Zac Taylor on A.J. Green: 'We are not trading that guy'

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Whatever, not interested in old broke down guys.

we'll be just fine with Duke.

7 time pro bowler or a guy off the practice squad with 1 career td. hmmmm.... Bills fans are funny. ? 

The coach has no control over whether a guy is staying or going(Owner/front office have final say). but his statement most likely means they aren't letting Green walk for peanuts. Rumors are that they want a first, which I would prob pass on and grab a stud in the draft. There is a lot of risk of giving up a 1st and him getting injured again or walking at end of season.

16 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

I kind of hope he stays in Cincinnati. Same thing with Larry Fitzgerald I think some guys are just icons to that City.

I think it would be kind of strange for Larry Fitzgerald to stay in Cincinnati.

16 hours ago, MJS said:

This is why I always ask the question in "trade for THIS guy" posts: "Why do you think THIS guy is available?"

Everyone wants to trade for elite players, but elite players are almost never up for trade.

Because people assume teams will act rationally.

A 31 year old WR coming off injury in a walk year on a 0-5 team seems like a really logical guy to flip for draft picks.  Well run teams would recognize that.  Cincinnati is neither a rational nor well run team.

16 hours ago, MJS said:

This is why I always ask the question in "trade for THIS guy" posts: "Why do you think THIS guy is available?"

Everyone wants to trade for elite players, but elite players are almost never up for trade.

Everyone is available when the right proposal is made....How many times has a team said they are Not trading a guy and a few weeks later that player is traded....?

17 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The Vikings also said they weren’t trading randy moss then proceeded to trade him within 24 hours.....

Schefter did a local radio spot here last week and basically laid out the lifecycle of a trade.  Teams float guys for trade, eventually rumors leak out, teams publicly say they would never think about trading a guy, then offers get better and a deal gets done.  I take AJ Green coming out this week and saying "I'm good with wherever I end up" way more meaningful than Zach Taylor saying they would never trade him.

Looking at the timeline.  We've had rumors of AJ Green being available going back to last season.  This week he says he's good wherever he ends up.  He returns to practice in pads and runs.  Zach Taylor says they would never trade him.  I understand some sentimentality for players, but if someone is dangling a 1st or even a 2nd for him, they would be crazy not to make that move.

It makes zero sense for Cinci to hold onto him unless he’s already agreed he will sign back up in the offseason. Why not get something now in a totally lost season for them when they may end up with nothing. I’m not sold the bills should be a team willing to spend heavy on green but somebody sure as heck should. If, big if, he’s healthy he’s a legit #1 receiver even with injury bugs. I’m not sold on buffalo trading for him because I don’t think it matters who you bring in, until Allen can see the field what’s the point? He can barely utilize his weapons now. It’s like giving a kid studying for his learners permit the keys to a Ferrari and saying have fun. Allen cannot see the field yet, he can rarely make the correct decisions. Adding in an all pro receiver sounds great, but he’s the only going to be targeted 2-5 times a game the way this season has looked. 

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It makes zero sense for Cinci to hold onto him unless he’s already agreed he will sign back up in the offseason. Why not get something now in a totally lost season for them when they may end up with nothing. I’m not sold the bills should be a team willing to spend heavy on green but somebody sure as heck should. If, big if, he’s healthy he’s a legit #1 receiver even with injury bugs. I’m not sold on buffalo trading for him because I don’t think it matters who you bring in, until Allen can see the field what’s the point? He can barely utilize his weapons now. It’s like giving a kid studying for his learners permit the keys to a Ferrari and saying have fun. Allen cannot see the field yet, he can rarely make the correct decisions. Adding in an all pro receiver sounds great, but he’s the only going to be targeted 2-5 times a game the way this season has looked. 

John Brown is targeted more than 2-5x per game. 

Duke Williams had 4 catches on 4 targets in our last game. 

....but Josh Allen won’t be able to get the ball to AJ Green?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

John Brown gets targeted more than 2-5x per game and he’s not A.J. Green.  

Duke Williams had 4 catches on 4 targets in our last game. 

....but Josh Allen won’t be able to get the ball to AJ Green?

I don’t think he’s ready, it’s not like adding green can hurt the team (minus the draft picks it’ll take to get him). 

I just don’t see the point, everything good about AJ Greens game is everything bad about Allen as a quarterback. 

Allen is kind of terrible most times at any real timing throws or throwing to where his receiver will be. He’s definitely not very good finding his mismatches pre snap. He’s not a cerebral quarterback yet. What good is adding another weapon if he can’t see wide open guys in the middle of the field and throws it 15 yards past them to a receiver blanketed? Technically green would be the #1 on the team talent wise, I don’t think he’d have #1 production at all here though 

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think he’s ready, it’s not like adding green can hurt the team (minus the draft picks it’ll take to get him). 

I just don’t see the point, everything good about AJ Greens game is everything bad about Allen as a quarterback. 

Allen is kind of terrible most times at any real timing throws or throwing to where his receiver will be. He’s definitely not very good finding his mismatches pre snap. He’s not a cerebral quarterback yet. What good is adding another weapon if he can’t see wide open guys in the middle of the field and throws it 15 yards past them to a receiver blanketed? Technically green would be the #1 on the team talent wise, I don’t think he’d have #1 production at all here though 

So far this season:

We’ve had no deep threat opposite Brown due to Foster’s injury. 

Finally moved off Zay and brought up a big bodied, physical WR in Duke.  That had been lacking for the first 4 games.  

Have had to play the last 3 games with no explosive threat out of the backfield.  Gore is still very good, but he’s only a threat to bust it 20-30 yards up the A/B gaps. 

Still, through all that, and Josh still on his learning curve, a guy like John Brown has 28 catches for 390 yards through 5 games.   That’s more receptions & yards than both Julio or OBJ.  

All that should make people excited to get Josh more weapons...  

Edited by SCBills

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not ready for a better supporting cast?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

That's exactly why a talent like Green would help Allen. He's a guy who can just go get it and makes a ton of plays well defended. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Shahid Khan also said he doesn’t want to trade Jalen RAMSEY. And every coach gets the vote of confidence just before getting fired. Not very much to read into when smoke screens are the norm.

Green has been hurt often. I’d like him to be a James Lofton who came in later in his career and made his career here. But I have a sinking suspicion he’ll be an older version of Sammy Watkins. A highlight reel game followed by 8 weeks of game time decision injury status.