Rule changes to make game safe

peterpan

The NFL definitely needs to adopt the NCAA's targeting rules, where the play is reviewed and the offending player is ejected. The NFL could take it a step further where that player only receives a portion of their game check (the portion they played) on top of fines. Repeat offenders face suspensions. As it stands now, a possible penalty and maybe a slap on the wrist from the NFL is just not a deterrent for this type of play.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This looks just like the letter Bob "Stick Your Fingers in my Butt" Kraft sends to referees each week accompanying the big check!

I figured why not even things up for a change, you know since we should be on top the AFC East if rules were applied fairly to Mrs. Brady. You know 5 intentional groundings alone or something like that...

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

I like two college rules, the targeting rule they use and how they say a player is down once they hit the ground. I would also like to see the NFL adopt more of a college style of overtime as well. 

I hate all of those ideas. Every single one of them. Please no...

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

A friend of mine had this idea: weight limits for offensive and defensive linemen.

That’s actually where most of the concussions occur— if you force everyone to play at 250 pounds or less (like they did in the 1970s), it may reduce concussive impacts. 

the NFL rules dictated that someone could not be over 250 pounds out there in the 70s?

...officiating continues to become far more complex, with unclear definitions and more gray areas left open to interpretation.....and the quality continues to decline and the game suffers due to rampant inconsistencies.........should have Officiating OTA's.......gather 'em all up and start with intensive classroom study to learn the "spirit/intent of the rule(s)".......sessions to review significant prior year's calls that were dubious and what the calls should have been......then move them to Officiating TC with live demos, on field stuff, positioning, etc......a ton to digest in a play that last seconds, but something is needed.....who the hell am I kidding?........all we need is Riveron so ignore my useless babble...SMH....

Here's one: if you injure a player and get flagged for a personal foul on the play, you're automatically suspended until that player is physically capable of playing again, as determined by an independent medical person.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its an unsafe game. How much more can you do? They already have turned tackling the QB into 2 hand touch.

Exactly.

The safest approach here, by far, is to not play football in the first place.

Either violence and injury sustained for entertainment is socially acceptable or it isn't.

If it is, leave it more or less as it is.  It's never going to be safe. 

If it isn't, stop playing the game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Exactly.

The safest approach here, by far, is to not play football in the first place.

Either violence and injury sustained for entertainment is socially acceptable or it isn't.

If it is, leave it more or less as it is.  It's never going to be safe. 

If it isn't, stop playing the game.

...so how did a guy like Bflo's own Billy Shaw, take time off from mixing cement in the 60's to come to Bflo to play ball for a whopping 18 grand a year, followed by a beer and butt every post game in front of his locker?......and then return home to mix more cement, which he did until age 66 to gain full social security because his NFL pension was so huge (COUGH)....what exactly has changed from then to now as far as the physicality of the sport?....bigger, stronger, faster?...sure..BUT it is on BOTH sides of the ball....isn't today's advancement in protective equipment technology FAR superior versus then?.....so what gives?.....

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

no— poorly worded sentence. In the 70s, it seemed like most linemen were naturally that size.

i remember one of the first 300 pounders, an O-lineman for the Oilers, he got injured and they had to bring out a forklift to assist in getting him off the field.

4 hours ago, peterpan said:

It's the bye week so I figured I'd start this thread......

What other ideas do y'all have?

The only way to make it safe.....is to make EVERY week a bye week! The human body was not meant to play this game. I heard that from a professional GM.   ?

They still hit you when you slide, just ask Josh. He’s fair game. Brady is untouchable. It’s like The Jordan Rules, but for football. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wasn't it Plaxico Burress who, after his first career reception, went to the ground during the catch - untouched - then got up and spiked the ball in celebration?

Don't know the answer, but it certainly sounds like something he would have done. Warming up for spiking a bullet in his thigh!

edit - Yup, it was him

Edited by Steve O
update

Good idea OP. I would also like to bring back the bump and run. Some day, most collisions in the game will be eliminated. Nearly every former NFL player tested has had some brain damage. You can only do so much to protect the brain because the collision that causes brain damage is the "2nd collision" where the brain hits the inside of the skull.

16 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Good idea OP. I would also like to bring back the bump and run. Some day, most collisions in the game will be eliminated. Nearly every former NFL player tested has had some brain damage. You can only do so much to protect the brain because the collision that causes brain damage is the "2nd collision" where the brain hits the inside of the skull.

the end of the bump and run was the pivotal point for my NFL watching (since 1973)

a combo of Mel Blount's tactics and Tatum paralyzing Stingley put the new rule into motion in 1978???

hasn't been the same since...   :(