I’m just going to come out and say it - this is the year

On 12/1/2019 at 12:15 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

1990-1993 AFC was a joke.  Glitzy young QB's but mentally and physically soft teams with inferior coaching.

The Bills were no joke.......it's a shame that they didn't break the NFC stranglehold on the SB because they had as much or more talent than ANYONE........but their biggest issue most weeks against the AFC was making sure they showed up. 

Their tendency to play down to the lousy AFC competition from 1991-1993 was maddening.    Whenever I watch the Belichick Pats consistently make sure to finish off the Bills it harkens me back to some of the days the Bills went easy on those sorry old Pats team.   Hugh Millen even took the a SuperBills team to OT one time!   How hughmillenating!   The ultimate was the sorry performance in the 1991 AFC Championship game versus Denver where they played like they had zero interest in returning to the SB.    They should have beaten that team by 30.

But they were sensitive to the idea that they weren't NFC worthy and would get fired up to play the NFC teams in regular season and were actually 14-2 against the NFC in the SB era........which only served to illustrate that those SB losses were half caused by self doubt and by the lack of being battle tested down the stretch.   The NFC teams were building to a crescendo and saying things like "we are competing against our own standard" while Marv was just tryna keep his ridiculously talented team interested for a couple quarters so they could get a big lead and put it in cruise.   

The two losses to the NFC were in games in which they had already clinched home field advantage and rested numerous starters (against Washington in the final game of the 1990 season and against Detroit in OT in the final week of the 1991 season). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

This team has what it takes to win 13 games and make a serious run at the AFC Championship.

I’m no homer. Trust me. That said - it’s time we stop being afraid of believing in this team. This isn’t 2004 or 2008 or 2011. 

It’s also time we stop thinking that progress is linear and we aren’t ready yet. Three reasons why 12 wins should be the minimum expectation for this team:

1. The schedule is as easy as it’s going to ever be. Easiest schedule in the NFL going forward. You have to take advantage of that. 

2. The defense is dominant. Third year in this system, they have arrived. Edmunds is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Pro. Best safety tandem in football. A shut-down corner. And DEPTH. There is no reason for this team to not impose their will on each of the 11 offenses they will face moving forward.

3. The offense is better than they have showed. They aren’t scoring enough points yet. They’re turning it over too much. But they’re moving the ball (12th in total offense). Allen is only going to get better. The brand new pieces should improve as the season goes along. We have seen this offense at its worst - and we have won 4 out of 5 (possibly 5 out of 5 if our QB hadn’t gotten concussed).

No excuses. 12 wins minimum. 

Defeating the Cowboys on the national stage was a nice start, however it was only a start. Need to see more.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Boston newspaper giving a lot of credit to a former Patriots coach that's subtle.

Gee-whiz man, a headless chicken?  Tough guy move there, Boston Globe.  I guess that is better than Brady=Plastic Adult Toy.

Edited by ScotSHO

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The two losses to the NFC were in games in which they had already clinched home field advantage and rested numerous starters (against Washington in the final game of the 1990 season and against Detroit in OT in the final week of the 1991 season). 

They basically could have skunked the NFC in those 4 seasons.    As I recall there were 3 big statement road games against the NFC......@ San Fran, @ Dallas and @ New Orleans where pundits thought they were going to get smacked around and instead they won them all.