Rule changes to make game safe

peterpan

It's the bye week so I figured I'd start this thread.  

The NFL clearly wants to make the game safer.  So far, I feel like their rule changes have, for the most part, made the game worse.  They are too protective of the QB (see Matt Milano last week) as one example.

In my opinion, one of the easiest ways to make the game safer, without ruining it, is to adopt the college rule where players do not need to be contacted while.on the ground.  Once you are touching the ground, you are down.  

With that change, any player sliding or diving would be protected, as there's no reason to hit them.  WRs diving or going low to catch a pass wouldn't need to be hit.  No more defenders diving low to hit players already on the ground.  

What other ideas do y'all have?

• Like (+1) 11

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The NFL clearly wants to make the game safer.  So far, I feel like their rule changes have, for the most part, made the game worse.  They are too protective of the QB (see Matt Milano last week) as one example.

In my opinion, one of the easiest ways to make the game safer, without ruining it, is to adopt the college rule where players do not need to be contacted while.on the ground.  Once you are touching the ground, you are down.  

With that change, any player sliding or diving would be protected, as there's no reason to hit them.  WRs diving or going low to catch a pass wouldn't need to be hit.  No more defenders diving low to hit players already on the ground.  

It would take a while for fans to get used to it, but it's a good idea. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I think this is a fantastic idea.

I also think there needs to be some sort of consistency with how/when "forward progress being stopped," is identified.  I think that would make the game safer.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  It’s truly a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

No,  its the difference between amateur an proffesional. You will never make the game safe as long as you have 2 abnormally huge men smashing into each other. Guys are only going to get bigger and stronger.

Dirty hits aren't professional.

I think the idea is fine. It's hasn't ruined the college game one bit.

Very different from the 2 feet inbounds catch rule difference. THAT is an actual demonstration of professional vs amateur.

• Like (+1) 1

Anytime somebody touches Josh Allen it is an automatic penalty.

The Bills can pelt Tom Brady with Dildos and turn every play into WWE finishing moves on said @$$hole.

Bills can hold as much as they damn well please.

Bills can run pick plays as often as they like.

Bills can interfere on both offense and defense as much as they like.

Any flag thrown on the Bills is automatically picked up without explanation.

Anytime the Bills don't score a TD there is an automatic pass interference placing the ball at the 1 yard line.

Every time the Bills score they just get 8 points because they obviously would've converted the 2 point attempt.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wasn't it Plaxico Burress who, after his first career reception, went to the ground during the catch - untouched - then got up and spiked the ball in celebration?

Really shot himself in the foot there didn't he?!:pirate:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Anytime somebody touches Josh Allen it is an automatic penalty.

The Bills can pelt Tom Brady with Dildos and turn every play into WWE finishing moves on said @$$hole.

Bills can hold as much as they damn well please.

Bills can run pick plays as often as they like.

Bills can interfere on both offense and defense as much as they like.

Any flag thrown on the Bills is automatically picked up without explanation.

Anytime the Bills don't score a TD there is an automatic pass interference placing the ball at the 1 yard line.

Every time the Bills score they just get 8 points because they obviously would've converted the 2 point attempt.

Really shot himself in the foot there didn't he?!:pirate:

This looks just like the letter Bob "Stick Your Fingers in my Butt" Kraft sends to referees each week accompanying the big check!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Dirty hits aren't professional.

I think the idea is fine. It's hasn't ruined the college game one bit.

Very different from the 2 feet inbounds catch rule difference. THAT is an actual demonstration of professional vs amateur.

he's a pats* fan so there is that.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

A friend of mine had this idea: weight limits for offensive and defensive linemen.

That’s actually where most of the concussions occur— if you force everyone to play at 250 pounds or less (like they did in the 1970s), it may reduce concussive impacts. 

Somehwere Dick Jauron is laughing hysterically.

Ok, no he his not. Skelator is unable to express emotion.

I can understand the theory, but it's not like the guys from the 70's didn't suffer long lasting health conditions themselves.

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the college game has plenty of targeting calls even with the play considered finished with ground contact.

You will never eliminate illegal contact.

However, stopping the play as soon as the ball carrier touches the ground, touched or untouched, will reduce the number of hits they do take.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

designate 2-hand touch only players, like in practice, with bright neon jerseys. 

This will also open up the league to female players.

Yeah, I hear this is exactly what women have been waiting for- to be chased around by overgrown men with Russian Olympic team levels of testosterone, who are getting paid millions to grope them in a full contact sport.  Sounds more like MeToo Hand Touch.

39 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

A friend of mine had this idea: weight limits for offensive and defensive linemen.

That’s actually where most of the concussions occur— if you force everyone to play at 250 pounds or less (like they did in the 1970s), it may reduce concussive impacts. 

Sounds like pee wee football where kids big for their size cannot play.

I like two college rules, the targeting rule they use and how they say a player is down once they hit the ground. I would also like to see the NFL adopt more of a college style of overtime as well. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1