Zac Taylor on A.J. Green: 'We are not trading that guy'

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

3rd round draft choices can absolutely have an imediate impact on a football team. I don't mean to down play the value of a 3rd with a good GM. Singletary and Ford are great examples IMO. WR position is a whole different beast Gu.

Do you remember what it was like having Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Thurman Thomas running the football. Almost impossible to stop right? A J Green by way of example could be the New Era Lofton.

I'm just saying...

Then why haven't the Bengals done anything for his entire career?  A bunch of one and dones ... that's it.

Green played a half-season last year and that's the most he'll play this year.  That's not worth a 3rd round pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Is Kupp elite? Is McCaffrey elite? Is Kuechly? Everybody seems to think they aren't future Hall of Famers except me... Elite players usually end up in the HoF. Now that McCafe has exploded this season everybody will be trying to lick his jockstrap with me, but I remember a great amount of disconcern with him being drafted high. I remember disconcern about his race even, which I know nobody will admit. 

Point is if almost everybody won't admit to these players being elite then why the laughing when I suggest a trade for them.

I've heard everything from Kuechly is white to he is finished from concussions... well shouldn't we be getting him for a conditional 7th? Exactly, everybody thinks I'm psychotic when I jest(but would cream my shorts) about a trade for said players but I'm just echoing the sentiment of the masses technically, because they believe said players aren't worth a damn. 

Remember, I am speaking in generalities, so to those that agree, I love you:wub:

I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, you don't have to spend the money somewhere. If it's unspent, it's rolled over and added to our money next year.

When they do spend it, they'll do it the way they've done everything so far ... according to their plan And they've made it very very clear what that plan is.

It's long-term not short term. It's for consistency, not getting better this year.

Except for when they traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin because they realized they might be able to compete in 2017.

Good GM's are willing to bend their macro approach to suit a micro situation. The time to win has become now.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I am struggling to see how trading a 3rd round pick for an old, banged up WR who might play, at most, half of a season, is any kind of reward.

I'm all for taking risks.  But I look at a 3rd round pick as a player who easily makes the 53-man roster and starts in his rookie season - regardless of position.  I don't see how anyone can think that the 2019 Bills trading a player like that for a player like AJ Green is a good idea.

I think we can all agree that this team would benefit from a stud receiver.  But we're not talking about a healthy, proven (this season; not historically), stud WR who will undoubtedly have an immediate positive impact on the offense.  We're talking about AJ Green, who hasn't caught a pass this season.

And to give up a 3rd round pick for that?  That is absolutely jeopardizing their long-term future, IMO.

Agreed. Consider too that it won’t be a 3rd rounder, in all likelihood. I think a team will offer a late 1st rounder for Green (which is nuts).

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Then why haven't the Bengals done anything for his entire career?  A bunch of one and dones ... that's it.

Green played a half-season last year and that's the most he'll play this year.  That's not worth a 3rd round pick.

I think thats a question the Bengals ownership, GM and Coaching staff need to answer Gu. Perhaps they should trade Green. One elite player does not make a good football team. What did Sammy Watkins do for Buffalo?  What can Watkins do for KC?

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Agreed. Consider too that it won’t be a 3rd rounder, in all likelihood. I think a team will offer a late 1st rounder for Green (which is nuts).

I'm thinking a 2 to top the 3's,  but its possible.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Ford was a 2nd round pick and he's been awful.?

Whoops.   I stand corrected, thank you.

That said, Singletary and Knox ... both 3rd rounders ... both starting/contributing out of the gate.

5 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Some people have said these players weren't going to be servicable predraft, I claimed Kuechly and McCafe would be future Hall of Famers... Kupp has an outside shot if he wins a few Super Bowls and stays healthy

I still don't get it, but I do want to go to McDonald's now and get some coffee. Thanks for clarifying.