the better FAs at WR or pass rusher or both, because it's a big need and they have the money. They'd be silly not to.

I don't really understand your point that it's long term and not short term.... what about the trade for Green would imply they aren't trying to build a long term winner? I'd imagine they'd be giving up a 3rd at most for a 7-8 game rental.... how is that jeopardizing their long term future? 

Like I said, it would be a minimal risk with great reward type of trade.

I am struggling to see how trading a 3rd round pick for an old, banged up WR who might play, at most, half of a season, is any kind of reward.

I'm all for taking risks.  But I look at a 3rd round pick as a player who easily makes the 53-man roster and starts in his rookie season - regardless of position.  I don't see how anyone can think that the 2019 Bills trading a player like that for a player like AJ Green is a good idea.

I think we can all agree that this team would benefit from a stud receiver.  But we're not talking about a healthy, proven (this season; not historically), stud WR who will undoubtedly have an immediate positive impact on the offense.  We're talking about AJ Green, who hasn't caught a pass this season.

And to give up a 3rd round pick for that?  That is absolutely jeopardizing their long-term future, IMO.

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am struggling to see how trading a 3rd round pick for an old, banged up WR who might play, at most, half of a season, is any kind of reward.

I'm all for taking risks.  But I look at a 3rd round pick as a player who easily makes the 53-man roster and starts in his rookie season - regardless of position.  I don't see how anyone can think that the 2019 Bills trading a player like that for a player like AJ Green is a good idea.

I think we can all agree that this team would benefit from a stud receiver.  But we're not talking about a healthy, proven (this season; not historically), stud WR who will undoubtedly have an immediate positive impact on the offense.  We're talking about AJ Green, who hasn't caught a pass this season.

And to give up a 3rd round pick for that?  That is absolutely jeopardizing their long-term future, IMO.

Serious question, who has a better chance of producing the rest of the season and in the future, A.J. Green or that 3rd round pick? 

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Serious question, who has a better chance of producing the rest of the season and in the future, A.J. Green or that 3rd round pick? 

Unless the 3rd round pick has been sidelined all season with a bad ankle, I'd go with the 3rd round pick.

If the Bills were "a WR away," from going to the Super Bowl, this might be a wise risk.  But let's face it ... they're not.  I think getting another WR would be a great idea.  But trading a 3rd round pick for a half-season rental, for the 2019 Bills, simply doesn't make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Unless the 3rd round pick has been sidelined all season with a bad ankle, I'd go with the 3rd round pick.

If the Bills were "a WR away," from going to the Super Bowl, this might be a wise risk.  But let's face it ... they're not.  I think getting another WR would be a great idea.  But trading a 3rd round pick for a half-season rental, for the 2019 Bills, simply doesn't make sense to me.

Fair enough. I believe that an All Pro coming off an injury is much more likely to produce than the 3rd rounder, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure an analysis of the numbers would show this as well. Anyway, we differ on this one, I think we are closer than you think.

45 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Fair enough. I believe that an All Pro coming off an injury is much more likely to produce than the 3rd rounder, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure an analysis of the numbers would show this as well. Anyway, we differ on this one, I think we are closer than you think.

I think we are, too, and I appreciate the mature dialogue (hard to come by, these days).

• Like (+1) 2

This is just coach speak to me. If the right offer comes along, they will trade him. What's he supposed to say? "You're all right, we're gonna start fielding offers for our all pro WR right now. Everyone, have at it". No, almost all coaches say the same thing. Some players get traded and some don't but I believe it will come down to what other teams are offering

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Amari Cooper, maybe. Mack and Cooper went in a drastic rebuild. Which Cincy might do. I could see them trading him. I think it's very unlikely we'll see the Bills be the team to do that.

As for the others you mention, they were traded because they didn't fit the process, which isn't only a Buffalo phenomena. Also, how many of those guys were 31 years old as Green is. The Bills did kick the tires on Brown. Would they have paid what it would have taken? Hard to say, but he is younger and more talented, and there used to be an argument that he had acted out only to get out of Pittsburgh, though that's now been shown not to be so.

The reasons for their trades aren't relevant to me, I was responding to a guy who was responding to a guy who said all-pro caliber players don't come up for trade often. I added some names specific at wideout. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think we are, too, and I appreciate the mature dialogue (hard to come by, these days).

I get the age, injury concerns. On the other hand and I'll use Zay Jones by way of example. Buffalo spent 3 years on a 2nd round draft choice that never panned out to trade him for a 5th. Jones is not an exception to the rule. Even 1st round WR's are more miss then hit. When A J Green is healthy there is no miss and is still playing at the same elite level as he was throughout his career. Something I illustrated in an earlier post. By all accounts Green is a solid, hard practicing, hard working teamate with a good reputation on and off the field. A J Green instantly opens up Brown for even more catches. Demanding extra attention Green opens up the whole Offense.I get where you are coming from Gu. I'm sure many feel the way that you do and have done a good job explaing why.

Something to consider is will a 3rd draft pick from the next draft help Buffalo this season. 

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I get the age, injury concerns. On the other hand and I'll use Zay Jones by way of example. Buffalo spent 3 years on a 2nd round draft choice that never panned out to trade him for a 5th. Jones is not an exception to the rule. Even 1st round WR's are more miss then hit. When A J Green is healthy there is no miss and is still playing at the same elite level as he was throughout his career. Something I illustrated in an earlier post. By all accounts Green is a solid, hard practicing, hard working teamate with a good reputation on and off the field. A J Green instantly opens up Brown for even more catches. Demanding extra attention Green opens up the whole Offense.I get where you are coming from Gu. I'm sure many feel the way that you do and have done a good job explaing why.

Something to consider is will a 3rd draft pick from the next draft help Buffalo this season. 

Singletary and Ford were 3rd round draft picks.

Yes ... Ford is a work in progress, but he's out there on most snaps.  Singletary has already proven himself to be an integral part of our offense.

AJ Green's ankle might hold up for the 7-8 games we'd have him for.

I'm still keeping the 3rd round pick without one millisecond of hesitation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Singletary and Ford were 3rd round draft picks.

Yes ... Ford is a work in progress, but he's out there on most snaps.  Singletary has already proven himself to be an integral part of our offense.

AJ Green's ankle might hold up for the 7-8 games we'd have him for.

I'm still keeping the 3rd round pick without one millisecond of hesitation.

3rd round draft choices can absolutely have an imediate impact on a football team. I don't mean to down play the value of a 3rd with a good GM. Singletary and Ford are great examples IMO. WR position is a whole different beast Gu.

Do you remember what it was like having Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Thurman Thomas running the football. Almost impossible to stop right? A J Green by way of example could be the New Era Lofton.

I'm just saying...