Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Zac Taylor on A.J. Green: 'We are not trading that guy'

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

I am struggling to see how trading a 3rd round pick for an old, banged up WR who might play, at most, half of a season, is any kind of reward.

 

I'm all for taking risks.  But I look at a 3rd round pick as a player who easily makes the 53-man roster and starts in his rookie season - regardless of position.  I don't see how anyone can think that the 2019 Bills trading a player like that for a player like AJ Green is a good idea.

 

I think we can all agree that this team would benefit from a stud receiver.  But we're not talking about a healthy, proven (this season; not historically), stud WR who will undoubtedly have an immediate positive impact on the offense.  We're talking about AJ Green, who hasn't caught a pass this season.

 

And to give up a 3rd round pick for that?  That is absolutely jeopardizing their long-term future, IMO.

 

Serious question, who has a better chance of producing the rest of the season and in the future, A.J. Green or that 3rd round pick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Serious question, who has a better chance of producing the rest of the season and in the future, A.J. Green or that 3rd round pick? 

 

Unless the 3rd round pick has been sidelined all season with a bad ankle, I'd go with the 3rd round pick.

 

If the Bills were "a WR away," from going to the Super Bowl, this might be a wise risk.  But let's face it ... they're not.  I think getting another WR would be a great idea.  But trading a 3rd round pick for a half-season rental, for the 2019 Bills, simply doesn't make sense to me.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

Unless the 3rd round pick has been sidelined all season with a bad ankle, I'd go with the 3rd round pick.

 

If the Bills were "a WR away," from going to the Super Bowl, this might be a wise risk.  But let's face it ... they're not.  I think getting another WR would be a great idea.  But trading a 3rd round pick for a half-season rental, for the 2019 Bills, simply doesn't make sense to me.

 

Fair enough. I believe that an All Pro coming off an injury is much more likely to produce than the 3rd rounder, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure an analysis of the numbers would show this as well. Anyway, we differ on this one, I think we are closer than you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Fair enough. I believe that an All Pro coming off an injury is much more likely to produce than the 3rd rounder, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure an analysis of the numbers would show this as well. Anyway, we differ on this one, I think we are closer than you think.

 

I think we are, too, and I appreciate the mature dialogue (hard to come by, these days).

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just coach speak to me. If the right offer comes along, they will trade him. What's he supposed to say? "You're all right, we're gonna start fielding offers for our all pro WR right now. Everyone, have at it". No, almost all coaches say the same thing. Some players get traded and some don't but I believe it will come down to what other teams are offering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

Amari Cooper, maybe. Mack and Cooper went in a drastic rebuild. Which Cincy might do. I could see them trading him. I think it's very unlikely we'll see the Bills be the team to do that.

 

As for the others you mention, they were traded because they didn't fit the process, which isn't only a Buffalo phenomena. Also, how many of those guys were 31 years old as Green is. The Bills did kick the tires on Brown. Would they have paid what it would have taken? Hard to say, but he is younger and more talented, and there used to be an argument that he had acted out only to get out of Pittsburgh, though that's now been shown not to be so.

 

The reasons for their trades aren't relevant to me, I was responding to a guy who was responding to a guy who said all-pro caliber players don't come up for trade often. I added some names specific at wideout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gugny said:

 

I think we are, too, and I appreciate the mature dialogue (hard to come by, these days).

 

 

I get the age, injury concerns. On the other hand and I'll use Zay Jones by way of example. Buffalo spent 3 years on a 2nd round draft choice that never panned out to trade him for a 5th. Jones is not an exception to the rule. Even 1st round WR's are more miss then hit. When A J Green is healthy there is no miss and is still playing at the same elite level as he was throughout his career. Something I illustrated in an earlier post. By all accounts Green is a solid, hard practicing, hard working teamate with a good reputation on and off the field. A J Green instantly opens up Brown for even more catches. Demanding extra attention Green opens up the whole Offense.I get where you are coming from Gu. I'm sure many feel the way that you do and have done a good job explaing why.

 

Something to consider is will a 3rd draft pick from the next draft help Buffalo this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I get the age, injury concerns. On the other hand and I'll use Zay Jones by way of example. Buffalo spent 3 years on a 2nd round draft choice that never panned out to trade him for a 5th. Jones is not an exception to the rule. Even 1st round WR's are more miss then hit. When A J Green is healthy there is no miss and is still playing at the same elite level as he was throughout his career. Something I illustrated in an earlier post. By all accounts Green is a solid, hard practicing, hard working teamate with a good reputation on and off the field. A J Green instantly opens up Brown for even more catches. Demanding extra attention Green opens up the whole Offense.I get where you are coming from Gu. I'm sure many feel the way that you do and have done a good job explaing why.

 

Something to consider is will a 3rd draft pick from the next draft help Buffalo this season. 

 

Singletary and Ford were 3rd round draft picks.

 

Yes ... Ford is a work in progress, but he's out there on most snaps.  Singletary has already proven himself to be an integral part of our offense.

 

AJ Green's ankle might hold up for the 7-8 games we'd have him for.

 

I'm still keeping the 3rd round pick without one millisecond of hesitation.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gugny said:

 

Singletary and Ford were 3rd round draft picks.

 

Yes ... Ford is a work in progress, but he's out there on most snaps.  Singletary has already proven himself to be an integral part of our offense.

 

AJ Green's ankle might hold up for the 7-8 games we'd have him for.

 

I'm still keeping the 3rd round pick without one millisecond of hesitation.

3rd round draft choices can absolutely have an imediate impact on a football team. I don't mean to down play the value of a 3rd with a good GM. Singletary and Ford are great examples IMO. WR position is a whole different beast Gu.

 

Do you remember what it was like having Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Thurman Thomas running the football. Almost impossible to stop right? A J Green by way of example could be the New Era Lofton.

 

I'm just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Figster said:

3rd round draft choices can absolutely have an imediate impact on a football team. I don't mean to down play the value of a 3rd with a good GM. Singletary and Ford are great examples IMO. WR position is a whole different beast Gu.

 

Do you remember what it was like having Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Thurman Thomas running the football. Almost impossible to stop right? A J Green by way of example could be the New Era Lofton.

 

I'm just saying...

 

Then why haven't the Bengals done anything for his entire career?  A bunch of one and dones ... that's it.

 

Green played a half-season last year and that's the most he'll play this year.  That's not worth a 3rd round pick.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Is Kupp elite? Is McCaffrey elite? Is Kuechly? Everybody seems to think they aren't future Hall of Famers except me... Elite players usually end up in the HoF. Now that McCafe has exploded this season everybody will be trying to lick his jockstrap with me, but I remember a great amount of disconcern with him being drafted high. I remember disconcern about his race even, which I know nobody will admit. 

 

Point is if almost everybody won't admit to these players being elite then why the laughing when I suggest a trade for them.

 

I've heard everything from Kuechly is white to he is finished from concussions... well shouldn't we be getting him for a conditional 7th? Exactly, everybody thinks I'm psychotic when I jest(but would cream my shorts) about a trade for said players but I'm just echoing the sentiment of the masses technically, because they believe said players aren't worth a damn. 

 

Remember, I am speaking in generalities, so to those that agree, I love you:wub:

I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

 

No, you don't have to spend the money somewhere. If it's unspent, it's rolled over and added to our money next year.

 

When they do spend it, they'll do it the way they've done everything so far ... according to their plan And they've made it very very clear what that plan is.

 

It's long-term not short term. It's for consistency, not getting better this year.

Except for when they traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin because they realized they might be able to compete in 2017.

 

Good GM's are willing to bend their macro approach to suit a micro situation. The time to win has become now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

I am struggling to see how trading a 3rd round pick for an old, banged up WR who might play, at most, half of a season, is any kind of reward.

 

I'm all for taking risks.  But I look at a 3rd round pick as a player who easily makes the 53-man roster and starts in his rookie season - regardless of position.  I don't see how anyone can think that the 2019 Bills trading a player like that for a player like AJ Green is a good idea.

 

I think we can all agree that this team would benefit from a stud receiver.  But we're not talking about a healthy, proven (this season; not historically), stud WR who will undoubtedly have an immediate positive impact on the offense.  We're talking about AJ Green, who hasn't caught a pass this season.

 

And to give up a 3rd round pick for that?  That is absolutely jeopardizing their long-term future, IMO.

 

 

Agreed. Consider too that it won’t be a 3rd rounder, in all likelihood. I think a team will offer a late 1st rounder for Green (which is nuts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

Then why haven't the Bengals done anything for his entire career?  A bunch of one and dones ... that's it.

 

Green played a half-season last year and that's the most he'll play this year.  That's not worth a 3rd round pick.

I think thats a question the Bengals ownership, GM and Coaching staff need to answer Gu. Perhaps they should trade Green. One elite player does not make a good football team. What did Sammy Watkins do for Buffalo?  What can Watkins do for KC?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

 

Agreed. Consider too that it won’t be a 3rd rounder, in all likelihood. I think a team will offer a late 1st rounder for Green (which is nuts).

I'm thinking a 2 to top the 3's,  but its possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

Singletary and Ford were 3rd round draft picks.

 

Yes ... Ford is a work in progress, but he's out there on most snaps.  Singletary has already proven himself to be an integral part of our offense.

 

AJ Green's ankle might hold up for the 7-8 games we'd have him for.

 

I'm still keeping the 3rd round pick without one millisecond of hesitation.

Ford was a 2nd round pick and he's been awful.😅

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottLaw said:

Ford was a 2nd round pick and he's been awful.😅

Thanks for the correction.

 

I like Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford was a 2nd round pick and he's been awful.😅

 

Whoops.   I stand corrected, thank you.

 

That said, Singletary and Knox ... both 3rd rounders ... both starting/contributing out of the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't get it.

Some people have said these players weren't going to be servicable predraft, I claimed Kuechly and McCafe would be future Hall of Famers... Kupp has an outside shot if he wins a few Super Bowls and stays healthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Some people have said these players weren't going to be servicable predraft, I claimed Kuechly and McCafe would be future Hall of Famers... Kupp has an outside shot if he wins a few Super Bowls and stays healthy

I still don't get it, but I do want to go to McDonald's now and get some coffee. Thanks for clarifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...