Rule changes to make game safe

peterpan

I feel like the helmets should be better. These hard plastic ones are like cars of the 60s, you get in an accident and the car is fine, but the passengers are messed up. Seems like a lighter helmet that can crumple and break would absorb more of the energy from impact. When it gets too bad throw it away and get a new one. Not something feasible for lower levels of competition, but it seems like something the nfl could do. But what do I know, I'm just a guy with a thought. 

On 10/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, H2o said:

I like two college rules, the targeting rule they use and how they say a player is down once they hit the ground. I would also like to see the NFL adopt more of a college style of overtime as well. 

The targeting rule is a great idea, but the problem is the NFL does everything wrong. The league is a poorly officiated unjust mess with Roger and Kraft as commissioner. The NCAA manages to get rules right most of the time, while the NFL would mess it up. I can already imagine everyone getting ejected against the Pats, while the Pats players take guys heads off with no penalty. The only way the NFL improves player safety is by Goodell actually taking something seriously for once. This league won’t accomplish much progress until new leadership eventually takes over imo. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The targeting rule is a great idea, but the problem is the NFL does everything wrong. The league is a poorly officiated unjust mess with Roger and Kraft as commissioner. The NCAA manages to get rules right most of the time, while the NFL would mess it up. I can already imagine everyone getting ejected against the Pats, while the Pats players take guys heads off with no penalty. The only way the NFL improves player safety is by Goodell actually taking something seriously for once. This league won’t accomplish much progress until new leadership eventually takes over imo. 

I think you are a wee bit too fixated on the excellence of the Pats

On 10/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, ddaryl said:

This is so simple even a cave man can figure it out

Anfan Bubble Bumper Balls 1.5M 5FT Diameter Inflatable Body Knocker Ball Sumo Bubble Soccer Bopper for Adults and Kids(US Stock)

1 hour ago, Wroughting said:

I feel like the helmets should be better. These hard plastic ones are like cars of the 60s, you get in an accident and the car is fine, but the passengers are messed up. Seems like a lighter helmet that can crumple and break would absorb more of the energy from impact. When it gets too bad throw it away and get a new one. Not something feasible for lower levels of competition, but it seems like something the nfl could do. But what do I know, I'm just a guy with a thought. 

I agree that perhaps a helmet design change could possibly help.  I keep thinking that the padding should be on the outside of the helmet as opposed to inside.  Perhaps an inflatable one foot thick bubble sort of like in ddaryl's picture except only the helmet.

Of course the players would look like Jack-in-the-box's kid which is perhaps partially why this isn't considered.

Just now, row_33 said:

I think you are a wee bit too fixated on the excellence of the Pats

No sir, I just think Goodell is a terrible commissioner. The hypocrisy of his leadership is astounding across the board. It’s not realistic to talk about player safety when you see Gronk jumping on guys, and Jones going for Allen’s head with no punishment. There’s nothing “excellent” about playing dirty with protection from the league. Everything about Goodell’s leadership has been awful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think one of the "rules" they have put in could potentially makes things more dangerous.  that's when a player fumbles and it's close so they let it go and the other team can challenge if they want.  I see some of the guys running around like it's still a live play and other guys thinking the plays over.   Dangerous.

IR is ruining the game IMHO.  It's a can of worms.  Where do you stop?  There are still tons of bad calls.  Bad calls are part of the game.  Get rid of IR and deal with it IMHO.

...make them train annually like players do......see what I said above......or are they exempt because they're infallible and have Pope Riveron giving him his "blessing"?.....despite the CONTINUAL decline, do you think the NFL gives a rat's azz as long as absurd TV revenues and corporate dollars feed the "cash cow"?......um....er...ok....right.....YAWN....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...make them train annually like players do......see what I said above......or are they exempt because they're infallible and have Pope Riveron giving him his "blessing"?.....despite the CONTINUAL decline, do you think the NFL gives a rat's azz as long as absurd TV revenues and corporate dollars feed the "cash cow"?......um....er...ok....right.....YAWN....

I don't think so.  But I do think they have a real problem with absurd complexity and subjectivity of the rules.  Then throw in that refs have to meet for extended periods of time to figure out what the rules are.  And, finally, the amount of time and lack of right calls with Instant Replay.  All of this could affect ratings.

There was always too much standing around in football anyway.  Now it's getting way worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't think so.  But I do think they have a real problem with absurd complexity and subjectivity of the rules.  Then throw in that refs have to meet for extended periods of time to figure out what the rules are.  And, finally, the amount of time and lack of right calls with Instant Replay.  All of this could affect ratings.

There was always too much standing around in football anyway.  Now it's getting way worse.

...I'm on board and agree with you bro....when you look at referee penalty stats, the HUGE dichotomy IMO comes from the allowable gray area interpretation of the rules...it breeds rampant inconsistency from one referee to the next......so does a team need to add "assigned referee tendencies" to their weekly game plan?......BS IMO.....

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm on board and agree with you bro....when you look at referee penalty stats, the HUGE dichotomy IMO comes from the allowable gray area interpretation of the rules...it breeds rampant inconsistency from one referee to the next......so does a team need to add "assigned referee tendencies" to their weekly game plan?......BS IMO.....

I think the rules are purposefully put in this way to give the refs and league wiggle room to maybe even affect the outcome they want.

I mean what would be wrong with saying a pass in complete if you catch the football and take 2 steps?   Simple and quantifiable and verifiable.  Bu if they put in the "football move" part they can justify calling whatever they want.

This is why I quit watching NBA basketball.  If I weren't addicted to football I would consider stop watching it as well.  After a few more games like last night I might have to reconsider.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Pope Riveron is fair and just ..... Pope Riveron is fair and just ..... Pope Riveron is fair and just ..... Brains ... Brainnns

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

A friend of mine had this idea: weight limits for offensive and defensive linemen.

That’s actually where most of the concussions occur— if you force everyone to play at 250 pounds or less (like they did in the 1970s), it may reduce concussive impacts. 

I think a300 lb limit would be more realistic but the idea has merit- but I would interested in how a 280 lb LB does with that rule.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I think the rules are purposefully put in this way to give the refs and league wiggle room to maybe even affect the outcome they want.

I mean what would be wrong with saying a pass in complete if you catch the football and take 2 steps?   Simple and quantifiable and verifiable.  Bu if they put in the "football move" part they can justify calling whatever they want.

This is why I quit watching NBA basketball.  If I weren't addicted to football I would consider stop watching it as well.  After a few more games like last night I might have to reconsider.

The way to break the addiction is to plan around the Bills and then only watch college otherwise. It is how I broke it- and I am not being sarcastic- I watch Bills only right now and I am happier.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think a300 lb limit would be more realistic but the idea has merit- but I would interested in how a 280 lb LB does with that rule.

You would have to adjust the weights of other players too, I guess. Maybe like 230 for LBs and safeties, TEs, and RBs. Not sure you need to regulate corners and WRs.

One drunk night we floated this idea: 

What if they removed 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalties. Specifically, late hits, helmet to helmet, etc. and instead of punishing the team with yardage, simply ejected the offending player. 

The theory would be that players would be more conscious of their actions because they would be only hurting themselves. How often is a game or drive derailed or extended due to a dumb penalty that was unwarranted? It can make the game unwatchable. 

Small offenses for 15 yard penalties would not be called any more while the larger, more egregious penalties would be severely punished. 

It wouldn’t make the game same necessarily, but maybe more watchable

Defensive holding or illegal contact shouldn't be automatic first down. 

Defensive pass interference should only be 20 yard penalty or spot of foul if less.

Extra point should be a 20 yarder again.

Lighten up on the qb roughing the passer rules.

Make those stupid endzone celebrations like when they play duck duck goose ILLEGAL.  Also, no more picture poses by defenses after interceptions please.  Act like you've been there before.

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I sat in common rooms with 6 fans on either side for a few years and both sides were convinced the refs were screwing their team every single play

even up 31-0 the fans were moaning about the refs

its a frame of mind, convinced The Man plots to ruin just you and your interests, not a good one for living a good life

• Like (+1) 1

With electronics we have, there has to be a better way to a) spot the ball and b) determine if the ball hit the ground on a catch and c) determine if there was Offside or the QB went over the line of scrimmage on a pass play and d) broke the plane on touchdown calls e) feet in bounds. 

Edited by Irv